fired from clinical experience need advice for amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlaegoose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Getting fired during training stinks out loud on any day ending in "Y," especially when it's in a field you hope to enter. Go in early tomorrow to speak with the person in question who is responsible for hiring/firing, see what you can do and what they say. Are there other orienters who've seen your work who might be happy to speak for you? See if you can't contact them tonight.

It sounds like even though you've only been there briefly it's had an impact on you for the better for your view of medicine. Were I you, I'd be tempted to list the experience and talk about it in depth. I've only been able to get in on free clinic days via a national program a few times. They're only here and there but I still list them. (This said, I have lots of varied sorts of volunteering on my application, so if @Goro or @gyngyn or @LizzyM recommend otherwise, follow their lead.)

If you go in tomorrow and find that you're fired, get right back on the horse and apply for another position in a clinic or similar.

Reactions: 1 user
You are not obligated to list every job you've ever held on the AMCAS. If you want to add it to your AMCAS, you might think about how you will explain why you left and what job you took after that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't list it or talk about it in the application in any way.

soooooo you got in the way of your preceptor and talked s$%& in the break room?

don't mention that on amcas

Grovel. Sounds like, trying to be certain you were doing things right, you asked too many questions, leaving the impression that you didn't know what you were doing? Try explaining that in just a few words, saying you were trying to confirm and verify, not asking because you didn't know. And yes, get the trainers who did like you to come forward, if you can. Explain how much you really want this job and ask them to give you one more week 'on probation' before making up their minds.

If it doesn't work, follow LizzieM's advice about not listing it as a job.