Finish or not to finish?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CUNYguy

The City Kid
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a junior in a city college in New York for clinical lab science (minor in sociology). I want to apply to med school and not take a gap year after graduation. The problem is I have yet to take OChem 2, and Physics 2. Should I take these courses then take the MCAT2015? Or is it best to power through alone with the textbooks and review books to learn the material to take the pre-2015 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a junior in a city college in New York for clinical lab science (minor in sociology). I want to apply to med school and not take a gap year after graduation. The problem is I have yet to take OChem 2, and Physics 2. Should I take these courses then take the MCAT2015? Or is it best to power through alone with the textbooks and review books to learn the material to take the pre-2015 MCAT?

Learn the material, THEN take the MCAT. You would have to teach yourself two semesters worth while also studying for the MCAT in the next six months. OChem 2 is less of a big deal, but still I would not take the MCAT unless I was confident in my understanding of ALL possible material.
Gap years aren't so bad!

I would consider it very foolish to take a high stakes, career deciding exam without taking the courses.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that a lot of material for 2015 MCAT is hard to deal with, but I am going through with the plan. Hopefully enough of us will be in the same boat that our scores will be enough to get into med school.

The fact that a lot of material for 2015 MCAT is hard to deal with, but I am going through with the plan. Hopefully enough of us will be in the same boat that our scores will be enough to get into med school.

What plan? The test scale is predetermined. There aren't a given proportion of 30's, 31's, etc for a given test day. Taking the test without being prepared will lead to a lower score, period. Just because there may be a larger group with lower scores does not mean your chances are improved.

Those that are taking the test early in 2015 will not have a lot of test prep materials out there. There will be two official practice tests. Most test companies say they won't have material available until the beginning of 2015. Fewer resources will level the playing field for a time. Of course, I could be entirely wrong and I will lose out to all the people who raced to take the old MCAT, but since I won't be done with physics until spring 2015 I am screwed either way.

I have no objection to taking MCAT2015 since I'll already have my biochem foundation from my lab science curriculum; I'm minoring in sociology, so that should be pretty straight forward with me (since I've taken many courses, and done studies); and psychology has been a backbone for me in my freshman/sophomore years.

The reason why I ask is that I already have OChem 1 and Calculus Physics 1 under my belt, so I understand the fundamentals, but I'm a bit anxious about how the revamped MCAT will be and since the pre-2015 test has already been around for many years, so there's more solidity in it (in my eyes).