Fired from CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmSlayer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got a residency offer last Friday and today I called and told my pharmacy supervisor that I would not longer be taking the position offered after graduation. I thanked her for the opportunity and experience. She was really angry that I had not mentioned this earlier but was told if I was even considering a residency I would not get a job offer. I told her that I would be moving out of state but that I wanted to work till graduation and possibly float while in residency. She told me that I would be terminated next week (3/31). I remember reading somewhere that if I declined the offer I could still continue to work as an intern until graduation. Should I contact the pharmacy intern coordinator or just let it go and forget about CVS?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got a residency offer last Friday and today I called and told my pharmacy supervisor that I would not longer be taking the position offered after graduation. I thanked her for the opportunity and experience. She was really angry that I had not mentioned this earlier but was told if I was even considering a residency I would not get a job offer. I told her that I would be moving out of state but that I wanted to work till graduation and possibly float while in residency. She told me that I would be terminated next week (3/31). I remember reading somewhere that if I declined the offer I could still continue to work as an intern until graduation. Should I contact the pharmacy intern coordinator or just let it go and forget about CVS?

No. You are terminated.

CVS policy is to terminate any interns who are not interested in working for CVS post grad, especially a p4. They do not want to pay 25 an hour among other training hours that they could have used for other interns instead.

Thanks. I just found what i read "Should you have another opportunity and choose not to accept our offer, your internship will remain in effect through March 31st, 2016."

Members don't see this ad :)
You can contact anyone you want but it is not likely to make a difference. Like Az said, why would they waste time/money/resources on someone who didn't mention they were trying to obtain a residency? Not that I think you made the wrong choice, but you made the choice to conceal that info and now you have the payoff. You made this bed, etc etc.

FWIW I think you should just be glad you got the residency and move on with your life. What is a few weeks in the grand scheme of things?

Reactions: 4 users
Wow, sounds like maybe you would have been better off just quitting, instead of having them fire you. I wonder if they would classify this differently in your personnel file, an automatic termination, as opposed to a termination because you did something wrong. I remember my care-free days after graduation and not caring if I ever worked at a certain place again. Now that I'm older, I realize the culture of places can completely change over time, and its best to always leave on favorable terms (if possible.)

Wow, sounds like maybe you would have been better off just quitting, instead of having them fire you. I wonder if they would classify this differently in your personnel file, an automatic termination, as opposed to a termination because you did something wrong. I remember my care-free days after graduation and not caring if I ever worked at a certain place again. Now that I'm older, I realize the culture of places can completely change over time, and its best to always leave on favorable terms (if possible.)

I thought the same thing but he said "I told her that I would be moving out of state but that I wanted to work till graduation and possibly float while in residency."

why do you feel they owe this to you? I don't get the sense of entitlement here. You're obviously not interested in working or staying there...don't waste their money or time training you. If she says you're fired...i'd let this go and move on.

Shouldn't have told her about the residency. I would have just said I'm moving out of state and putting in my 2 weeks notice that way you don't get potentially blacklisted from the company. Now that it's said and done I would just move on and not worry about it.

Did you actually think it would go over well? You are no longer of any use to them and you will be flagged as non-rehireable. Even if you didn't say anything specific they can always infer based on the timing of your notice. Why worry about burned bridges you never have to cross again.

thas why i hate people

Reactions: 1 user
Why worry about burned bridges you never have to cross again.

Because life is a long time, and one never knows when they might need that burned bridge again. Agreed, no use of worrying about it now that its done, but best practice is to never burn a bridge, because one may indeed want to cross it again.

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy is a small world. If you decide to wage war against your pharmacy supervisor, she could call the place you are doing residency and let them know how you retaliated to being fired. She might even know the residency coordinator so I would beware if she finds out you are trying to undermine her actions. Best action to take is go talk to her and mend your situation and be nice just in case in the future due to huge amount of pharmacy grads you end up applying for CVS job and they ask her about you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because life is a long time, and one never knows when they might need that burned bridge again. Agreed, no use of worrying about it now that its done, but best practice is to never burn a bridge, because one may indeed want to cross it again.

Depends on who burned the bridge. The OP's scenario plays out every year after match day. When you leave CVS expect them to find a reason to blacklist you from ever working for them again, like it's a privilege to work for them.

Well my sup actually said one time that most pharmacists working at CVS don't even deserve their jobs. Sociopathy is not that common among CVS field management but I wasn't surprised to hear these words.

I also know other sups that flagged even lowly techs as do not rehire for B.S. reasons because the tech left for a competitor. It actually did matter later on because the tech then reapplied to CVS. HRBP didn't want to get involved.

Do not give your sup any ammo to use against you but you can't control their response. HR will not care if you don't work for them anymore. Think of it this way. If at some point you have to return to CVS to pay the bills you are ****ed.

In the future after the pharmacy wars there will only be CVS, so I would try to be on your best behavior, you may one day need to work for CVS (Because We're Your Only Option™)

Well my sup actually said one time that most pharmacists working at CVS don't even deserve their jobs. Sociopathy is not that common among CVS field management but I wasn't surprised to hear these words.

I also know other sups that flagged even lowly techs as do not rehire for B.S. reasons because the tech left for a competitor. It actually did matter later on because the tech then reapplied to CVS. HRBP didn't want to get involved.

Do not give your sup any ammo to use against you but you can't control their response. HR will not care if you don't work for them anymore. Think of it this way. If at some point you have to return to CVS to pay the bills you are ****ed.

lol these people ... there are no words to describe them ... they are literally property of CVS

In the future after the pharmacy wars there will only be CVS, so I would try to be on your best behavior, you may one day need to work for CVS (Because We're Your Only Option™)

Ah yes, the future ... where you will have the privilege to fill 500 a day on your own without any help and have to be on top of super deep analytic metrics

Well 1st off congrats on the residency, thats a major accomplishment.... Now it may not have been the best decision to hide your intentions that you were pursuing residencies but it was a moot point due to 'Should you have another opportunity and choose not to accept our offer, your internship will remain in effect through March 31st, 2016' that was in your offer. If I was you I would write a personalized Letter of Resignation to your pharmacy manager, intern coordinator, district coordinator, and any people that may interviewed you. Just make sure you take the high road and thank them for the opportunity to intern with their pharmacy....Just out of curiosity how long was the time from you got your job offer from CVS and when you got matched?

ehh i think responses vary based off the company you work for.

i didn't tell my DM what i was doing but worked as an intern. i wasn't looking for full-time retail and DM asked me near the end...so what'cha gonna do? already the DM had some positions to fill and i said, nah i'd be available per diem/part time and DM was actually relieved to hear that...worried i'd just leave the company because DM didn't have anything for open for me really and was worried I might not like it and it all worked out.

let it go, you're looking for part-time/per diem and that's probably easier to find.

Just out of curiosity how long was the time from you got your job offer from CVS and when you got matched?
In 2009 CVS had all offers require response before midyear. Back then they also came with a cash bonus. It was ingenious because they would take a couple thousand out in taxes, so in order to "return the bonus" and go back on the offer, you had to come up with the tax money, too.

You always say you are planning you to stay with a company until the last second when you need to put in your notice. You don't owe them any special notice because they don't care about you as you found out. Chalk it up to a learning experience

You always say you are planning you to stay with a company until the last second when you need to put in your notice. You don't owe them any special notice because they don't care about you as you found out. Chalk it up to a learning experience
Treat it just like that Shaggy song, "It wasn't me"

But I heard you applied for residency...
It wasn't me

Saw your resume on Monster...
It wasn't me

Your new employer called me for a reference...
It wasn't me!

K-bye-thx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 8 users
I have no doubts the OP is on a list.
This isn't unique to CVS either.
I have seen the revolving door that is CVS employment. It's not impossible to be listed as unrehirable of course but I would suggest it is unlikely. Depends on the sups personality I suppose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Just let it go. I doubt after completing your residency you are going to want to go to retail. When I switched to working at a HIV clinic and then later Federal Services, CVS let me go. I say meh... I was angry at first )I gave them 12 years and thought I had earned some loyalty. But then I realized it's a corporation, and they don't really care.

Congrats by the way.

The only mistake I see is telling them too soon. You should have told them right before you wanted to have extra time to study for exams/going on vacation before residency etc. They would put in for 40+ hours as 'training' as soon as you graduate. Sometimes it would be as replacement of an actual pharmacist because they couldn't find coverage for that shift (in a store with overlaps/more than 1 rph).

Your supervisor is just a DM. She is a nobody in the world of pharmacy.

You don't owe her and CVS anything. I would have just worked until the last day and make up a story.

You: I have to tell you something

Her: what is it?

You: a sailor got me pregnant. I will be moving to Ukraine with him.

Her: oh wow! We have to throw you a going away party then! Thank you for your service!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
If CVS purchases all competitors in the future and changes their name to "Pharmacy Corp.", I'll switch professions before going back.