Finding Academic Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterofmonkeys

Angy Old Man
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancee has informed me that she will kill me if I attempt to do a family medicine residency or another fellowship. So I'm being forced to find a real adult job. I'm partial to academics because I want residents to do most of the actual work and want access to cushy government level insurance and retirement plans. Also sovereign immunity. And prestige.

Anyway, I'm having the hardest time finding posted openings, but at the same time know that everywhere is always hiring. Should I just start harassing departments directly? Alternatively, if anyone knows of any academic (or academic-associated with residency and med school presence) openings in Texas or Florida, let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

At risk of feeding troll, I can tell you almost every single academic medical center is looking for a clinical psychiatrist. Your options are somewhat limited however, unless you trained at a major training center, as they often retain people from their own residencies or only hire also from training centers. Your best shot is asking where you trained. After that you should ask the local programs and start there.

With respect to the reasons you prefer academics--sorry to shatter your weird vision of what academics is like, but 1) nobody does your work for you. residents slow you down. and that's only for inpatient. residents see their own caseload for outpatient. 2) insurance/retirements are often not as good these days as you anticipate. 3) be prepared to get a huge sticker shock with salary. Starting salary for academia is around 150k. For private we are starting to see 250-300k all in first year comp at a facilities based job. A lucrative private practice can pay even more than that. So this more than balances out the retirement plan factor...

Reactions: 2 users
My fiancee has informed me that she will kill me if I attempt to do a family medicine residency or another fellowship. So I'm being forced to find a real adult job. I'm partial to academics because I want residents to do most of the actual work and want access to cushy government level insurance and retirement plans. Also sovereign immunity. And prestige.

Anyway, I'm having the hardest time finding posted openings, but at the same time know that everywhere is always hiring. Should I just start harassing departments directly? Alternatively, if anyone knows of any academic (or academic-associated with residency and med school presence) openings in Texas or Florida, let me know.

Have you considered a VA position that has academic ties?

Members don't see this ad :)
We're sort-of academic here in Texas. Always hiring. Good part of "sort of" academic is higher pay. Looking for a new chair, too.

With respect to the reasons you prefer academics--sorry to shatter your weird vision of what academics is like, but 1) nobody does your work for you. residents slow you down. and that's only for inpatient. residents see their own caseload for outpatient. 2) insurance/retirements are often not as good these days as you anticipate. 3) be prepared to get a huge sticker shock with salary. Starting salary for academia is around 150k. For private we are starting to see 250-300k all in first year comp at a facilities based job. A lucrative private practice can pay even more than that. So this more than balances out the retirement plan factor...

I realize I don't post here as much as I used to, so that's on me. But uh. I was being very tongue in cheek and assumed everyone would know that.

Reactions: 1 user
Have you considered a large ACO like Kaiser? Lots of academic or applied research. Opportunities to lateral into consulting or administration. Pay is decent, great vacay, insurance covered including disability, and the retirement plan is insane: lifetime healthcare with a pension ~60% of your highest salary averaged over three years. That would be like buying a 3-4 million dollar annuity.

You gotta work for the money though... and Kaiser ain't for everybody (though they seem to be improving under public scrutiny.)

Last edited:
I realize I don't post here as much as I used to, so that's on me. But uh. I was being very tongue in cheek and assumed everyone would know that.
It's was obvious to me. I don't know why others felt you were trolling instead. I know of a few academic child jobs in NJ if you change your mind about location. And we get sarcasm up here.

Reactions: 1 users

Just curious, if you don't mind answering, what would be the appeal of doing a family medicine residency at this point if you are already CAP?

You mention "real adult job" as it contrasts with family medicine residency/fellowship jobs that were mentioned in the previous sentence. I'm not sure where you are in training or if you have had an attending job in the past. One of the potential downsides to being in an academic position where "residents do most of the actual work" is if they are not performing to your standards, then as sluox wrote above, it really slows you down. You might have to (1) wait until the resident is done with the note(s) until you can fix it/them, which might be fairly late in the evening if the resident is a slow worker, or maybe the next day depending on when discharge summaries are due, then (2) spend the time editing the note. I write that this is a potential downside because some people choose to be very precise, and might therefore spend a lot of time working late, whereas other people might not let resident-level imprecision bother them. A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with two of my intern-year classmates, who are now both in different fields, and they both described the same experience of how time consuming it is to edit resident notes. Time spent certainly depends on the individual, and I have no idea how you work, but it's something to consider, especially if this is going to be your first job as supervisor.

I don't know about anywhere in Texas or Florida, but in general, you could try to go to the medical school web site, or the university web site, and then check to see if you can find a section specifically dedicated to faculty job postings, which is sometimes located in a different area than other non-faculty jobs.

We're sort-of academic here in Texas. Always hiring. Good part of "sort of" academic is higher pay. Looking for a new chair, too.
Would be interested to hear more about what you mean by "sort-of." I'm imagining the few hospitals affiliated with our university / medical school that don't have nearly the same load of training responsibility compared to the big academic centers. (For example, one of them has a TY residency and some med student rotations, but is an otherwise fully staffed hospital including L2 trauma.)

I ask because "sort-of" academic is where I'd like my future to be. Academic enough to facilitate a small amount of research/teaching/grand rounds, but not so academic as to destroy my salary...

Well I can tell you what my wife did to find a new academic position. She looked at the careers site for faculty positions and this particular institution has these positions on their main careers site (others have them as a part of an academic medical group, school of medicine careers site, etc.). She applied for the job and looked at the department website to find the division director. At little Google-fu and she found his e-mail address (division directors are usually researcher folks so you can find their e-mails on journal articles or school research websites). She e-mailed him directly and expressed her interest. Within a month she interviewed, was offered the position and finished negotiations... which was much quicker than we thought it would happen.

She's CAP too and the job she took pays better and has less hours than her current position... pretty much a perfect mommy track position all things considered. She actually worked with this position during an externship during medical school so she's been keeping an eye out for it because she enjoyed the patient population and it was a pretty chill environment. So there are good jobs out there if you look for them.

Last edited:
I'm confused... so what is your actual reason for desiring an academic job?

With respect to the reasons you prefer academics--sorry to shatter your weird vision of what academics is like, but 1) nobody does your work for you. residents slow you down. and that's only for inpatient.

So my attending holding an admit that came in at noon, while I was away on other residency related activities, for me until 5pm really is "so I can learn". Despite me learning from the 3 admits and multiple follow ups, I had earlier in the day.

Oh, the sacrifices that are made.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
I am a recent graduate who is now an attending in a hospital where I sometimes have trainees and sometimes don't. I personally feel that med students slow me down (since many of them are totally clueless and need a lot of direction to know what to do or what to ask) but residents can be quite helpful. Even if a resident is totally clueless about psych, most of them are quite capable of obtaining history, calling collateral, and writing a decent note. That makes it a lot faster for me to swoop in, confirm the pertinent history/plan, and then peace out. Obviously you still need to check their work and make sure they aren't doing recklessly dangerous things with patients, but I think it's usually a little easier than doing everything yourself.

you are still eligible to work an adult psych job though.....and taking a VA position is (by far) going to be your best bet to meet your listed criteria. You are going to make a good bit more money with much better benefits all in all at the VA, and (residents or not) work a lot less at the VA than you would in a clinical academic position.