First interview next week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miss chievous

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received an e-mail from a school for an interview next week, and wanted to see what you guys thought I should do. I've always been bad at interviewing, but if I delay this interview, it will get moved from August 1 to September 5. What do you guys think?

I still blame the school. One weeks notice is not enough for some people :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You take what you can get when you can get it. Especially with a semi-rolling process.

I agree. But having the option to postpone is also there, so it's not like I'm absolutely stuck with this date. Hence why they gave me the option to push it back.

It just looks bad to change your date without a legit excuse. They're already expecting you next week so it's an inconvenience for them if you change your plans on them.

Any reason behind that other than "early is better"?

Same reason behind applying early. With rolling admissions they are going to get more selective as time goes on and slots fill up.

It just looks bad to change your date without a legit excuse. They're already expecting you next week so it's an inconvenience for them if you change your plans on them.

Eh I'm not so sure about that. Adcoms know interview season is busy. At least at the schools where I interviewed you were given options for your interview date for such a reason. There weren't any schools that said "here's your day, take it or leave it."

Seriously. Just pony up and go interview. I interviewed for Derm residency. Many programs interviewed on one day only. If you couldn't make it for any reason (including weather) then TS. There are always more begging for the spot.

Get used to it. You have many interviews ahead of you in your career. The first one sucks but you have to do it sooner or later. You will not be a miraculously better interviewer in a month. Any coaching, books, toastmasters you should have been thinking about long ago.

I just received an e-mail from a school for an interview next week, and wanted to see what you guys thought I should do. I've always been bad at interviewing, but if I delay this interview, it will get moved from August 1 to September 5. What do you guys think?

I still blame the school. One weeks notice is not enough for some people :laugh:

not sure what you were expecting when you sent in your app

Last edited:

They're actually pretty lenient. The interview RSVP page says I can pick a later date if I want. Doesn't seem like a big deal, really.

Don't change the date. As others have said, it doesn't look good to change your date without having a good reason (even "I have an exam that day" apparently isn't viewed as a "good reason" by many schools). Not to mention that with an interview this early you are definitely among the first group of interviewees which is an enviable position. Getting started now will also give you practice for later interviews that may you care more about. If you don't care about any of that, then consider that you'll likely have more interviews coming down the pipe and the last thing you want is to have put yourself in a position where you have multiple interviews in a single busy week when you could have had something more manageable. Finally, if you interview well and get an acceptance soon, that's going to be a massive stress reliever for the rest of the cycle.

BTW, what school is this? I wasn't aware any MD programs were doing interviews yet, although now that I think about it I guess I'm actually thinking of MSTP. Still, August 1st seems super early.

Don't change the date. As others have said, it doesn't look good to change your date without having a good reason (even "I have an exam that day" apparently isn't viewed as a "good reason" by many schools). Not to mention that with an interview this early you are definitely among the first group of interviewees which is an enviable position. Getting started now will also give you practice for later interviews that may you care more about. If you don't care about any of that, then consider that you'll likely have more interviews coming down the pipe and the last thing you want is to have put yourself in a position where you have multiple interviews in a single busy week when you could have had something more manageable. Finally, if you interview well and get an acceptance soon, that's going to be a massive stress reliever for the rest of the cycle.

BTW, what school is this? I wasn't aware any MD programs were doing interviews yet, although now that I think about it I guess I'm actually thinking of MSTP. Still, August 1st seems super early.

A&M. And yeah, I agree, it's super early.

All right. You guys win. Next week it is. Thanks everyone :) :thumbup:

A&M. And yeah, I agree, it's super early.

All right. You guys win. Next week it is. Thanks everyone :) :thumbup:

You'll be fine. By and large you're going to talk about a subject that you are the world's foremost expert in- yourself. Enjoy it!

Texas schools start interviews earlier because they generally only interview from August until first week of January. Match for Texas med schools is Feb 1.

Texas schools start interviews earlier because they generally only interview from August until first week of January. Match for Texas med schools is Feb 1.

Thank you. I was wondering this as well. Certainly makes me want to finish editing my secondaries.