Finding jobs after optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-optometry student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start optometry school next year and I was wondering how hard is it to find a job after optometry school? What are the biggest factors that influence getting a job? Dose it matter if you graduate from a newer school such as MCPHS or UIW Rosenberg School of Optometry because those are the two schools that I am currently considering. Do most people find jobs during their externships?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you want to practice? What kind of practice do you want to work in? Do you know any practicing Optometrists?

I was hoping to maybe work in Pensilvania eventually since my family lives there, and maybe one day to own a privet practice. I know a couple optometrist that I shadowed but they all went to PCO so I don't know if they prefer students who went there instead of a new school that they might have not have heard of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've asked several optometrists whether going to a newer school decreases job chances. Their answers were all along the lines of "no, not really, since employers are just intererested in whether you have a license and passed your boards." A couple said that going to a newer school might decrease your chances of getting into a residency, though.

I've asked several optometrists whether going to a newer school decreases job chances. Their answers were all along the lines of "no, not really, since employers are just intererested in whether you have a license and passed your boards." A couple said that going to a newer school might decrease your chances of getting into a residency, though.

In my experience, I've shadowed (older) doctors who look down upon the newer schools as less credible than the ones they are more familiar with. They said they were less likely to hire from those schools and encouraged me to go to schools that were more 'established'. However, the doctor that I currently work for just took on two recent grads from a newer school, so it all depends!

In my experience, I've shadowed (older) doctors who look down upon the newer schools as less credible than the ones they are more familiar with. They said they were less likely to hire from those schools and encouraged me to go to schools that were more 'established'. However, the doctor that I currently work for just took on two recent grads from a newer school, so it all depends!

Do you know how much those new grads are getting paid? I have read a lot of negative things about optometry and that optometrist don't make a lot. I am worried about paying off my loans after I graduate.