First aid 2009 vs First aid 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeedToStudy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an old version of First Aid from 2009. I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy the new first aid 2014? Are the changes significant or will an old version suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

lol is that it? I'm talking actual content. For ex. does the cardio section of 2014 have something that the 2009 doesn't have? Or is it just same information better presentation?

Honestly, I don't know.
I never owned a FA book until recently, because I will be taking steps this year and planned on using it to review.
Check ur PM

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have both, and recently made the same comparison. I suppose it all comes down to how you're planning on using FA, and how confident you are in your understanding of concepts.

For many recent grads for whom conceptual information is still fresh (I, on the other hand, have a few years!), FA is simply a memory trigger so using the older version doesn't hurt. Because my basic concepts have eroded somewhat, I'm getting the 2014 version for my second pass; I feel like I will do better with a book which has a greater density of information.

lol is that it? I'm talking actual content. For ex. does the cardio section of 2014 have something that the 2009 doesn't have? Or is it just same information better presentation?
I just found my 2012 edition the other day and the number of changes between the 2012 edition and the 2013 edition, and for that matter the 2013 and the 2014 edition, are so numerous that you're probably better off getting the 2014 edition. I have a lot of annotations in my 2013, and the painstakingly time-consuming ordeal of copying over all of my notes, underlines, and insights from various sources to the 2014 edition would be an unwise assault upon my already meager remaining amount of time. I'm going to carry around as well as add new annotations to my 2014 edition and use it as my primary while carrying around the old for all of the work I did on the 2013 edition. I thought about cutting the coil binding of my 2013 and recoil binding it with just the pages that have changes on them from the 2014 edition at the end of each chapter of the 2013 edition, and I found that even that's not very easily done. Carrying around both was also what a lot of upperclassmen at my school did.
So to answer your question, there are so many numerous changes and relevant facts and details added in that you're probably better off getting the latest version.

Edit:
I see that you were asking specifically about content. Well to give specific examples relating to the Cardiovascular Organ System, starting from literally almost the beginning of the chapter, FA 2013 Pg. 251 has a diagram on Intraatrial Septum Development whereas they've changed the entire section in FA 2014 Pg. 262. by simplifying and clarifying the diagram and adding a note on the Patent Foramen Ovale. To Intraventricular Septum Development they added a note on VSD that was not in 2013. On FA 2014 Pg. 264 they added a page on Fetal erythropoiesis and Hemoglobin development previously not there (but found in other sources, but it's good to have it in FA). They've updated the statements on Fetal Circulation. (2013 Pg 252, 2014 Pg. 265). On Cardiac Output they've added a statemens on Pulse Pressure (2013 FA Pg. 253, 2014 FA Pg. 266). They've added whole categories to the page on Cardiac Output Variables (short on 2013 Pg. 254, very long on 2014 Pg. 267).
All of that is just the first 6 pages of one particular organ system. The number of numerous minute changes between two versions is more than enough reason to just get the latest version.

Last edited:
So I have an old version of First Aid from 2009. I'm wondering if it is worth it to buy the new first aid 2014? Are the changes significant or will an old version suffice?
I think its worth it mostly because the cost is so minor compared to the benefits. This is the Step 1 we are talking about here, even if there was just one tidbit that was on the 2014 and not on the 2009 version that appeared on the exam, it's worth the 50 bucks you pay for the newer edition.

By the way I have the same question for BRS Pathology and BRS physiology. I have the 2nd and 3rd editions respectively. They're 10 years old. Should I get the newest edition or will the old one suffice?

I have a similar dilemma. I have had 2013 since it came out in January, and followed it with my courses pretty rigorously.

I would go as far as to say I nearly had the relevant pages memorized during many courses. I've also made some annotations here and there (most of it will come with uworld, though).

In my case, would it be worth it to just switch over to 2014? Even if content is mostly the same, I feel like my familiarity, down to the physical location of information on pages themselves, is a big plus, and I would lose that going to 2014.

Just a disclaimer, I have both. What I'm thinking is that I'll study the Psych chapter from 2014, and everything else I'll stick with 13, but study any additions in 2014 (like a new section). Is there any comprehensive list of additions to FA 2014 floating around?

I think everyone has made clear to just but the latest edition of first aid. I'm not sure if your half 2013 half 2014 strategy will work. Just buy the latest one and know it cold!