First PCS after civilian residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StevenRF

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating civilian residency in a couple months and then will go active. Anyone know where I can read up more on the transition and what to do to prepare like legal docs, ID, moving, etc? I'm finding bits and pieces but nothing comprehensive.

Also anyone know what the timeline is in the AF for getting orders and what flexibility there is on start date? My detailer gave me my RFO then revoked them the same day, then went on maternity leave, and it's been silence since. My COT is to start June 30th. Is it possible to get my report date to base like a week or so ahead so I can move my family before COT? My fear is I fly out to COT while my wife gets stuck doing the relocation alone, and then subsequently either shoots me or files for divorce.

Members don't see this ad.

I finished a civilian residency last year and PCSed this past summer. Received my assignment in mid-February, was told orders would follow within a couple of weeks. After many emails and phone calls, finally got orders the last week of May, leaving barely enough time to schedule movers. I went to COT later in the summer, so I was instructed to move and check in to my new base before COT. Not sure how it works when you go to COT first. I would think you'd be able to return from COT and oversee the move at that point, travel with your family to new duty station, etc. As for how to prepare and where to find info, there's unfortunately no comprehensive source that I could find. But if you want to PM me, I can share some more of the detailed stuff, lessons learned and tips for navigating the system.

I did COT before medical school, but did a civilian residency and came on active duty last year. There is a rule where you can take leave for about a week to find a home. You should contact your commander at your upcoming base to inquire about house-hunting, etc. You may have to find a place to live now, go through COT, take leave, and then move to your new location. I do recall official orders coming out in May. As far as getting an ID, the base should issue you a sponsor who can get you on base so that you can get your military ID. A recruiter could do this, as well.