Financial Aid Question for dental students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckeye4lyfe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm applying this cycle and just had a general financial aid question. So I understand what actual financial aid we will get. But I was wondering if what was offered covered not only school expenses, but also rent, food, and other outside-of-school expenses? In other words, is the financial aid refund you get (after school fees are paid) enough to pay for everything else too? So there's no need to get a job?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Your cost of living is taken into consideration when Uncle Sam determines how much they want to give you. After the school takes what they are owed from your loans, the remainder comes to you in the form of a rebate which is supposed to be used for your cost of living.

Your cost of living is taken into consideration when Uncle Sam determines how much they want to give you. After the school takes what they are owed from your loans, the remainder comes to you in the form of a rebate which is supposed to be used for your cost of living.

Gotcha. And does the rebate usually cover everything else like food, gas, computer, etc. Essentially what I'm asking is if the refund is enough to let you live comfortably and not be broke all the time and need a job? Like I pay my own phone bill, car insurance, etc so I wanna make sure the refund will help with those too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gotcha. And does the rebate usually cover everything else like food, gas, computer, etc. Essentially what I'm asking is if the refund is enough to let you live comfortably and not be broke all the time and need a job? Like I pay my own phone bill, car insurance, etc so I wanna make sure the refund will help with those too.

You will be allowed to borrow enough to live frugally. Each defines their indirect costs differently, so some schools may allow you to receive funding to cover the cost of owning a car, but others (generally those in cities with public transit) will not. You will be expected to live a student lifestyle and not one of luxury.

You will be allowed to borrow enough to live frugally. Each defines their indirect costs differently, so some schools may allow you to receive funding to cover the cost of owning a car, but others (generally those in cities with public transit) will not. You will be expected to live a student lifestyle and not one of luxury.

Thank you!

Budget. Budget. Budget. I suggest getting the EveryDollar budget app.