First aid hepatobiliary and UWorld

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Handinhand

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing Hep/Bili questions on UWorld and not doing nearly as well as I do compared to other sections (20% worse), and this is right after studying the material. All of the questions I'm getting wrong are not mentioned in first aid nor pathoma, so I'm just wondering if UWorld's questions are extremely difficult for this section, or if First aid and pathoma are lacking a lot of information for these?

Also, for those more in the know than I, how important is Virology on boards? I find that these questions are incredibly detailed almost every time, often not covered in first aid and DIT, and have very low % correct on UWorld.

Members don't see this ad.

You do know not everything your can possibly be tested is in pathoma/First aid right?

I'd read/understanding all the stuff in the 2 (yes 2!) chapters in Rapid review pathology.

I read that book, and thus far have never been surprised by any question I've seen, in any q bank.

Hepatobiliary is covered well in RR.

I do know that -- I've just been surprised how much was not covered in those two resources for this topic. Hepatobiliary is my last system of UWorld and then I've made a full pass, and for no other system/subject have I felt as ill prepared to answer questions after using Pathoma + First aid as I have for this. I was just curious is others have felt this way and how they supplement.

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't used RR for anything but I might have to give it a look over for this stuff.

I think that the questions for this system are just tricky. Doing the UWorld questions and comparing lab values, presentations, and the minuscule details that separate each of the pathologies will surely help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how to reply to your question. On the one hand, I've felt that the Hepatobiliary + GI Q's in UWorld are harder than most organ systems (probably more than Neuro for me), but my %correct hasn't changed at all. Also, the %correct nationally of my Hepatobiliary + GI blocks are right around average at 57-63%. And I'm in the exact same situation as you, doing these Q's very last in the home stretch of UWorld and having only prepared with FA + Pathoma.

The only thing I can think of to support your point is that it seems like the standard deviation is much smaller with these questions by qualitatively looking at the % correct of each individual question. That is, they're all 50-60%, with just as many 30-40%'s as there are 70-80%'s. Other topics would have mostly 60-80%'s, with a couple 20-40%'s thrown in to bring down the average.