First Choice School? And Why

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdgenDDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen one of these on these forums. I'm interested to see what other people from around the country think about dental schools.

My first choice is Stony Brook... close to home, small class size, I like the area, good pediatric clinic, in state tuition helps too:claps:... too bad its sooo difficult to get in

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
OSU. Why? In-state tuition, 2 hours from home, good reputation, great faculty. Bonus perk: Buckeye Football baby!

Reactions: 1 user
UWSoD! I love Seattle and everything about the Pacific Northwest. The campus is beautiful and its a great dental school. Doing my undergrad here and being a WA resident will be a benefit for me. I am hopeful!

Members don't see this ad :)
@alumdent I cant believe you guys got Jimmy Graham..im a Giants fan but I need to go visit that stadium some time

UT-Houston!
I've visited with my organization several times for tours and alone for workshops and I loved it.
Tuition is very good. Campus is 30 minutes from home. Both GP dentists and an oral surgeon I've shadowed are alum there. Friendly people.

Haven't seen one of these on these forums. I'm interested to see what other people from around the country think of about dental schools.

My first choice is Stony Brook... close to home, small class size, I like the area, good pediatric clinic, in state tuition helps too:claps:... too bad its sooo difficult to get in
Same here

Dream School = UoP.

3 year program
Cali.
Awesome clinical experience
Did I mention 3 year program?

The best school is the one you get into, right? Haha in that case... Stony brook!!

I'll be honest. I don't know. All the schools on my list I really want to go for one reason or another.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be honest. I don't know. All the schools on my list I really want to go for one reason or another.

Which would you pick if all of them gave you full rides, and you had to decide within five minutes?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go to UConn! It's close to home, cheap in state tuition, and they have a very good dental program.

Cons: I might have to live at home... or at the least stay in CT which is blehhh.

If money were not a factor, either MODSOH or New England, solely based on location with an edge to NE. Realistically, either Iowa or MN because I could get in-state for either of those schools.

UNC--my alma mater and my home. I shall never forsake her if she doesn't forsake me.

Reactions: 2 users
VCU. It is in-state and only an hour and a half away from home. My brother just graduated from there and I have a bunch of friends there already so I have some idea of how the program is run/what to expect. At the same time, it would be nice to experience something new so any of the other schools I applied to lol.

UT-Houston!
I've visited with my organization several times for tours and alone for workshops and I loved it.
Tuition is very good. Campus is 30 minutes from home. Both GP dentists and an oral surgeon I've shadowed are alum there. Friendly people.

Same here!!! New building, FAMILY atmosphere, massive support,etc. I love it. Tbh, any TX school would be good due to low tuition and clinical exposure. I would be beyond blessed if given the opportunity to choose between the 3 schools.

If tuition was not an issue.... UoP.

Since tuition is an issue... any Texas school. However, since I'm not a Texan, I have a better chance winning the lotto....

Reactions: 2 users
Helpful tip, go to your interview with an open mind and take some pictures during the tour, especially the waiting area, simlab, and clinic, so you can review the schools more objectively after your acceptances. Unless you got a good memory, what you saw during your tour will become hazy after visiting multiple schools and months have passed. Also, my desired school choices changed a lot after actually visiting them because school websites show only what they want you to see.

Reactions: 4 users
Helpful tip, go to your interview with an open mind and take some pictures during the tour, especially the waiting area, simlab, and clinic, so you can review the schools more objectively after your acceptances. Unless you got a good memory, what you saw during your tour will become hazy after visiting multiple schools and months have passed. Also, my desired school choices changed a lot after actually visiting them because school websites show only what they want you to see.
Hey, you should add to this thread! I wish more people were adding to it cuz school websites only show so much... It would be cool to read interviewers opinions on schools they interviewed at...
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/advice-for-new-applicants.1132380/#post-16416157

MWU-AZ they have a great clinical program where you can get lots of practice. They have great facilities and new equipment. The student body there seem awesome, everyone gets along great. No specialty programs which means you get more practice in those areas.
It's close to home for me, that will be nice for my wife and hopefully future children.
Plus, you take your boards after your first year rather than two.

Haven't seen one of these on these forums. I'm interested to see what other people from around the country think of about dental schools.

If you make it to Stony Brook, put in a good word for me ;)

If money were not a factor, either MODSOH or New England, solely based on location with an edge to NE. Realistically, either Iowa or MN because I could get in-state for either of those schools.

Why not uconn?

Not sure if its on the website but they have a separate tuition rate just for NE people.

I don't live in NE though. I like NE just because it's in Maine. I'm not applying until next year so we will see how things shake out when I take my DAT and what my app look like then. Mainly, I'd prefer to be in a smaller town/suburb for dental school but there are not a lot of those to choose from either. If I can get into MN or IA, I have free lodging so saving $$$$.