Finding supervision/jobs with MA counseling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychgirl757

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if it was difficult finding supervision when you only have your MA degree (mine is in counseling psychology) in order to achieve your LPC? I know some sites would like you to pay for the supervision, but how does one search for sites? Have people just been calling and asking if they are willing to supervise a student to get clinical hours?

For instance I'm living in Philadelphia and I'm not sure how to go about this process since I was determined to get my doctoral degree. I also know that states have different regulations, but I'm asking how to go about finding a site who will provide you the necessary supervision.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Every state is different - of course - but I am assuming you have already completed a practicum (at least one semester) and an internship (where you provided mental health services) of one or two semesters - 600 to 900 hours. Once you graduate then, you will need to complete a residency (post masters, prelicensure).

In my state, that used to be done in community mental health centers. Pay was decent, supervision provided, case loads grueling, but a lot of those jobs have dried up. The great thing is that other areas have opened up.

I would start by asking your internship site if they can keep you on as a resident and if they are not paying you for internship, ask if you can stay on as a resident and be paid and/or have supervision provided. I did an unpaid internship, supervision was included, I commuted 130 miles round trip, but it was worth it because of the great training I received. They were unable to hire me for residency because I was not bilingual and those were the only paid positions they were creating at the time.

I would also talk to your program director and find out where other LPC residents have done their hours.

Are you a member of the ACA? Jobs and supervisors are listed on their website for members.

Join the ACA (great rates for liability insurance) and also join your local chapter or state counseling association. Network and reach out to others in the field who are in your area.

I am assuming you already have verified with the state board of counseling that your degree is eligible for LPC residency.

The jobs are out there and you are in a large metropolitan area - it will take some networking and digging - but you will find something.

Vasa Lisa

Thanks. Yes, I completed my practicum and internship and graduated in June '11 in Denver, but I have moved back to the east coast. Do I have to take the NCE exam before I applying for internship? I was pursuing a doctoral degree, so did not have a chance to take the NCE when I was in my master's program. Thanks again for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I checked out the board of counseling for PA and indeed it does appear that you need to pass the NCE and be a NCC for licensure. In some states the NCE is required. In my state it isn't required. Passing means I have book knowledge of the theories of counseling. My state requires the clinical vignettes exam - the NCMHCE. It is a tough exam - but I do value the stringent requirements for licensure. (mostly :)

After I complete my 4000 hours and 200 hours of supervision, I apply to the state board to become an LPC candidate and ask for permission to take the exam. When I pass - I am an LPC. Looks like PA requires 3600 hours.

http://www.dos.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/state_board_of_social_workers%2C_marriage_and_family_therapists_and_professional_counselors/12524

Gosh it is harder to network when school was in CO and work is in PA. I would start with the local chapter of your state counseling association. Go to the meet and greets, put your name and interests out there and maybe even sign up for ihirementalhealth. It used to be free - not sure if it still is. Most of their jobs can be found listed in other places, but my experience is that they do a great job of aggregating them in one place.

And if you can't find anything - take a job in case management to get your foot in the door - and then when there is an opening for a clinician - apply for it - you will already be a known and valued quantity who knows the agency's systems.

Vasa Lisa

I was wondering if anyone had a rough estimate/range of what one would expect to make during those 2 years of post-graduate supervision with an LPC/LSW (working towards an LCPC/LCSW).

Low twenties to high forties - depends on where you live and if there is a mental health provider shortage. I found lots of jobs in rural mental health clinics where supervision toward licensure was provided. Don't know if you still have ties to CO - but there are lots of underserved areas that are constantly recruiting.

I posted the link earlier - but why don't you join the COUNSGRADS listserv. You will get more detailed experience from someone in your locality and it is another way to network for jobs and opportunities.

Vasa Lisa

I was wondering if anyone had a rough estimate/range of what one would expect to make during those 2 years of post-graduate supervision with an LPC/LSW (working towards an LCPC/LCSW).

There is a huge difference between the LPC and the LCSW. Social Workers work in jails, prisons, schools, hospitals, universities all branches of the military as well social service agencies and county and state mental health. Most LPCs are in private practice.

There is a huge difference between the LPC and the LCSW. Social Workers work in jails, prisons, schools, hospitals, universities all branches of the military as well social service agencies and county and state mental health. Most LPCs are in private practice.
I disagree with much of this statement. I would guess that this is very state dependent. Where I am from, LCSW's and LPC's typically work in all of the same settings and function in the same capacity. Some places might still favor the LCSW, however, I know of LPC's who work in almost all of the settings you listed.

I disagree with much of this statement. I would guess that this is very state dependent. Where I am from, LCSW's and LPC's typically work in all of the same settings and function in the same capacity. Some places might still favor the LCSW, however, I know of LPC's who work in almost all of the settings you listed.

Do LPCs serve in the military? Do they work in prisons in California? Are they required to work in medical settings?

Do LPCs serve in the military? Do they work in prisons in California? Are they required to work in medical settings?
As I said, they work in most settings, not all. I am not able to answer your question regarding the prison system in California, as I am not from there, and am unaware of their hiring practices. I am not aware of them being "required" to work in medical settings, however, in my state they are not excluded. Like I said, some places still prefer the LCSW license and will hire them over the LPC. I do believe that you are correct that LPC's do not practice in the different branches of the military, however, as of recent, they have been able to work in the VA system. I appreciate your input and I don't doubt that many LPC's work in PP by you, however, I just wanted to make sure that other readers understand that LPC's have other options outside of PP.

If you have the MS in Counseling Psychology with practicum and internship hours, some of these hours may count towards your three-years of supervision for LPC. Some students who have been in the doctoral tract but were not able to finish the doctoral degree may opt for the LPC licensure. The MS degree in Counseling normally has briefer practicum rotations and the internship is typically only a semester long to six-months long rather than a year-long internship. I believe all of these hours may count towards your LPC licensure. Commonly, a review of your transcript and recommendations by the LPC licensing board allows you to become provisionally licensed and then you may begin the supervised experience. Normally, the NCE exam needs to be passed before beginning the post degree supervision in most States. However, some States have different requirements.

You indicated that you really wanted to obtain the doctoral degree or you were in a doctoral degree program. Are you planning on re-applying in the near future or returning to being a doctoral level student? I believe if you are in a doctoral program, the year of supervision is reduced to two-years and you may count your practicum and internship for your doctoral degree program towards your supervision hours. Also, if you pass the NCMHCE, I believe the duration of supervision is reduced by six-months to a year.

If you are planning on returning to a doctoral program, the master's degree LPC license is eligible for NHSC loan eligibility application whereas only APA accredited doctoral level clinical or counseling psychologist are eligible for NHSC eligibility for licensed psychologist. Additionally, the LPC license now allows for employment in the VA and IHS. Some doctoral level program are now encouraging their students to apply and gain licensure as an LPC during the doctoral level studies.

Your first option would be to contact the LPC board in Pennsylvania regarding your degree. Some LPC Boards have changed the requirements and they will not allow for Counseling Psychology credits in a Psychology Department but they will allow for Counseling credits in a Counseling Department. With all of the doctoral programs on the East Coast have you considered applying to any of the counseling or clinical psychology programs?

Last edited: