First Choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premeddick

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When people ask you what your first choice is, what do you typically say? I mean clearly my first choice would be Harvard or another "top tier school" but realistically I would be pumped to get into my state school.

Members don't see this ad.

I always gave my realistic top choice, the school that I would most like to go to that I have a reasonable chance of getting in...not my shot-in-he!! choice.

Call me supersticious (sp) but I never said anything just in case I was jinxing it. My favorite response was "Whoever accepts me!"

Members don't see this ad :)
I always begin my reply naming about 6-8 schools, and then I end up saying, "I don't know."

When people ask you what your first choice is, what do you typically say? I mean clearly my first choice would be Harvard or another "top tier school" but realistically I would be pumped to get into my state school.
I think your first choice is by definition the medical school you most want to go to amongst the schools you applied to.

If you applied to Harvard and it's your dream school, it's your top choice. If you didn't bother applying, it's not a choice at all.

If you're in the beginning of the process, pick a school you think you like. I picked Columbia, just to have an easy answer. Once you're more involved in the process, and start interviewing, you can pick a school that you have better chances at (i.e. one that you interviewed at).

You just need an answer, people don't really care, they just ask because it's the thing to do. It's not worth your time explaining that you will only get into a few of the 50 schools you applied to.

i take a moment to explain that the admissions process is so tough you can't bet on any one school. when they reply that given that what school would i most like to go to, i tell them my absolute top choice.

Ivy league is a good ambition if you want to do a competative specialty or have extra money lying around.

My first choice was the best fit for me based on the quality of my application.

My response is always whichever school I get into!

I just prefer to say Puerto Rico and leave it at that.

i always said UChicago b/c my stats were good enough to gain acceptance and i always loved the school. now, at the same time i applied to harvard and baylor and washu and other schools ranked higher but i always said my first choice based on realistic chances and personal preference and not based on ranking. and it turns out i didn't jinx myself.