First Aid for USMLE step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genswim24

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I am a first year right now. If I buy a First Aid book to compliment my reading for classes, will I have to buy a new one next year when I actually take step 1? Do they actually change a lot on a year by year basis, or will the 2009 edition be good enough?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

buy one as a guide and then see when the newest edition comes out. Its like 20-30 bucks. That is brewing your own coffee for a few days or not going out on a date or to the bars for a night.

I recommend buying the 2009 one now and making notes in it as you go. It will be extremely helpful when studying for shelf exams and great review for studying for step. The editions don't change all that much, the only major difference I noticed from the 2009 vs the previous edition is a change in format (changed from subject based layout to a systems based layout).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I will go ahead and buy it tonight then. It seems like a pretty helpful book.

I don't use it to study as much as a reference guide as to what I should focus on a little more. It is also nice to see that you are studying stuff that actually seems to be on the boards and it isn't just some completely random facts they throw at you....well, they still are but more fulfilling random facts.

I use it and other BRS stuff and use lecture notes. I never read assigned readings anymore b/c I feel like I read 100 pages and then the lecture notes are on different things and the test questions don't come from the book. :)

What I would recommend is buying an old one off a third year who will probably charge you five or ten dollars. This way you can get a 2008 or 209 for an inexpensive price to use during coursework. Then when the new one comes out you don't have to hesitate to purchase it.