Finishing with a 3.4-3.6 first semester ok?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chris127

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like in my first semester I will probably end up with a 3.4-3.6 depending on whether I can gut it out on these upcoming exams. Is this OK for a first semester? I mean, I'm stil figuring out time managment skills, and living in a dorm doesnt help, epescially when you come back from the library at 10pm only to find someone sleeping in your bed. So anyway, I do plan to work much harder next semester, as it should be a bit easier anyway since I will be sharing an apartment and will be acclimated to the college enviroment. So a 3.4-3.6 really shouldnt hurt me this first semester, as long as I can pull some 3.8s-4.0s in later semesters?

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. 3.4 isn't exactly entering the realm of hopeless; you want to bring it up, but it's not terrible.

Chris127 said:
Looks like in my first semester I will probably end up with a 3.4-3.6 depending on whether I can gut it out on these upcoming exams. Is this OK for a first semester? I mean, I'm stil figuring out time managment skills, and living in a dorm doesnt help, epescially when you come back from the library at 10pm only to find someone sleeping in your bed. So anyway, I do plan to work much harder next semester, as it should be a bit easier anyway since I will be sharing an apartment and will be acclimated to the college enviroment. So a 3.4-3.6 really shouldnt hurt me this first semester, as long as I can pull some 3.8s-4.0s in later semesters?

dude, are u a freshman? just chill out and dont worry so much about grades. i ended my first year with a 3.33 gpa and ended junior year (right before applying) with a 3.9. huge improvement trend on my primary app.

enjoy college. it's supposed to be the best year of your life. i rather have a 3.8 with friends than a 4.0 with no friends at all. and you're only a freshman... you still have 3 long years to go with research, extracurriculars, more grades / prereqs, LORs, volunteering, shadowing, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes I am a freshman, in my first semester, and it looks like I will finish with a 3.4 3.6 (2 As, 3 Bs or 3 Bs, 2As)

Just wondering if this is ok, and if anyone else here stuttered in their first year and pulled a 3.75. Although, that brings up the question if a 3.4 is stuttering, or average for a pre med.

You ought to shoot for a 3.7 or higher. Finishing with a 3.4 your first semester is no big deal, just pull it up and you'll be fine

if anything thats better. more room for improvement. get a 3.6 next semester, a 3.8 after that and then 4.0s for all the rest.
-mota

I earned a spectacular 3.07 my first semester at college, 3.14, 3.24 the next two, and then 3.85+ for the rest of it. I graduated with a 3.7 cum and haven't had any problems with interviews yet. Don't get your panties all in a bunch over a first semester gpa. You're exactly right that you're just getting used to the college lifestyle, and yes dorms do suck. Build on your experiences and always keep a positive outlook; you'll do just fine.

Rjuza333 said:
Don't get your panties all in a bunch over a first semester gpa.

uhhhh. the OPs name is chris. but i guess you never know what's goin on down there.
-mota

Chris127 said:

3.4-3.6?? how do you expect to get into med school with those measly numbers?? jesus-fvckin-christ. do you know what kind of doctors 3.4-3.6 gpa premeds become?...doctors that KILL...KILL...KILL. anything less than 4.0, and you're at b!tch status...and NOBODY likes a little b!tch, especially med schools...get your act together. you better go find a cure for cancer or you're screwed.

of course you're doing fine... ;)

Chris127 said:

Hey Chris. Don't worry too much.

I had a 3.4 or 3.5 (can't remember exactly) my first quarter and have a cum. GPA now of 3.79.

I was also kinda worried about my "low" (or what i thought to be low) grades after first quarter b/c I heard that college gets exponentially harder after the first year (and it does). But after getting used to college life I learned how to study really well, and I'm sure you will too. Good luck!

lizanne11 said:
Hey Chris. Don't worry too much.

I had a 3.4 or 3.5 (can't remember exactly) my first quarter and have a cum. GPA now of 3.79.

I was also kinda worried about my "low" (or what i thought to be low) grades after first quarter b/c I heard that college gets exponentially harder after the first year (and it does). But after getting used to college life I learned how to study really well, and I'm sure you will too. Good luck!

Did you really think college got harder after the first year? I have actually found my sophomore year courses to be somewhat more difficult in material, but easier to pull a high GPA (the subject of the thread). Any other thoughts?

solitude said:
Did you really think college got harder after the first year? I have actually found my sophomore year courses to be somewhat more difficult in material, but easier to pull a high GPA (the subject of the thread). Any other thoughts?

How would more difficult material make it easier to pull a higher GPA? Was it just harder material, but is smaller amounts?

Yes I am a freshman, in my first semester, and it looks like I will finish with a 3.4 3.6 (2 As, 3 Bs or 3 Bs, 2As)

Just wondering if this is ok, and if anyone else here stuttered in their first year and pulled a 3.75. Although, that brings up the question if a 3.4 is stuttering, or average for a pre med.
I am also a freshman this year, and I have a 3.4 GPA. I feel extremely hopeless about next semester.

holy crap, the last time this post was updated, I was in middle school...

Reactions: 1 user
I am also a freshman this year, and I have a 3.4 GPA. I feel extremely hopeless about next semester.

While you may be a freshman this year, Chris127, the poster that you quoted, was a freshman 12 years ago. If they continued on their pre-med track, they will likely be toward the end of their residency or in clinical practice at this point.

Reactions: 1 user
holy crap, the last time this post was updated, I was in middle school...
I was super stressed out, so I looked up everything that talks about a low gpa during first semester in college. lol

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone above me is lying. You’re ****ed. There is no way in hell you can improve your GPA in 3 and a half years and you should give up. Switch to communications.