First Author Manuscript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BillrothI

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I am currently working on a manuscript that will be submitted for publication next month.

Several secondaries have prompts asking about updates. Obviously, I want to include this activity, but I am not quite sure how I should describe the current status of the project. I am working with a physician and will be the first author. Since the manuscript hasn't been submitted for publication yet, how would I go about describing the project without coming across as presumptuous?

Thanks for any advice.

-Bill

Members don't see this ad.

This is common and I had a similar situation.

I used something like "the project culminated with a manuscript, which is in the process of submission" or something similar and included it in my application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, DrEnder and Catalystik. Very helpful.

-Bill

You write "MS in preparation", which doesn't count for much.

Hey Everybody,

I am currently working on a manuscript that will be submitted for publication next month.

Several secondaries have prompts asking about updates. Obviously, I want to include this activity, but I am not quite sure how I should describe the current status of the project. I am working with a physician and will be the first author. Since the manuscript hasn't been submitted for publication yet, how would I go about describing the project without coming across as presumptuous?

Thanks for any advice.

-Bill

You write "MS in preparation", which doesn't count for much.

Thanks, Goro.

In that case, would it be advisable to wait until the manuscript is submitted to complete my secondary applications? It would mean being a little late at most schools, but no later than mid-August or so.

-Bill

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for any advice.

-Bill

Congratulations! Unfortunately, you still have a long road ahead of you. It may take as long as 2-3 months to hear back from reviewers, and then your reviews may be unfavorable or require a lot of additional work to address completely. After you address reviewer concerns (in most fields, it is very rare to get your manuscript accepted with no revisions), you have to wait another month or two for the reviewers to sign off, and another 1-4 months after that for the journal to process your submission into a proof (and then you have to check over the proof meticulously and address editor comments).

What I am saying is that a manuscript that is not yet accepted pending minor revisions, is a long way off from publication...you will most likely be using this publication in your update letters in the Spring.

Anyone can write "Submitted to the Journal of X" The best update is "in press", which means manuscript accepted.

Thanks, Goro.

In that case, would it be advisable to wait until the manuscript is submitted to complete my secondary applications? It would mean being a little late at most schools, but no later than mid-August or so.

-Bill

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everybody,

I just learned that my manuscript was accepted and am anxious to write a quick update letter to the handful of schools that accept them.

Other than the name of the paper and the journal, what should I include in the update? Should I describe the research at all? Attach a copy of the manuscript? Or just write a quick paragraph noting that the paper was accepted?

Thanks!

-Bill

Congrats. You should have already described the research and your role in the Primary Application. With the article title, mention of first authorship, and the journal, interested parties will (eventually) be able to find the publication in the absence of a PMID#. I would not send a copy of the manuscript.

Include the entire reference as it would appear in an article (author name/s, title, journal, year, pages, volume, doi) You probably do not need a blurb about the research but it wouldn't hurt to explain your role.