First day as a pharm cashier at Rite Aid and it...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmlyDoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
....went okay. I had a little situation anxiety since I was thrust into a new environment. I operated the cash register, manned the drive-thru, and filled prescription bottles.

Most of the costumers were friendly, patient, and understanding, (except for one elderly gentlemen who seemed impatient and looked like he wanted to strangle me) and one of the techs new many of the costumers by a first name basis. The front of the store was a different story, the people who worked at the front of the store (non-pharmacy part) were rude.

Overall it's still too soon to form an opinion. The pharmacists and other techs kept on asking me if I was an intern, since I'm going to pharm school in the fall. They said I would get paid more and it seems like they want me to intern there (something to do with freeing up hours).

I also interviewed at a hospital inpatient pharmacy 2 weeks ago, and I was told that the interview was favorable, but there hr department is a month behind, so I won't be notified of a decision for a few more weeks. With that being said, I would rather work in the inpatient pharmacy at the hospital since I'd be dealing solely with medications and (they said) I'd be working up to 40 hours a week. If I do get offered a position at the hospital then I'd be inclined to accept, but then I'd be backstabbing Rite Aid.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
you ain't backstabbing anybody. do what makes you happy. rite aid or any corporate could give two ****s about you down the line

lol. Backstabbing rite aid .. I might recommend otherwise if you were working for one of the NICE retail chains.. but I would be inclined to recommend dumping rite aid at the first opportunity you get.. they probably won't even exist at some point soon.. and what is the likelyhood that whoever buys them will put you on a blacklist? very slim.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol. Backstabbing rite aid .. I might recommend otherwise if you were working for one of the NICE retail chains.. but I would be inclined to recommend dumping rite aid at the first opportunity you get.. they probably won't even exist at some point soon.. and what is the likelyhood that whoever buys them will put you on a blacklist? very slim.

Rumors of Rite Aid vanishing into dust, getting bought out very soon, existed since 1999. You get to work 40 hours a week at an impatient pharmacy? That sounds awful actually when you have tests coming around. If you think you want to do hospital, work at the hospital. If you think retail is in your future and Riteaid is a possibility, your raises/vacation benefits starts now.

Last edited:
. If you think retail is in your future and Riteaid is a possibility, your raises/vacation benefits starts now.

ummm i believe with rite aid, once you are promoted to the pharmacist status, your vaca starts at 0 with no vacation accrued your 1st year lol so that should be a non-factor

It may vary by district but my vacation hours rolled over from my intern to pharmacist promotion

ummm i believe with rite aid, once you are promoted to the pharmacist status, your vaca starts at 0 with no vacation accrued your 1st year lol so that should be a non-factor
lol, didn't know that. Well that sucks.

Well, coincidentally I received an email from the lead pharm tech at the hospital yesterday evening. She said the hr department is currently in a hiring freeze, but if I was still interested in a job there then I would have to attend a final interview with someone from hr.

I also interviewed at a hospital impatient pharmacy 2 weeks ago, and I was told that the interview was favorable, but there hr department is a month behind, so I won't be notified of a decision for a few more weeks. With that being said, I would rather work in the impatient pharmacy at the hospital since I'd be dealing solely with medications and (they said) I'd be working up to 40 hours a week.
What makes you think they're so impatient? ;)
Penguin Fan said:
If I do get offered a position at the hospital then I'd be inclined to accept, but then I'd be backstabbing Rite Aid.
Man, you really are an eagle scout!

Reactions: 1 user
What makes you think they're so impatient? ;)

Man, you really are an eagle scout!

Whoops...inpatient. And yessir I'm an Eagle Scout...and good pharmacists need to be patient when dealing with impatient patients.

Reactions: 1 user
Just simply click ignore and you'll never have to deal with those kinds of posts/users ever again. I did. It's not worth it to even address the trolls, because all they'll do is troll.

Well, I guess I'm using this thread as a journal. Today was my third day, and I worked 5 hours. (I worked monday and wednesday for only 4 hours, but I have another job I work those days in the mornings from 5-9am). So today I got to sleep in, go to the gym, then go to work, and I must say things were a lot more chaotic. I can't see myself being a pill counter for 5-10 years, so my plan is to get as much experience as possible and good grades so I can get into a residency.

Something I noticed was that the pharmacist doesn't have it all that bad compared to the techs as far as the amount of customer contact is concerned. The techs are the ones operating the cash register, and manning the drive thru window.

Whereas hospital pharmacy offers clinical pharmacy (so pharmacy isn't treated like a candy store/fast food restaurant), and many other options with no patient/customer contact. I can go into billing, informatics, administration, emr maintenance.