First Choice DO School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poormansDO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
thought i'd start a thread where people can list their first choice of DO schools.

mine is PCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

ppormansdoormd said:
thought i'd start a thread where people can list their first choice of DO schools.

mine is PCOM.

Mine is also PCOM. It is awesome there. :D

PossiblePreMed said:
Mine is also PCOM. It is awesome there. :D

My first choice is KCUMB

Members don't see this ad :)
We should list our #1 choice and why it's #1.

Y_Marker said:
We should list our #1 choice and why it's #1.

PCOM because of location (want to be on east coast), great school, is not primary care oriented as much as other schools in case i want to do a specialty (37% of graduates go into a primary care residency), more established being one of the older schools.

DMU because I'm going there. :laugh: ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
MSUCOM, because they are the best at primary care, and thats what I want to do. Also, because it is in Michigan, and I love this state, and want to stay here.

KCOM or UNECOM (a tie), both because of location.

WVSOM--PBL and the friendliest place on earth :D

If I can only list one, then CCOM. But there are a number of schools that are tied for #1b.

UMDNJ-SOM (exp there, facilities, specialty match success, board success (COMPLEX and USMLE) location) and PCOM ( same thing but just not as close as I like, though I did see Allen Iverson there in the gym)

NYCOM because of location :cool:

Gforce007 said:
UMDNJ-SOM (exp there, facilities, specialty match success, board success (COMPLEX and USMLE) location) and PCOM ( same thing but just not as close as I like, though I did see Allen Iverson there in the gym)

COMLEX (not COMPLEX)

UMDNJ-SOM: great program, close to home :)

KCUMB: Location and I know a lot of good Docs that went there

Does anyone get the impression that location is a key criteria for a large majority of the applicants? Scroll up and look at the comments why people picked a particular place.

In business they say "it's all about location, location, location." that was my #1 criteria in a list of about 5 important things to look for when choosing the best medical school for me.

Y_Marker said:
Does anyone get the impression that location is a key criteria for a large majority of the applicants? Scroll up and look at the comments why people picked a particular place.

If I went off of location, I'd be living in Phoenix right now.

I went to the best school I was accepted to.

CCOM....pretty nice match list, awesome, awesome campus, close to chicago, teachers seem really nice ( the ones that ive met anyways ), students are pretty happy. has a rep for being challenging school but is supposed to be a good preperation for the boards..

Philadelphia and Michigan State.

And WVSOM too, but my dear WVSOM is definantly on the costly side :oops:

UMDNJ has a really good program too.

Unecom
Reputation/location/know Several Grads/
Ties To Local Residencies

TCOM....one word: TEXAS!!!!

Nycom because of location.

OSUdoc08 said:

I second that sentiment. I did not choose KCOM for location, but rather reputation, match list, "med school" feel ;)

OUCOM - great docs, great people!

(PCOM also rocks, beautiful campus, technology and locations!)

strawberryfield said:
I second that sentiment. I did not choose KCOM for location, but rather reputation, match list, "med school" feel ;)

Although I chose not to go to AZCOM for reasons other than location, the sole reason I chose not to go to KCOM was location.

I liked PCOM because of their whole atmosphere. I was accepted into their graduate program in Psych before I had "THE calling" and when I withdrew and explained my situation, they stated that they would welcome my DO app in the future. In the open house and interview sessions I attended, they extended such a warm welcome, and promoted such a community-oriented atmosphere. You can't find that everywhere. They are the reason I started looking into being a DO in the first place (as opposed to an MD). I think it is wonderful there, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in being a DO. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Two thumbs up. I just wish they had an early decision program so I could just apply to them... :oops:

VCOM!!

Through our pre-med society organization they came to talk to interested students and it seems like a wonderful school. Who else is applying here??

jbone said:
DMU because I'm going there. :laugh: ;)

DMU because jbone is going there :love: :love: ...ohh wait..that came out wrong...

OSUdoc08 said:

Excellent point. If I had gone with location, I would have gone to PCOM (my family and friends all live here).

unecom!!! :) hope i get in :)

so far its just location.. seeing as how i have yet to apply... maybe once i do secondaries and maybe get interviews, i can think about which school is the "best fit" for me...

The folks who posted up about picking for reasons other than location are guys, yes?

Wonder if there is a correlation?

DMU! It is close to my family, and has a great reputation in the DO world.

CCOM - Great match list, nice area, and no moving to a different city 3rd anf 4th years