First Organic 1 Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmbgg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So yeah, I definitely just made a 49 on my first Organic test.

The class size is about 120 students. I went to a community college for 3 years (where I had around a 3.4 GPA, math/science is a little higher) and this is my first semester at a university, The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).

Anyway, the highest score of course was a 100. The average was around a 65.

I emailed the instructor to see if there were any test forgiveness policies or anything, but there weren't any listed on the syllabus so I am assuming there aren't any.

There is a total possible of 600 points, so there goes 52 out the window leaving me with a possible of around 549/600 or a 91%.

I assume that I should just bust my butt, and go back to studying the stuff I missed/didn't understand. And then hit the last 3 tests hard. But I still feel horrible, and hardly feel like a B- is possible at this point.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

No doubt you're behind the 8-ball, but if your GPA is OK and you're doing well in your other classes, even a B- will NOT put you out of the running for pharm. school in any way, shape, or form.

I'd stick it out but keep your eyes on the prize.

I should get paid for how often I recommend these, but I thought O-Chem for Dummies and Organic Chemistry as a Second Language were lifesavers. I bought both for under $10, and they were my go-to books when I didn't understand something in lecture.

P4Sci is right, you're working your way up from here, but keep working. There's always a possibility he might give extra credit, etc. If he sees a student who scored low on the first exam, and then did extremely well on future exams, he'll have reason to help you out.

If he doesn't (and very well may not), you still have a strong GPA, and you won't forget O-Chem when it comes to interview time and discussing one of your harder experiences as an undergrad. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll second Pharm B's endorsement of Organic Chemistry as a Second Language. It has really helped me understand the processes involved and the author's idea of doing as little memorization as possible has made me think about what was really going on. I have also had a couple Chem professors tell me that they wish they could just teach from that book. Worth every penny!

Welcome to O Chem. Really, its like a bad hooker. Overwhelming, leaves you with scratches on your back, a burning sensation when you urinate and a lack of money.

You have a very long year ahead of you yet, one test isn't going to make or break you. Figure out today what you need to work on. Don't wait until tomorrow or this weekend to do so. It is very, very easy to get behind and become overwhelmed. If that happens, you'll be chasing your tail until May.

That being said, the books mentioned are good. The big thing in O Chem is being able to see how the electrons move and effect each other. If you can visualize in you're head, that's even better.

Plus, its incredibly rewarding when you first nail a lengthy synthesis problem. That was one of the happiest test taking moments during my undergrad.

Welcome to O Chem. Really, its like a bad hooker. Overwhelming, leaves you with scratches on your back, a burning sensation when you urinate and a lack of money.

Thanks...I just sprayed Coke all over my computer screen after it shot out of my nose!! :laugh:

However, having just started first semester o-chem, I think I'm gonna go get a stock supply of penicillin!

I just aced my first Orgo exam, thanks almost entirely to Organic Chemistry as a Second Language...
Seriously, this thing is an absolute lifesaver. I began it over the summer, and staying ahead of the wave had been the greatest thing ever.
I can't recommend it highly enough.

I just got an A on my first Ochem exam. I also went to a community college and now I am the University. We have 130 people in our class and our class average was 49%. I studied for 2 weeks for this exam. About 30 hrs each week. It is not easy...

IMO OChem II was much easier than OChem I, mainly because its basically the same principles, you just are more experienced at working with them.

I made an A in both.

I just got an A on my first Ochem exam. I also went to a community college and now I am the University. We have 130 people in our class and our class average was 49%. I studied for 2 weeks for this exam. About 30 hrs each week. It is not easy...

:scared:

Check out Shaum's Outline for Organic Chemistry. It helped me A LOT. Got an A+ for Ochem I and an A for Ochem II because of it :0)

Organic Chemistry as a Second Language also helps.

So yeah, I definitely just made a 49 on my first Organic test.

The class size is about 120 students. I went to a community college for 3 years (where I had around a 3.4 GPA, math/science is a little higher) and this is my first semester at a university, The University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB).

Anyway, the highest score of course was a 100. The average was around a 65.

I emailed the instructor to see if there were any test forgiveness policies or anything, but there weren't any listed on the syllabus so I am assuming there aren't any.

There is a total possible of 600 points, so there goes 52 out the window leaving me with a possible of around 549/600 or a 91%.

I assume that I should just bust my butt, and go back to studying the stuff I missed/didn't understand. And then hit the last 3 tests hard. But I still feel horrible, and hardly feel like a B- is possible at this point.

Thoughts?

O-chem isn't that bad. Once it starts rolling your basically memorizing reactions and practice on how to use them. Thats all you gonna do for the year. Just practice. O-chem is one of those things where if you don't like the reagents you started with, you can always manipulate it to something you like and start from there instead.

If your a bio major, ochem is about as hard as it gets, so once your done with this class it gets better.

If your a Biochem or chem major, it becomes very different. Biochem majors have to literally memorize metabolism, including enzyme, structure, gibbs free energy, and how to manipulate this. Application becomes wacky because they will give you hypothetical situations and you will need to figure out how your body will react to the change. If your a chem major, wait until you hit p-chem. How do you make chem harder? By adding calculus and physics...;)

Don't worry yourself about the first test :)

Like others have posted, there is A LOT of memorization of reactions, order of which bonds break and move to what locations, etc. but you will figure it all out!

I personally used the Organic Chemistry for Dummies book for the first section of O. Chem and it did help make some things that were pretty fuzzy a lot less so.

Get some people together and go over the reactions, lecture notes, etc and that will help you have a great support network, too! One of you classmates might be able to help you with topics that you need some extra time with, and vice versa! All the reviewing helps tons, from my own experience!

Good luck! :luck:

Most people in my class did very bad on the first, but dont worry you will do better on the next test. dont memorize just understand how it works and you will be fine. I got a 92 on the first, my grade wasnt curved. My next test is on Friday all i need is a 90 or more and i will be happy.
I dont have the test book I am using Organic as a second Language and believe me it does all the job. Got it for 5 bucks... its worth it