Finding Work as a Level I Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sukie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it difficult to find work as a Level I intern? If so, I want to make sure I keep my current pharmacy job. Would you recommend working the first year of pharmacy school? I'm thinking one or two days a week shouldn't be too bad.... Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

UF recommends you work no more than 10 hours a week during the school year.

I've been wondering about this too. I definitely need to work as an intern as soon as I start pharm school, but how exactly do I apply for a job and tell them that I can only work one day a week? Would we get any job placement help at all from our schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am changing careers after many years. So now, at almost 40, I am looking for a pharmacy clerk type position. I am going around and applying at all the local hospitals and retail outlets. Is there anyone here who feels proficient in reviewing resumes who would be willing to look at mine? Please PM if you can help me out.

Thanks.

It's not hard to find a job at all. The people in our class who don't have pharmacy jobs just don't want them. You will have no problem at all around here. The school usually forwards any job oppertunities to the pharmacy students. People will always hire interns.

Hey Michele,
Do you live near Tampa? The company I work for has an automated pharmacy in Tampa Fl. You get full benefits even if you work part-time.

Yes, I am about 30 minutes easy commute from Tampa.

We got the "no more than 10 hours" spiel, too. I did an average of 25 hours per week during my P3 year-it didn't hurt my GPA/job offers any. In fact, I feel that my time at work was beneficial in my time management.

Chain pharmacies use intern programs as major sources of recruitment. They can pay you a little more than a CPhT, and get you sucked into their culture. Then, while you're working your 1-2 shifts/week, you take a loan/scholarship from them. By the time job offers come around, they figure:
1. You'll go where you are most comforatble (where you've interned for 4 years, and learned the system)
2. You already owe the a few thousand dollars, so why not get it forgiven by putting in your time repayment?

There is one Wags in the area of my school. No intern is assigned more than 2 shifts/week due to the high numbers of interns there (I think they had 2 techs and 16 interns on roster). All the interns go to Mpls for the summer, and Wags makes allowances for them to stay in the system during the school year by allowing them to all work at this local Wags. The payroll and the hour budgeting are just ignored in the spirit of recruitment.

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
It's not hard to find a job at all. The people in our class who don't have pharmacy jobs just don't want them. You will have no problem at all around here. The school usually forwards any job oppertunities to the pharmacy students. People will always hire interns.

:thumbup: good to know! So then how long after school started did you apply for an internship position, and how long after you applied did you start working?

~roxy

Originally posted by karmapatroL
:thumbup: good to know! So then how long after school started did you apply for an internship position, and how long after you applied did you start working?

~roxy

They sent us an email with intern spots open, I applied about 6 weeks into school and I started working a few weeks later. It wasn't a big deal at all.

Originally posted by karmapatroL
but how exactly do I apply for a job and tell them that I can only work one day a week?

don't worry karma, they expect interns to work only about that much a week. Some places may require that you work more but others will be fine with it. i'm sure you'll find a flexible place that will allow for just one day a week. My place has been allowing me to do only 4hrs/week this year.

In California, it is not too difficult to find an intern position as a first level pharmacy student. However, summer intern positions at Walgreen, Sav-on, Rite Aid just to name a few are extremely competitive because the program is designed to also teach the business side of the company. But regular intern positions at those companies are not as difficult to obtain.