Finding the right mentor for MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charizard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From my understanding of the application process for PhD programs, one should focus on finding the right mentor and project for the program. Does the application process for an MD-PhD use a similar format in which prospective students should contact potential research mentors and look for their specific projects? Or should MD-PhD students look for other criteria/factors?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, you want to just try and it into the best institution you can first, then worry about finding a mentor/project. If you already have a strong feeling about a certain type of research, mentor or field of medicine, you can use that to narrow/focus on certain instituitions and then mention this in your application/during the interview. Some people see this as a bonus - when the applicant knows what they want. Sometimes we'll get an applicant set on doing neuroscience/epidemiology etc..., but no real good reason as to why they are so certain. In those cases I see this as naivety if they only have cursory experience of the given field (i.e. they want to be a neurosurgeon because of Dr Oz). I digress