First Interventional Radiology Elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jweezy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have my first interventional radiology elective coming up, and had a few questions:

1) How can one prepare for this? Tips on books and other resources would be great.
2) What is the role of the medical student during the elective? Should I be looking to perform very basic techniques?
3) How do I stand out and shine? I've done a research project with the attending, but I want a stellar letter the encompasses my clinical aptitude as well.

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Very very different. It totally depends on the structure of IR in your program. In clinical ones, medical students can help a lot. In non-clinical models, you will most likely be a passive bystander.
2. I doubt they let you do procedures, though it depends.
3. Unless you have well defined responsibilities that happens mostly in clinical programs, it is very difficult to shine.

I agree that no two IR electives will be the same -- very dependent on the IR staff, fellows and residents.

1.) To prepare, I would suggest getting a copy of "Handbook of Interventional Radiologic Procedures" by Kandarpa. This gives a good breakdown of the various procedures including a brief description of the indications/contraindications and the steps involved. This will help you to understand the procedures being performed.

Additionally, I would recommend reviewing your anatomy, especially vascular anatomy. This can be done by referring back to your Netter's from 1st year. These are definitely fair game questions for a medical student on IR.

2.) The role of the medical student varies. On our service, we mostly have medical students observe procedures and do work ups of patients and rounds with our team. By the end of the one month rotation, we may allow some students who have shown particular interest and clearly have been working hard to assist in some basic procedures.

3.) To shine in IR is similar to trying to shine on a surgical rotation -- you have to be aggressive in patient work up/follow up and demonstrate that you have been reading. Since you have already done a research project with the IR attending, he will already know you but you have to work hard on your IR clinical rotation to impress him and the other staff/trainees and demonstrate your clinical acumen.

I hope this helps.