Finishing med school in oz?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orion113

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya all..

I'm currently a 3rd year med student in France. The med school here is 6 years so basically the same as undergraduates in Oz.

My question is : does anyone know about the possibilities of finishing med school in Oz when started abroad?

Are there ways I could be accepted directly in 4th year in Oz (with equivalences) for ex. and then finish med school, internship, residency etc. in Oz?

Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hiya all..

I'm currently a 3rd year med student in France. The med school here is 6 years so basically the same as undergraduates in Oz.

My question is : does anyone know about the possibilities of finishing med school in Oz when started abroad?

Are there ways I could be accepted directly in 4th year in Oz (with equivalences) for ex. and then finish med school, internship, residency etc. in Oz?

Thanks for your help!!

It's difficult enough to transfer between med schools in Australia (in fact I've never heard of anyone doing so), without further complicating the matter by the fact that you're studying in France.

Currently it's not too difficult to gain an internship spot in Australia as an international graduate, but local graduate numbers are rising each year so there's no guarantee by the time you finish your degree.

Thanks a lot for the reply!

That's mainly what I thought but was worth a try...

I have thought about coming after med school, but my problem is that in France they only give you your MD after internship etc....which is a problem as most countries only accept interns if they have a MD, that's why I was checking for transfers before the end of med school...anyway, still got 4 years to go...

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the reply!

That's mainly what I thought but was worth a try...

I have thought about coming after med school, but my problem is that in France they only give you your MD after internship etc....which is a problem as most countries only accept interns if they have a MD, that's why I was checking for transfers before the end of med school...anyway, still got 4 years to go...

Thanks again

If that's the issue you may be eligible for the Fifth Pathway without completing your internship in France ( if you were interested in coming to the US for residency).

Thanks for the info...but after looking into it, it would seem that only citizens, residents etc . who have graduated from an american college or uni are eligible...too bad could have been great!

anyway, thanks again

If that's the issue you may be eligible for the Fifth Pathway without completing your internship in France ( if you were interested in coming to the US for residency).

It is my understanding that the 5th pathway is ending and will no longer be an option in a year or two from now.