Finding out where you matched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j4pac

Prior Flight Surgeon PM&R attending guy
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something that benefited me last year. I applied to only advanced programs, and matched. However, since I didn't match to a transitional year the NRMP allowed me to know the location of where I matched. Of course...I had no desire to match to a transitional year, since I had already completed an internship...but that didn't matter.

I called up NRMP and the first person shut me down. I called again and the next person, a nicer person, gave me the location.

Please realize that you can only find out where you matched if, 1) you matched advanced and not transitional, or 2) you didn't match and your partner in a couples match matched. Otherwise...don't bother.

Also realize that they will not give you the name of the program, only the location. For me, I knew the program because it was the only program I applied to in that city.

ALSO...DO NOT GIVE THE NAMES OF UNMATCHED PROGRAMS. IT'S A MATCH VIOLATION. I WAS TEMPTED TO DO IT TO HELP OUT A FEW OF MY FRIENDS...WITHOUT KNOWING IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES. DON'T DO IT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Why is it a match violation to tell the names of unmatched programs? Doesn't that data get release anyways when they say what programs went matched and unmatched after SOAP anyways?

Why is it a match violation to tell the names of unmatched programs? Doesn't that data get release anyways when they say what programs went matched and unmatched after SOAP anyways?

Then the programs don't get a bunch of calls from people that are not SOAP eligible and take time and attention away from the actual work to be done...

i had some prelim programs on my rank list (only primary rank list). i matched today and it just says ive matched and Im not eligible for SOAP. Does this mean I didnt match into the prelim on my list?

This is something that benefited me last year. I applied to only advanced programs, and matched. However, since I didn't match to a transitional year the NRMP allowed me to know the location of where I matched. Of course...I had no desire to match to a transitional year, since I had already completed an internship...but that didn't matter.

I called up NRMP and the first person shut me down. I called again and the next person, a nicer person, gave me the location.

Please realize that you can only find out where you matched if, 1) you matched advanced and not transitional, or 2) you didn't match and your partner in a couples match matched. Otherwise...don't bother.

Also realize that they will not give you the name of the program, only the location. For me, I knew the program because it was the only program I applied to in that city.

ALSO...DO NOT GIVE THE NAMES OF UNMATCHED PROGRAMS. IT'S A MATCH VIOLATION. I WAS TEMPTED TO DO IT TO HELP OUT A FEW OF MY FRIENDS...WITHOUT KNOWING IT WAS AGAINST THE RULES. DON'T DO IT.

Did your email say "You matched into an advanced program" even though you already were in process of completing an intern year and did not even rank any prelims? Or did it just say "Congratulations! You matched!" ?

i had some prelim programs on my rank list (only primary rank list). i matched today and it just says ive matched and Im not eligible for SOAP. Does this mean I didnt match into the prelim on my list?
I only ranked prelim programs and matched into a prelim program. The wording on mine says "you have matched into a 1 year program". Therefore, if yours just says that you matched, then you probably did not match only into a prelim program.

Same thing happened to me. I had some prelims on my list (at the bottom, as a backup). My email just says I matched and am not eligible for SOAP. Everyone I've spoken with says I've matched into a categorical position, hence the ineligibility to SOAP into an advanced/categorical spot. I obviously want to believe this and am 99% sure they're right, but I'll feel VERY relieved on Friday once I know with certainty I'm matched into a categorical position.

that information is only released to those who go unmatched...it is only released to the public months later.

I only ranked prelim programs and matched into a prelim program. The wording on mine says "you have matched into a 1 year program". Therefore, if yours just says that you matched, then you probably did not match only into a prelim program.

good to know. you're right most likely i matched into a categorical on my list.

Does that mean you are eligible for SOAP? I remember reading if you are unmatched or partially match (prelim) then you are eligible for SOAP. also just curious why did you only rank prelim positions? no secondary rank list?

good to know. you're right most likely i matched into a categorical on my list.

Does that mean you are eligible for SOAP? I remember reading if you are unmatched or partially match (prelim) then you are eligible for SOAP. also just curious why did you only rank prelim positions? no secondary rank list?
Yes eligible for SOAP. Failed to match Uro back in January.

For those interested, last year I applied to ONLY advanced programs and matched. Here is the body of the email I received...just to prevent any confusion:

Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a preliminary-year position!

Unfilled program information has been posted in the NRMP® Registration, Ranking, and Results® (R3®) system for applicants eligible to participate in the Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program® (SOAP®). To determine your SOAP eligibility, log in to the R3 system and view your status on the Match Home page.

If you are SOAP-eligible, click the SOAP link on the Left Menu Bar to access the List of Unfilled Programs. Because you matched to an advanced position, your access to unfilled program information will be limited to preliminary positions. Under the terms of the Match Participation Agreement, you may apply only to the programs on the List of Unfilled Programs and you must use ERAS to submit your applications. You can access ERAS at 1:00 p.m. eastern time today, and ERAS will send your applications beginning at 2:00 p.m. eastern time.

It is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement to contact programs other than using ERAS or to have any individual or entity contact programs on your behalf prior to the programs initiating contact with you. It also is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement to post the List of Unfilled Programs to any listserv or to share the information with anyone who did not register for the Match or who otherwise is ineligible.

For policy information and step-by-step instructions on how to use SOAP, review the User Guide found in the R3 system under the Help section or the SOAP resources on www.nrmp.org.

Good luck in SOAP!

NRMP Staff
National Resident Matching Program®
2121 K Street NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20037

Follow us on Twitter: @TheNRMP
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheNRMP

@cwcwcwcw

Has anyone else tried to see which state they matched into?

Anyone ever tried calling NRMP to find out where their prelim year is when they matched ophtho via SFMatch? I mean, *technically* I'm partially matched through NRMP...

Anyone ever tried calling NRMP to find out where their prelim year is when they matched ophtho via SFMatch? I mean, *technically* I'm partially matched through NRMP...

Only one way to find out. ;)

Hahaha... maybe I'll try tomorrow. I'm kinda chicken though, I don't wanna get in trouble.

i mean i applied to neuro.. and most programs are linked (guaranteed prelim spot with advanced) or categorical.
My email only says you have matched ! and not eligible for SOAP, does not say anything about whether I matched advanced and prelim or cat.

1. can I use this tactic? still?
2. since it did not specify that I matched to both prelim and advanced, should I assume I matched to categorical?

thanks

i mean i applied to neuro.. and most programs are linked (guaranteed prelim spot with advanced) or categorical.
My email only says you have matched ! and not eligible for SOAP, does not say anything about whether I matched advanced and prelim or cat.

2. since it did not specify that I matched to both prelim and advanced, should I assume I matched to categorical?

thanks

http://www.nrmp.org/faq-sections/applicants-faqs/

How will I know if I matched to a program?

thanks

No. You matched to either a C or A/P combination. Just wait until friday.

Reactions: 2 users