First Aid Q & A, First Aid Cases

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USArmyDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am taking both the USMLE and COMLEX. I decided on the USMLE first then COMLEX so I can have some in between time to get the OMM down. Anyway, I was wondering what you guys thought about the following:

First Aid Q & A: I don't know what it is, but I took a quick look at the questions and it wasn't what I expected from the USMLE. I felt like it was straight forward as long as you know your stuff. Granted, I did find that it was true that its not just a diagnosis they are looking for. They are 2-3 step problems. Anyone use it and then take the exam? I know they said the questions are from the USMLERx but I want to make sure I am not sitting there doing easy questions and then get slammed on the USMLE.

First Aid Cases: I figured this would be a good book for the last two weeks of studying. Since I'll probably be done with the First Aid book, I would use this to solidify what we need to know. Supposively, it correlates well with the actual First Aid.

Thanks guys and good luck to those studying.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a FA Q&A book from 06 and thumbed through it when I saw your question (haven't actually done any questions yet). My sample size was pretty small, but the questions I glanced at looked easier than much of the Kaplan Qbank. I did see some 2 and 3 step questions, but each step was "reasonable" whereas Kaplan seems to love having the first step be a clinical diagnosis and then the next three being extremely contrived and detail oriented.

e.g., a patient presentation paragraph that seems most likely to be Parkinson's, but then then actual question (last sentence) is something like "of the inherited disorders below, which enzyme deficiency has an effect on glucose synthesis most like the most common side effect of the pharmacological agent often used to treat the most likely diagnosis for this patient."

I certainly don't know yet if the USMLE is more similar to Kaplan or FA questions. Popular opinion is that UWorld might be the most representative of the large paid question banks, and the paid NMBE practice exams will probably give you the best idea of what the questions will look like.

I have a FA Q&A book from 06 and thumbed through it when I saw your question (haven't actually done any questions yet). My sample size was pretty small, but the questions I glanced at looked easier than much of the Kaplan Qbank. I did see some 2 and 3 step questions, but each step was "reasonable" whereas Kaplan seems to love having the first step be a clinical diagnosis and then the next three being extremely contrived and detail oriented.

e.g., a patient presentation paragraph that seems most likely to be Parkinson's, but then then actual question (last sentence) is something like "of the inherited disorders below, which enzyme deficiency has an effect on glucose synthesis most like the most common side effect of the pharmacological agent often used to treat the most likely diagnosis for this patient."

I certainly don't know yet if the USMLE is more similar to Kaplan or FA questions. Popular opinion is that UWorld might be the most representative of the large paid question banks, and the paid NMBE practice exams will probably give you the best idea of what the questions will look like.

This is why I ask. However, I was told by kids that Kaplan's QBank is more detailed oriented than the actual exam. Again, I don't know since I havn't taken it. I figured the worst thing is that I use the questions as a learning tool and rely of USMLE World as my actual predictor.

You referred to 2 or 3 step questions. I did see quite a few in the Q & A book, but it just seemed much more straight forward than I expected.

dude...you wanna rock the usmle?....use UWorld

FA Q&A isn't horrible...but not in the same class as UW....and when you're ready to spend the majority of your time doing questions you should already know everything in FA

Members don't see this ad :)
dude...you wanna rock the usmle?....use UWorld

FA Q&A isn't horrible...but not in the same class as UW....and when you're ready to spend the majority of your time doing questions you should already know everything in FA

Yea Taus, I hear ya. I am definitely going to do USMLE World also but I figured as I progress through first aid I would do the Q & A. As I near the end of my studies and USMLE date, I would do UWorld and First Aid Cases. With that being said, I feel I may be entering the point where I have to many question sources. I don't know I just want to do well and I am willing to work incessantly to perform well even if that means doing hours and hours of questions.

I hope all is going well on rotations man.

Yea Taus, I hear ya. I am definitely going to do USMLE World also but I figured as I progress through first aid I would do the Q & A. As I near the end of my studies and USMLE date, I would do UWorld and First Aid Cases. With that being said, I feel I may be entering the point where I have to many question sources. I don't know I just want to do well and I am willing to work incessantly to perform well even if that means doing hours and hours of questions.

I hope all is going well on rotations man.
Hey, rotations have been pretty good...some better then others

I know you're a very hard worker and you're right that you can easily reach a point where you truly have too many sources and too little time. That gets a lot of people in trouble. You may be surprised at how long it takes you to properly utilize a question source...ie doing the questions and then spending a few minutes a piece to properly understand the explanations and take notes. I started off planning on using UWorld, Qbank, Rx, Lange, Qbook, Robbins Qbook, Webpath...and maybe a few others that I'm forgetting. Picking a few solid ones (on top of the mountain of books that need to be studied) is a much more efficient use of your time IMO. I do like the approach that you mentioned of using paper question books by system/subject initially and then progressing into random & timed blocks of 50 as you get closer to your test date. Just remember that the "closer to your test date" may need to be a month or longer to properly utilize the electronic qbanks.

Good luck man

Hey, rotations have been pretty good...some better then others

I know you're a very hard worker and you're right that you can easily reach a point where you truly have too many sources and too little time. That gets a lot of people in trouble. You may be surprised at how long it takes you to properly utilize a question source...ie doing the questions and then spending a few minutes a piece to properly understand the explanations and take notes. I started off planning on using UWorld, Qbank, Rx, Lange, Qbook, Robbins Qbook, Webpath...and maybe a few others that I'm forgetting. Picking a few solid ones (on top of the mountain of books that need to be studied) is a much more efficient use of your time IMO. I do like the approach that you mentioned of using paper question books by system/subject initially and then progressing into random & timed blocks of 50 as you get closer to your test date. Just remember that the "closer to your test date" may need to be a month or longer to properly utilize the electronic qbanks.

Good luck man

Thanks dude.....I appreciate the help. I am glad to see things are going well for you. Things are going great for me to man...I am sure you know what I am referring to.

Good luck bud and I will definitely possibly rearrange my sources as I am not a professional like yourself at crushing tests....haha....later buddy