USMLE Firecracker users

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlanders85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently started using Firecracker and find I am retaining information a lot better vs other sources (Pathoma, FA, Goljan, Kaplan, etc). Do you think Firecracker and Qbanks alone is enough to master the material? My test date is April 14th.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently started using Firecracker and find I am retaining information a lot better vs other sources (Pathoma, FA, Goljan, Kaplan, etc). Do you think Firecracker and Qbanks alone is enough to master the material? My test date is April 14th.

Just found this interesting site: http://blog.firecracker.me/2013/06/18/how-to-score-a-266-on-usmle-step-1/

An FC user describes how he scored a 266 on Step 1 without FA. Just Firecracker, QBanks and Pathoma.

I can relate to his reason to not use FA. I find that reading books is extremely boring and I tend to space out after a few minutes. I can count the number of books I've actually finished cover-to-cover on 1 hand. I'd rather spend time doing flashcards and actual questions, which are actually engaging and allows me to retain information.

Do you care to elaborate on your thoughts on this, Analis?
Since FC is basically First aid in flash card form, it probably covers the material you need to master. However, step 1 is not just about memorizing First Aid. You will need to actually understand what you are memorizing. FC is not the optimal learning tool in that regard.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually find firecracker does have a good amount of additional information compared to first aid. It often elaborates on the mechanisms and mentions additional tidbits that are critical for answering questions in the QBanks.

Its biggest pitfall is highly inconsistent editing and quality of cards/questions. But if you like the system and find yourself retaining information, I think it's great. You can always keep first aid on hand for reference and then review it to see if there is anything you missed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
In my experience, using Firecracker is like being in a Vulcan Learning Pit, if you get the Star Trek movie reference.
Of course no resource stands alone (or was designed to be used alone). But for me Firecracker helps with retention of concepts previously studied, reinforcing, and fast recall.

Vulcan_Learning_Center.jpg