First Paychecks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confettiflyer

Model Citizen™
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I finally get my first true, full, RPh paycheck this Friday (no more resident pay, yay!). All these threads about money got me thinking...

What will you/did you do with your first paycheck?

1. What did you buy/do with your 1st paycheck…ever?
  2. What did you buy/do with your 1st RPh paycheck?

1) I worked at a small bookstore - I think I spent my 1st paycheck in house. Nerd status.

2) Planning steak dinner with friends, buying parents a plane ticket, and new car down payment...car shopping this weekend.

First thought when my pay stub posted: "wow...i don't have to pay this back?"

Members don't see this ad.

I brought bulletproof hiker boots and a vest. should come in handy working in the BX :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Kind of boring, but I sent almost all of it to Sallie Mae / Credit Card

i wired money to families abroad. and still do. = )

I paid off student loans. My first pay check was a sign on bonus. 30k, 18k after taxes.

Setting up multiple dates to get some actions :-D

I'm still a year away from it but I'm thinking... new handgun.

Congrats!!!

I would probably spend it on a nice dinner and send some of it to my parents... Buy something nice to remember the occasion. ^^ (a trophy or medal? Lol)

My spouse and I are both pharmacists. His 1st paycheck as a pharmacist moved us into a better neighborhood so that was awesome. I was kind of tired of our cars getting broken into - mostly b/c neither one of us had anything worth stealing.

My 1st paycheck went to Sallie Mae.

1st pay check- I will probably spend it on myself and buy myself expensive clothes/shoes :p
1st pay check as a RPh- I will spend some of it to pay off loans and I will give the rest to my parents :D

and congrats SHC :D

Viewed my first full paycheck today. Taxes..wow.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first paycheck was split between emergency savings and some furnishings. Now that I am a few years out I stopped by the Tesla dealership last weekend. I am thinking about picking up a Tesla Model S...damn are they sweet!

Reactions: 1 user
My first paycheck was split between emergency savings and some furnishings. Now that I am a few years out I stopped by the Tesla dealership last weekend. I am thinking about picking up a Tesla Model S...damn are they sweet!

Wait a few years. I'm planning on getting one, too, but not for $80,000. In 2015-2016 they are going to release on at the $35,000 price point to compete with the 3-series/A4/C-Class type of cars.

Wait a few years. I'm planning on getting one, too, but not for $80,000. In 2015-2016 they are going to release on at the $35,000 price point to compete with the 3-series/A4/C-Class type of cars.

So you're going to retire the Taurus?

Oh wait didn't that catch on fire or something like that?

Interesting, I will think about it, 35k price range is much more appealing price point. I drove one recently and they are amazing machines.

Put mine in the bank, then used it to pay bills, student loans, saving up towards down payment for buying a house. I didn't see the first real paycheck to be significant although its nice to see a big number, but it was just another expected piece of the plan long been in place..

Put mine in the bank, then used it to pay bills, student loans, saving up towards down payment for buying a house. I didn't see the first real paycheck to be significant although its nice to see a big number, but it was just another expected piece of the plan long been in place..

you sound like so much fun to be around. :eyebrow:

you should hang with ValeUC when he gets a 1st paycheck, lol

I am looking forward to this! I will probably divide it up...mostly not to be spent right away: some will go to loans, some will go to retirement savings, some will go to living expenses, some will go to people who helped get me where I am, some will go toward saving for a really nice piece of furniture, and some will go toward saving for a wonderful vacation overseas.

you sound like so much fun to be around. :eyebrow:

you should hang with ValeUC when he gets a 1st paycheck, lol

well, by the time I collected the first real pharmacist check, I was married and had just become a father, so a night out on the town wasn't gonna fly anyway.

I guess the first money I made as a paperboy probably would have been more significant. But I put that in the bank too, under my dad's guidance, and I used it couple of years down the road to buy my first computer. Later on, I also used saving to go backpacking through europe after freshman year in college. Now those WERE exciting.

well, by the time I collected the first real pharmacist check, I was married and had just become a father, so a night out on the town wasn't gonna fly anyway.

I guess the first money I made as a paperboy probably would have been more significant. But I put that in the bank too, under my dad's guidance, and I used it couple of years down the road to buy my first computer. Later on, I also used saving to go backpacking through europe after freshman year in college. Now those WERE exciting.

Would not have expected this from you. Funny how much life changes with some people :thumbup:

First Rph paychecks will go to:

Robots, guns, horses, out on the town and adventures with girls. Gym equipment

Are we talking first salary paycheck? A first full months? Because I get that next Wednesday. I've had a half months pay check... and I've also had two OT paychecks.

No hookers.. only booze... and furniture. Because living in a nice.. EMPTY.. apartment just isn't appealing to women. Maybe I should pick up the tarps.

No, my Taurus is fine. I got fancy and purchased a Mercury Sable Premier, too. Which is basically a Taurus.

And the car that exploded was a Buick. The only GM I've ever owned. Never again.

OMG I just read your car exploding post and its hilarious!
My first car in high school was a 1984 Buick Regal - literally my grandma's car. Someone stole it while I was at work at the local Target.

Last edited:
1. That was 14 darn years ago, I have no idea. Probably $0.97/gallon gas and a T-shirt from Hot Topic my mom wouldn't buy me

2. Credit card....that paid for a Disney annual pass and iphone. :love:

Viewed my first full paycheck today. Taxes..wow.
I calculated for a friend who just started working as a pharmacist that she should put 8 allowances on her W4 to withhold the correct amount of taxes for the half year working full-time. Otherwise, she would get a massive tax refund. Each 2-week paycheck now has a little under $600 federal tax withheld.

You do need to put it back down to normal in 2014 though. Usually it is 2 allowances on your W4.

I don't remember.

Yes! That's the way to do it! Party until you pass out and wake up with no recollection of where all that first paycheck went. Odds are that you had a lot of fun. ;)

I calculated for a friend who just started working as a pharmacist that she should put 8 allowances on her W4 to withhold the correct amount of taxes for the half year working full-time. Otherwise, she would get a massive tax refund. Each 2-week paycheck now has a little under $600 federal tax withheld.

You do need to put it back down to normal in 2014 though. Usually it is 2 allowances on your W4.

Excellent point. Also consider increasing this if you work for a while as a grad intern

It is completely legal to put down any # of allowances as long as you don't owe the irs big at the end of the year. Most people seem to think this is some kind of tax evasion but the irs has stated that withholdings/allowances are just tools to help you pay the correct amount.

My first paycheck ever was part of my payment for my first car. I spent a summer working and wasn't allowed to touch any of the checks until I had enough to pay for it up front.

Honestly, I think we might just buy a comfortable bed with that first real paycheck. Any recommendations?

Are we talking first salary paycheck? A first full months? Because I get that next Wednesday. I've had a half months pay check... and I've also had two OT paychecks.

No hookers.. only booze... and furniture. Because living in a nice.. EMPTY.. apartment just isn't appealing to women. Maybe I should pick up the tarps.

If a woman like you, she doesn't care much about your furniture, they probably comment on it if you have empty space, but all you need is a mattress. But seriously, you don't even have to do much at all and they will invite/hint you into their home when they hang out with you LOL

Pumpkin is working just to pay his wife taxes >_>; I think you should just get the Tesla and live like a king a bit with dual professional income. One of my good friend has a personal cook coming by his house almost every other day LOL

First paycheck I bought a dodge viper.

I wanna get Nissan-GTR but I think I will get it when I am old lol... when I hit my retirement money $3-4M.

I did the same thing except I didn't have any loan. And, my crazy $1M before 32 yo goal has gotten in the way of experiencing more fun stuff.

I like how Pez is all gung-ho about W4 withholding LOL

My first paycheck ever was part of my payment for my first car. I spent a summer working and wasn't allowed to touch any of the checks until I had enough to pay for it up front.

Honestly, I think we might just buy a comfortable bed with that first real paycheck. Any recommendations?

Memory foam is worth a try! Temper-pedic being the high end, most expensive version.

Memory foam is worth a try! Temper-pedic being the high end, most expensive version.

Definitely. Will personally never go back to metal springs (lol outdated).. good foam mattresses will offer a mostly unconditional 15-20+ year warranty as well. They never wear out!

Tempur pedic is a waste of money though. We got a high quality queen for <$1500. I think tempur was going to be > $2500 for basically the same mattress.

As far as paychecks. I saved my first ever check at age 14 to buy computer hardware (my first "3d card" hehe)

First pharmacist check, some will go to my parents, definitely will buy a lot pf high quality food and alcohol, and the rest toward a car (my price limit for my first post grad car will be ~8500) and medical expenses for stuff that has been put off for too long during school.

I picked up this one after moving to Texas. Has since moved up, but this one is still good and going strong.

http://www.amazon.com/Sleep-Innovat...r=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Sleep+Innovations+Inc.

Would not have expected this from you. Funny how much life changes with some people :thumbup:

Pretty much everyone goes through the sow-your-wild-oats days. As much as I was raised to be rational, away from my stern parents during undergrad lead to some wild times. Those were some good times.

But yet my father was proven right. My one biggest regret was due to not listening to his teachings and let emotions trump over reasoning. As much as I still remember those times fondly, I wish I could have chosen differently.

Life has a way of changing people, most often through harsh realities.

First paycheck, I probably go to McDonald and buy a McChicken or maybe just gummy bears.

Actually, I wouldn't know... haha