Financial Aid Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentallife10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, just started dental school this week. My school uses only unsubsidized loans to pay for Fall tuition and then both unsubsidized and grad plus for Spring tuition. I have some money saved up that I am going to put into tuition and I am wondering when would be the most financially beneficial time for me to do this. Should I use it this semester and accept less unsubsidized loan money? Or should I accept the max unsubsidized loan amount now and put this money towards tuition in the Spring since the grad plus loans have higher interest rates?

Basically what I am asking is if I can take out more money in unsubsidized loans in the Spring (and thus use less of the higher interest grad plus loan) if I take out less in the fall?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, just started dental school this week. My school uses only unsubsidized loans to pay for Fall tuition and then both unsubsidized and grad plus for Spring tuition. I have some money saved up that I am going to put into tuition and I am wondering when would be the most financially beneficial time for me to do this. Should I use it this semester and accept less unsubsidized loan money? Or should I accept the max unsubsidized loan amount now and put this money towards tuition in the Spring since the grad plus loans have higher interest rates?

Basically what I am asking is if I can take out more money in unsubsidized loans in the Spring (and thus use less of the higher interest grad plus loan) if I take out less in the fall?
Sounds like a good plan. Taking out less grad plus and less of a loan now also avoids the interest from starting to accrue.
Just make sure you leave yourself money to live.