Finishing pre-reqs at another school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poliscimajor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently graduated with a degree in Political Science and a minor in Biology from a private school in Pennsylvania and I've recently begun to consider pursuing a career in medicine because of some life events that would take a long time to describe here. As of now, I have a 3.4 sGPA that alone had been on an upward trend from a 2.9 sGPA in my freshman year. I will still need to complete a semester of Physics + lab, a semester of Orgo, and complete Orgo lab. Unfortunately it's not feasible to take these classes at my alma mater and I don't have the money to do an official post-bac in the more prestigious institutions. However I can take classes by signing up as a non-degree student in a state school (not main campus because that's too far from me). The problem is that I'd be finishing up pre-reqs at a non-flagship state school vs a well known school, which I'm not sure how that's viewed upon to adcoms.

Also, this option would be financially feasible for me to retake some of the B-s I got in some of my pre-reqs; would it be worth it to take them at state university?

Members don't see this ad.

Nobody cares where you take you premed classes, as long as you do well in them. As for the B- grades, I'm not certain I would even bother retaking them. I think rocking a couple of upper level science classes, like biochem, would be a better use of your time.

Last edited:
I think what you're asking is whether taking classes at a less prestigious school will worsen your med school admission chances. Nobody can answer that, but I agree with the previous poster that it's not going to matter.

GPA is everything, and yours has damage. It's not that bad, but that number carries more weight than the name of your school. Point being: keep getting A's in hard science classes.

Don't retake B minuses. MD schools will still include them in GPA calcs - no retake forgiveness. Take harder classes such as biochem, microbio, immuno, etc.

Best of luck to you.