Finishing Rotations August 2016 but Applying to Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharm21

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My friend is graduating in May from osteopathic medical school, but he will finish his rotations in August. He missed a few months and has to make those months up, but the school will let him graduate/walk with his class in May, but he won't get the official diploma until August when he finishes. Will he be able to register for the match and apply to allopathic family medicine residency programs if he starts the residency in September? He doesn't mind scrambling. Also, how many family medicine programs should my friend apply too in general?

He's not sure if he could apply on ERAS to allopathic residency programs since although he graduates in May, doesn't finish rotations until August...so he wouldn't be ready to start late June/July 1st but would be ready to start Sept. 1st. If he gets any interviews...he was going to write it on his application and be honest about his start date during interviews. I know after the match, there is a contract written up so obviously his would start later. I know he is applying to osteopathic programs, but he wasn't sure about allopathic training programs.

Members don't see this ad.

AFAIK nearly every single MD residency starts in either June or July.

If he's not done with all his med school rotations by then he'll have to wait another year to apply for the match.

I would appreciate any other input on this. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

My friend is graduating in May from osteopathic medical school, but he will finish his rotations in August. He missed a few months and has to make those months up, but the school will let him graduate/walk with his class in May, but he won't get the official diploma until August when he finishes. Will he be able to register for the match and apply to allopathic family medicine residency programs if he starts the residency in September? He doesn't mind scrambling. Also, how many family medicine programs should my friend apply too in general?

He's not sure if he could apply on ERAS to allopathic residency programs since although he graduates in May, doesn't finish rotations until August...so he wouldn't be ready to start late June/July 1st but would be ready to start Sept. 1st. If he gets any interviews...he was going to write it on his application and be honest about his start date during interviews. I know after the match, there is a contract written up so obviously his would start later. I know he is applying to osteopathic programs, but he wasn't sure about allopathic training programs.

Your "friend" should really be talking with his Dean about this one -- they would have the information he needs and could possibly address this in his MSPE letter. He's not the first and certainly won't be the last to do this. Medical students like to think they know WTF they're talking about but most are musings of a mind filled with neuroses -- have your "friend" talk with the Dean.

It's highly unusual for a resident to start in August (and likely impossible). If he's not ready to start by mid-June (typically when orientation starts), he'll need to sit out this year's match and apply next year. He needs to speak with his Dean. This is not something to take lightly. There may be options for him other than graduating in August and doing "nothing" for 10 months... Delaying his graduation until next year (and doing either more clerkships or some sort of research) is likely a better option. But again, he needs to speak with his Dean and advisors.

In the end, many people on here do not know these type of situations and are more familiar with the typical scenario of finishing rotations in May, graduating and starting residency/orientation late June with residency starting July 1st. Some would also advise you to just add a year so you can do research and then apply as you will be ready to start the following year early. It all depends on what specialty you want to do and where you want to start and if you are flexible with the scramble. There are hundreds of spots open after the match.

Last edited: