First author publication in high impact journal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Umyo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

What impact does having a first author publication in a relatively 'higher tier' journal have? (IF ~9-10)

I have already submitted my applications and did not list my publication under the research section because it wasn't ready at the time. Should I bring this up in my interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all.

What impact does having a first author publication in a high tier journal have? (IF ~9-10)

I have already submitted my applications and did not list my publication under the research section because it wasn't ready at the time. Should I bring this up in my interviews?

IF 9-10 is chump change. Only worth tooting your horn if you're in NEJM, Science, Nature, etc ... at which point you're looking at 20+ on IF. Otherwise, a pub is a pub is a pub is a pub. This is medical school, not Ph.D. in molecular cell biology at Harvard U.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're applying MSTP, you should definitely update them. Look at the update letter policy for the schools you applied to - some will accept updates prior to interview invites whereas others will only accept updates from interviewed applicants. If you're applying MD only, any first-author publication looks good. Chances are, your reviewer isn't going to know the relative impact factors of journals in your chosen field because journals in booming fields like nanotechnology nowadays get a lot more citations than journals in respectable fields with less growth.

Reactions: 1 user
IF 9-10 is chump change. Only worth tooting your horn if you're in NEJM, Science, Nature, etc ... at which point you're looking at 20+ on IF. Otherwise, a pub is a pub is a pub is a pub. This is medical school, not Ph.D. in molecular cell biology at Harvard U.

Are you insinuating that a first author pub is nbd? Do you know the percentage of MD applicants that have any pub at all? Much less a first author pub?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, OP!

eb4.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I had a first author pub when I applied and every one of the interviews had questions about it. Adcoms seemed intrigued about it to a certain extent and I'm pretty sure it helped out a lot with my interview cycle. But that's just me.

Jesie had the right idea. Send an update letter so that it goes in your application folder and is something they can see when they review your app. Bringing it up just in interviews doesn't actually guarantee that the adcom becomes aware of it.

First author is a decent journal is definitely respectable and definitely worth letting med schools know about.

Pubs are always worth an update! But first make sure your target schools accept them.

Hi all. What impact does having a first author publication in a relatively 'higher tier' journal have? (IF ~9-10) I have already submitted my applications and did not list my publication under the research section because it wasn't ready at the time. Should I bring this up in my interviews?

Thank you all for the helpful responses. :)

Are you insinuating that a first author pub is nbd? Do you know the percentage of MD applicants that have any pub at all? Much less a first author pub?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The point I was making was whether the impact factor of the journal matters. It's rather obvious that publications to your name are a win. You should really check your reading comprehension or go back and practice some more CARS.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user