USMLE/COMLEX First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video-On Demand Discussion Forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
****** After March 18, 2011 - FIND UPDATED INFO AT - http://www.ApolloAudiobooks.com ******

Apollo will be giving away Six (6) "USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Packages" and Six (6) "USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Packages" to 12 lucky members! Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion on the Apollo Audiobooks USMLE-related forums. Step 1 Audio products will be raffled for posts on Step 1-related threads, and Step 2 Audio packages will be raffled for posts on Step 2-related threads. Each Total Audio Package is approximately a $350.00 value.

Announcing First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video On Demand!

Finally, First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has been produced in an audio-video version that is available on demand anywhere you have an internet connection. The Audio of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is read by real MD, PhD instructors with a firm grasp of subject matter. The Video covers the high-yield diagrams and figures in the text in a dynamic slide presentation format. So, with First Aid Online, you get the Audio Input and the Visual Input the stimulate your senses and engage your mind for true First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 "Total Recall."

With the First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video On Demand Package you Get

• 60 Day Access to First Aid Online Audio/Video Content
  • PLUS 60 Day Access to Costanzo Physiology Online Audio/Video Content
  • PLUS Printed Costanzo Physiology Texbook
  • PLUS 90 Day Access to USMLEWorld QBank Including Diagnostic Exam

What is covered in First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video?

The ENTIRE FIRST AID FOR THE USMLE BOOK - that is All 620 plus pages - is covered in this on demand audio-video production for First Aid. That makes this program a true, comprehensive review of First Aid in audio and video format.

How is the First Aid Material Presented?

First of all, each subject is broken up into approximately 15 to 20 minutes of digestible material. That means, if you only have 20 minutes to spare before a class, a meeting, or the gym, you can cover a lecture. OR if you are going to set down and really study for 8 hours, you can take a quick break every 15 or 40 or 60 minutes - knowing that you have just covered some of the best USMLE Step 1 review presented by some of the best USMLE instructors in the country.

Both the audio and the video slides of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 are presented in "Regular Speed," "1.5X Speed" and "2X Speed" so you can listen to the First Aid Audio and Follow along with the First Aid Video slides at your pace. Want to cover the material faster? That's easy, select the "2X Speed!" Want to cover the material like a regular lecture? That's easy - simply choose the "Regular Speed" version. With First Aid Audio, you can cover the material at your own pace!

With each slide, as the speaker covers the topic, the graphics are presented (when applicable). At the same time, the text, in the usual First Aid outline format appears and his highlighted as the topic is covered.

Watch the Free First Aid Audio-Video Sample Demo HERE.

What is the Advantage of First Aid Online vs. Just Using a Printed Text?

The quick answer is - time management. As a medical student, you may find yourself getting stuck trying to memorize the first chapter or first few pages of a book as dense and high-yield as First Aid for the USMLE Step 1. That's where the Audio/Video version of the program really comes in hand. So you get a 60 day subscription about 2 months before the USMLE Step 1. You know you need to cover the entire program several times. Simply take the total number of Audio-Video hours in the program and multiply that times the number of repetitions you want to make. That gives you your total number of hours - and you simply schedule it! Stick to your schedule studying the allotted number of hours each day, and your practically guaranteed to make it through the program as planned.

Because the First Aid Audio keeps you moving forward, you don't ever get stuck trying to memorize just one point or one page or one chapter. You keep ploughing through the material at your pace (Regular, 1.5X, or 2.0X) until you have covered it all. One time, two times, or even three! That is beauty of this First Aid Online Audio-Video program.

What Exactly Does First Aid "On Demand" Mean?

The "On Demand" part of First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video On Demand means you can watch the audio/video of the book anywhere you have a high-speed internet connection for the duration of your access. You can watch the First Aid review Where you want, When you want, As Many Times as you want - at no additional charge. At the coffee shop, at the breakfast table, at school, at the library - you can even take First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video to bed with you at night! It's that simple!

Apollo's Recommendations: How to Use the First Aid Audio-Video Package

Let's sum up with "How to Use" the First Aid On Demand package. As previously mentioned, First Aid Online comes with:

• 60 Day Access to First Aid Online Audio/Video Content
  • PLUS 60 Day Access to Costanzo Physiology Online Audio/Video Content
  • PLUS Printed Costanzo Physiology Texbook
  • PLUS 90 Day Access to USMLEWorld QBank Including Diagnostic Exam

With that in mind, ApolloAudiobooks.com recommends you get the First Aid Online Package at least 2 to 3 months before your USMLE Step 1 exam. This will give you time to take full advantage of the full 60 days of online audio/video content and the 90 days of USMLEWorld QBank content. Based on our experience with the USMLE Step 1. We would recommend you go through the complete First Aid Audio and Slides AT LEAST 3 TIMES, in their entirety before the exam. The Costanzo Audio and Slides should be covered AT LEAST 2 TIMES before the Step 1 Exam. Finally, as you progress further and further through you studies - you should depend more and more USMLEWorld QBank questions.

NOTE: Whenever you can listen to the audio of First Aid Step 1 and Costanzo Physiology with the textbook open in front of you - you should! Write notes in the text, star hard to remember subjects, and mark sections you need to pay special attention to the next time through the audio and slides online.

Suggested USMLE Step 1 Study Schedule with First Aid Online

Based on our experience, a 3 month home-study schedule with the First Aid audio/slides program would look something like this:

Month 1: Start with First Aid Slides/Audio make it through the entire program once.
Do a USMLEWorld Diagnostic Exam next - do some questions weekly to guide you on your weaknesses and other resources you should be using.
Proceed to Costanzo Physiology Slides/Audio online
Repeat First Aid Slildes/Audio.

Month 2: Do more USMLEWorld QBank Questions - do several hours of questions weekly
Repeat the Costanzo Physiology Online
Repeat the First Aid Step 1 Online Audio with Slides (this is the RECOMMENDED 3rd TIME through)

Month 3: Focus more and more on USMLEWorld QBank questions.
Use the questions to guide your areas where you need more review.
Use your notes in the printed First Aid Textbook and Costanzo Texbook and look over the "hard to remember" points.
Use other resources and books to cover areas in more depth where you find weakness in your QBank results.

Watch the FREE First Aid for the USMLE Sample Audio-Video Here

Finally, if you are interested in this fabulous First Aid USMLE Step 1 Audio-Video package, including UWorld Q-Bank, and Costanzon Physiology On Demand, click the link above to watch the sample video and SIGN UP TODAY!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is now available as both an audio-video on demand package and a printed textbook, we though it appropriate to revisit our Top 20 Reasons we Recommend First Aid for the USMLE Step 1.

First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Audio-Video On Demand Package Here

First Aid For the USMLE Step 1 Printed Textbook for Sale Here

Apollo's Review of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Here

The most intimidating thing I faced in medical school were the Step 1, 2, and 3 exams. These are the exams that will determine if you are EVER going to be a licensed physician or not!

I studied a lot of books along the way, but by far, my favorite was "First Aid for the USMLE Step 1.". And here are my top twenty reasons:

1. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is a comprehensive resource. It covers every subject on the USMLE Exam.

2. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is easy to read and follow.

3. First Aid for Step 1 can be used all year in your regular classes. As you cover biochemistry, you can study the biochemistry section for high-yield facts, for neurology the same, etc...

4. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has a great selection of mnemonics. Good mnemonics are like free answers on a test.

5. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has simple and informative graphics. If you can follow the figures, you can follow the flow of the text.

6. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 can be read over and over. My firm belief is that retention comes from repetition. You can read this book over and over until the information is drilled into your head.

7. First Aid for Step 1 is easy to get through. Reviewing for Step 1 is tough. Especially when you don't where to start or how to get to the end. With this book, you just start at page one and press on to the end. I recommend you read the whole thing as fast as possible, then go through it a second and a third time. With First Aid, this is easy to do.

8. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is as close to a "comprehensive" resource as you will find out there. There are some who argue that the book "does not contain everything." But my argument is that the book contains more than enough to pass the Step 1 exam. It all comes down to retention of the material. If you retain only 10% of the information in First Aid, you may fail Step 1. If you retain 95% of the material in First Aid, you have no choice but to pass.

9. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 - the "Most Common Associations Section" in the back of the text. It is a gold mine of useful information. Both for the exam and in clinical practice, these associations need to be in the fabric of your being. These associations will be the clue that instantly points you in the direction of the correct answer choice on Step 1. Your start reading the question, think you know the answer already, then finish the question, look at the answer choices, and BOOM - you were right from the beginning. These "most common associations" are what gave the answer away from the beginning.

10. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has the "Review Resources" section. This says a lot about the authors and publishers of the book, that they will review an promote texts other than their own. This is a great resource, when you realize that your 3000 page path book is too big to read - what's the next best thing? Just check out the "Review Resources" section.

11. First Aid Step 1 emphasizes the "high yield." There are certain things that every professor, book and review will touch on because they are important. These are emphasized in First Aid.

12. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 eliminates the "low yield." How do you fit 2 years of medical school into 500 pages, you have to eliminate all the extraneous material that comes along with the profound. First Aid does this well.

13. First Aid for Step 1 re-emphasizes "high yield" facts. If something is so important that it has a super-high likelihood of showing up on Step one, it is mentioned both in the body text, and out in the margin on the right hand side. In other books, these extra blurbs out to the side annoy me because they are used to explain body text. I would always ask myself "if the body text needs more explanation, why not just explain it in the body text?" That made sense to me. But blurbs for repetition and emphasis in this book are great.

14. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has great flow charts. Often times you need a way to think about information other than rote memorization. First Aid has great flow charts to help you organize all the information.

15. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has great "cognitive organization." That is to say the book presents material the way your brain things about material. For example, you can read an anatomy text about the muscles of mastication, vocalization and swallowing and never really know how to organize all that information. First aid has a section "muscles with glossus" and "muscles with palate" that help you cognitively organize the information in a way you can remember on a test.

16. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has great path slides and color photographs. These are classic photos and slides. Know them now, and remember them for the future.

17. First Aid Step 1 is a great reference. The book is fully indexed, so you can find what you want when you want it.

18. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has common abbreviations table. As you finish your second year, this table may seem completely irrelevant. But do you remember those first days of class? You knew nothing and the abbreviations table came in very useful.

19. First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 has great figure selection. If a figure is in the book, chances are you have seen it before and you will see it again. Did you ever ask yourself why? Its because these are the high-yield figures you will need to know for Step 1 and beyond. By the by, never think that repetition of things such as figures is annoying or unimportant. The whole reason the same figures are repeated in every text book is because they are important.

20. First Aid Step 1 is time-tested and student approved. When I started first year. There was one book every older student recommended to me - First Aid. As I finished school and started residency, there was one book I for sure recommended to students - First Aid. The book has been there and it will be there.

21. ****BONUS**** First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 is updated every year. If you have the latest edition, you know you are getting the most up-to-date information. Yearly updates are a great idea, and I think more books would be better if they would do it as well.

So to everyone, best of luck on the USMLE Step 1. Everyone has his or here own style and buys the book he or she thinks is the best. All I can say is that here are 20 good reasons to use First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 in studying for the boards, whether you use the printed text or the First Aid Audio-Video Lectures

A couple more points to emphasize

Often times First Aid for the USMLE Step One is referred to as "the Bible" for the USMLE Step 1. You may ask yourself, "Why is First Aid for the USMLE Step 1" so successful and such a phenomenon? The answer is that First Aid for the USMLE Step one has both the breadth and depth of knowledge that you need for the USMLE Step 1.

My honest opinion (disclaimer, this is just an opinion and not a scientifically proven fact) is that if you knew all the information in First Aid for the USMLE Step 1, you would know enough enough to pass the USMLE Step 1 Exam. That is not to say that you should read only First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 for three years in medical school and nothing else. However, it is to say that memorizing First Aid is well worth your time.

If I were broke and no more student loans were coming in for two years - and I had to buy only one book to survive the first two years of med school and the USMLE Step 1 - what would that book be? I would buy First Aid - it's that good.

Good luck again - and give First Aid for Step 1 a read (at least three times through).

Find First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Audio-Video On Demand Package Here

Find First Aid For the USMLE Step 1 Printed Textbook for Sale Here

Find Apollo's Review of First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Here

Wishing you USMLE Step 1 Success with The First Aid USMLE Step 1 Audio-Video, On Demand Package!

Last edited:
Using the First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video-On Demand Discussion Forum

1. Feel free to discuss any of the Review Programs found at ApolloAudiobooks.com or First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video discussed in this forum thread.

2. Have you used any of the review programs listed on the Apollo site? Leave your feedback! Tell us, other students, and the rest of the world what you thought.

3. RAFFLE: The USMLE Audio raffle prizes are discussed at the top of this thread. Check out these SDN forum threads to learn more about the raffle prizes: The USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package & The USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package.

4. At this SDN forum thread you can See the Full Terms and Conditions regarding Email Subscriber Pricing, 2 Free Audio Downloads per month, and other disclaimers.

5. If you would like to make suggestions for "Corrections" or "Useful Additions" to future editions of the Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews, please see these SDN threads: Gold Standard Step 1 Corrections and Additions Thread & Gold Standard Step 2 Corrections and Additions Thread.

6. Most of all, Join the Apollo Email List!

At ApolloAudiobooks.com our opt-in email subscribers get some of the best benefits on the web! These include:
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLE "Total Audio Packages"
  • NEW! 40% OFF USMLEHelp audio as a part of the "Total Audio Packages"
  • 40% OFF Gold Standard USMLE Audio Reviews
  • 2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads Per Month
  • Periodic Discount Codes for an Additional 10% to 25% OFF
  • Product Updates and Notifications
  • And More...

I like the idea of the program, and especially the inclusion of UW qbank, but have you guys considered doing some review sheets for each lecture? Just a short 10-20 question quiz. Also is this material downloadable once purchased or does it have to be streamed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the idea of the program, and especially the inclusion of UW qbank, but have you guys considered doing some review sheets for each lecture? Just a short 10-20 question quiz. Also is this material downloadable once purchased or does it have to be streamed?

This product is absolutely BRAND NEW and just went live in the last 1 month or so. Publishers of textbooks are extremely worried about piracy, hence the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Audio-Video Online program is available as streaming content only.

The Quiz is a great idea, but currently does not exist. I would instead suggest you use the:

Thanks,

Apollo Hi,

I think this is an excellent idea, and specially for those that find it easier to learn thru audio-video as well. It is also a great idea to help U limit urself in one topic, & also have the opportunity to go over it several times , over and over until it is engraved in ur head.(specially for slow readers as myself)
Congratulations! for this new product...;)

My question: Are the topics---just read, and presented in slides. (As the video demonstration)... Or are their going to be topics that are explained in further detail?

ThanK You
& thanks for this opportunity to participate in the raffle. :xf:
(If the First AIDE Audio is included as part of the raffle)

Apollo Hi,

I think this is an excellent idea, and specially for those that find it easier to learn thru audio-video as well. It is also a great idea to help U limit urself in one topic, & also have the opportunity to go over it several times , over and over until it is engraved in ur head.(specially for slow readers as myself)
Congratulations! for this new product...;)

My question: Are the topics---just read, and presented in slides. (As the video demonstration)... Or are their going to be topics that are explained in further detail?

ThanK You
& thanks for this opportunity to participate in the raffle. :xf:
(If the First AIDE Audio is included as part of the raffle)

esperanza27 - Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately, the First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 Audio-Video is NOT part of the Raffle. The Total Audio Packages that ARE part of the Raffle are Apollo's USMLE Step 1 Total Audio Package and USMLE Step 2 Total Audio Package. Please follow the links to see what each includes - basic each Total Audio Package Includes Gold Standard and USMLEHelp audio product for Step 1 or Step 2 of the Medical Boards.

You are correct about the advantages of the First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video Online USMLE review program. It can help you 1. limit the time you spend on any one subject 2. make sure you cover every topic in the book and 3. go through the material more than once.

Find the First Aid for the USMLE Audio-Video Program for Sale Here

Are the First Aid for the USMLE topics---just read, and presented in slides. (As the video demonstration)... Or are their going to be topics that are explained in further detail?

Many of the topics are presented just as the video demonstration at: http://apolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video-Sample. However, there are some points where the very experienced instructors go in a little more detail than the text. The overall idea is to take the world's most popular USMLE review book and present it in an online audio-video format. Thus - the speakers tend to stay on topic and true to the First Aid for the USMLE text.

Wishing everybody USMLE Success!

www.ApolloAudiobooks.com

Stark

Last edited:
Stark- Apollo

Thankyou so very much for your detailed response.
It is greatly appreciated.
I truly hope that your product has great sucess.
(And I am sure it will)

You answered everything--- But one last question: (sorry)
Since this item is not in the raffle... Does it have any Discount.
Or like 40 percent as some of the other offered products?

Thank You again,
;)

Hi Stark-apollo, I wrote u back asking if there is a discount on ur FA audio this week :( week ends today I would appreciate it if someone can reply. I understand if ur busy with replies. Thank u. My aplogies if i have overlooked ur reply. :)

Hi Stark-apollo, I wrote u back asking if there is a discount on ur FA audio this week :( week ends today I would appreciate it if someone can reply. I understand if ur busy with replies. Thank u. My aplogies if i have overlooked ur reply. :)

esperanza27- sorry for the delay but I did not catch your post before the forums were closed to tally up the raffle winners. The answer to your question, in short, is that there is not a discount for the First Aid for the USMLE Online Audio Video Review. This program is brand new and just released and no discounts have been announced.

The only way to find the program at present is to go to The First Aid For the USMLE Step 1 Online Audio Video Review Here and purchase it at full price.

Wising Everybody USMLE Success!

http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com

ApolloUSMLE

This Forum is Closed after March 18, 2011. Please use these helpful links after this date to find:

USMLE AUDIO MP3 Reviews Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=75

FIRST AID for the USMLE Audio-Video Online Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video

USMLE iPhone Apps, MP3s, and Online Reviews Here ----- http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=242

Best Books for USMLE Review Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobook.com/page.php?id=33

ONLINE USMLE Reviews Here ----- http://www.appolloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=First-Aid-USMLE-Audio-Video-Sample

LIVE USMLE Review Courses Here ----- http://www.appoloaudiobooks.com/tasdn.php?p=Live-USMLE-Step-1-Board-Review

FREE PODCASTS for USMLE and Med Students Here ----- http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210#Free-USMLE-Audio-Podcasts

FREE About Gold Standard and USMLEHelp Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/blog/gold-standard-usmle-step-1-samples

FREE Time Management, Study Techniques, & Using Audio Podcast Here ----- http://medical-mastermind-community.com/podcast/top-5-time-management-tips

2 FREE USMLE Audio Downloads per Month Here -----http://www.apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=210

40% OFF Gold Standard and Total Audio Packages Here -----http://apolloaudiobooks.com/page.php?id=27

Last edited: