Finished with the NBOME!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonofva

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to give myself a shoutout by saying that I just got my COMLEX 3 score back and pulled a 690! Never again will I have to deal with nbome or aoa! In fact I'm going out back to burn the Savarese book right after this.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Don't burn it, a phoenix of AT Still's spirit will rise from the ashes. Then it will fling to the breeze a banner of whoop-ass.

Reactions: 13 users
I just wanted to give myself a shoutout by saying that I just got my COMLEX 3 score back and pulled a 690! Never again will I have to deal with nbome or aoa! In fact I'm going out back to burn the Savarese book right after this.

You are living the dream my friend!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you technically done if you do an AOA residency? I'm legitimately curious and do not know how it works. Say you do family med residency - are you certified by the ACOFP if you AOA residency and ACFP if you do an ACGME residency? And if you do an AOA residency, do they still have OMM/OMT questions on the certification exams? I don't mean to hijack the thread, but your comment got me thinking.

If you finish an AOA residency before the merger, I believe you have to deal with the AOA for all eternity. After death you have to spend your time demonstrating OMM in practicals while being graded by the ghosts of AT, Freddy Mitchell, Larry Jones, and Bill Sutherland.

(Really, I think you need to maintain AOA membership to stay board certified through an AOA residency, and I do believe there is OPP on osteopathic board exams, but someone can comment on if this varies by specific board.)

Reactions: 1 users

I have never been so envious of anyone in my life.

String work, my friend.

If you do an AOA residency, you are only eligble for the AOA board certifications. I think most (if not all) AOA board certification exams have an OMM questions. I think some of the boards have an OMT Practical component as well (I think the AOBFP has it). I don't think the AOBIM have an OMT Practical component but do have OMM questions on the written exams.

One of the requirement for taking the AOA board certification exams, and ongoing requirement to maintain certification, is to be a member of the AOA in good standing. So if you do an AOA residency, or do an ACGME residency and decide to get AOA boarded for whatever reason (via Resolution 56), you will have to be a member of the AOA to remain board certified. The AOA also started doing OCC (osteopathic continuous certification) recently, similar to the MOC on the MD side.

If you do an acgme residency, or do a dual acgme/aoa residency, or do an acgme (formerly aoa post merger), you can take the ABMS members board (ABFP, ABIM, etc) ... obviously no OMM/OMT questions or practical. You do not need to maintain membership in the AOA, nor the AMA, or AAFP or ACP, etc. You do have to pay money to the relevant board (ABFP, ABIM, etc) and with the new MOC requirements, jump through more hoops to maintain certification (the AOA has the equivalent, called OCC)

/still have my Savarese book somewhere, even though last time I touched it was to refresh my OMM for COMLEX 3 many many lunar eclipses ago. Still do occasional OMT on friends/family members for MSK complaints - it's a nice tool to have in the toolbag.

I think most (if not all) AOA board certification exams have an OMM questions. I think some of the boards have an OMT Practical component as well (I think the AOBFP has it). \

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Don't burn it, a phoenix of AT Still's spirit will rise from the ashes. Then it will fling to the breeze a banner of whoop-ass.
Haha! Laughed so hard! Also, nice play on words, I see what you did there. The answer is 1874 by the way.