About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

finished MD, now considering phd or master. please advice!

Discussion in 'Physician Scientists' started by medc, Dec 8, 2009.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. medc

medc

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I'm an IMG, ECFMG certified (95, 95), who is now considering going into research. My final GPA in medical school was 3.4 and I have never done formal research.

I like mostly clinical research, but would also consider academic medicine.

I have some questions. If anyone has advice or experience regarding any of them, please post, I'd appreciate any input.

1. How much is the GRE taken into account for MDs pursuing phd?
    2. what would be realistically considered an acceptable score in the GRE to get into a phd program? 800? 900? 1000?
    3. Would you recommend going for phd or going for combined internal medicine/research residency program?
    4. would it be better to pursue phd in clinical research or phd in basic sciences (for either clinical research or academic med)?
    5. would I need to have a state medical license to do clinical research or academic medicine? (at university or pharma company)
  2. cyneuron

cyneuron cyneuron

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member

GRE is just one part of Phd application....and yes it one of important component....all other things matter...your research experience, publications...letter of recommendations carry a lot of weight...

research based fellowship after residency is a good alternative to doing Phd after MD (Not MD in case of IMG; having ECFMG certification doesn't make us MD in a US graduate sense; certification is meant only for residency application)

clinical or basic science; i think it will to early to choose...both are equally interesting and challenging...it all comes down to you experience and interest..see what interests you most...try to read journals and articles of your particular research interest...talk to the people who are already doing that kind of research....

hope it helps....
  3. cyneuron

cyneuron cyneuron

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member

GRE is just one part of Phd application....and yes it one of important component....all other things matter...your research experience, publications...letter of recommendations carry a lot of weight...

research based fellowship after residency is a good alternative to doing Phd after MD (Not MD in case of IMG; having ECFMG certification doesn't make us MD in a US graduate sense; certification is meant only for residency application)

clinical or basic science; i think it will to early to choose...both are equally interesting and challenging...it all comes down to you experience and interest..see what interests you most...try to read journals and articles of your particular research interest...talk to the people who are already doing that kind of research....

hope it helps....
  4. cyneuron

cyneuron cyneuron

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member

hope it helps....
  5. cyneuron

cyneuron cyneuron

Post Doc
    SDN 2+ Year Member

hope it helps....
  6. GWD

GWD

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I can't remember what I got on the GRE, but I don't remember it being particularly difficult. Certainly it's less rigorous than the MCAT or USMLE, so I can't see it giving you much of a problem.

What about a research fellowship though? I can't rattle any specifics off the top of my head, but I know from reading through biosketches that there are many such programs out there which lead to a PhD.

Glad you caught the bug though... I sometimes wish I hadn't :)