first post ever, in need of advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mwithglasses

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a 20 year female sophomore majoring in Biology. I entered college thinking I was going to medical school, but recently... my dreams may have changed. I'm now thinking PA school. Right now, my career GPA is a 2.98. The reason why it's so low? A D in calculus 1 and a C in calculus 2. I got B's in Biology and a B in Chemistry 1. Right now I'm in Chemistry 2. Anyways, my main question is here about the required direct patient care for the majority of PA schools. Currently, I have ZERO hours for patient care. I have no training for EMT, CNA, home health aide etc. My only idea is volunteering at my local hospice. Do you think this is a good idea? Does anyone have any other suggestions? And, like I said, I'm a sophomore and won't start my volunteering until May. Then I will only be volunteering May-August, Mid December-Mid January and a week in March (spring break). This isn't going to get me the 1,000 that some schools say is the bare minimum.
Help??

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I'm a 20 year female sophomore majoring in Biology. I entered college thinking I was going to medical school, but recently... my dreams may have changed. I'm now thinking PA school. Right now, my career GPA is a 2.98. The reason why it's so low? A D in calculus 1 and a C in calculus 2. I got B's in Biology and a B in Chemistry 1. Right now I'm in Chemistry 2. Anyways, my main question is here about the required direct patient care for the majority of PA schools. Currently, I have ZERO hours for patient care. I have no training for EMT, CNA, home health aide etc. My only idea is volunteering at my local hospice. Do you think this is a good idea? Does anyone have any other suggestions? And, like I said, I'm a sophomore and won't start my volunteering until May. Then I will only be volunteering May-August, Mid December-Mid January and a week in March (spring break). This isn't going to get me the 1,000 that some schools say is the bare minimum.
Help??

So let me ask you, why did your dreams change? Was it due to grades because that is what I am gathering and I hope I am incorrect. I can tell you that PA school is compettive(I know my class had an average GPA of greater than 3.5 with all of us having HCE) and many schools will screen you out due to that gpa.

Personally at 20yo, I would focus on correcting those problems with my grades and going to a medical school instead of PA school. Your very young, and if you already had the want to go to medical school it will come back one day as a PA(believe me I was done with PA school at a very young age and I am in my 30s and I am back in medical school).

gl

Help??

Well, you're a sophomore. So, you may look at that and think that you're screwed, but that just isn't the case.

Assuming that you can pull a 3.02 for the next two years, you should have an overall GPA of a 3. Obviously, if you can get higher, the better it is for your GPA. If you can pull a 3.5, for example, you can come up to around a 3.25.

DO schools allow you to retake classes and you'd get some forgiveness for that. If that were to occur, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to apply to DO schools as long as you work hard for it and get some hours (and kill the MCAT).

If you're sold on going for MD only, you'll need to take at least an extra year to raise your GPA unless you can pull a 4.0 for your remaining semesters (which would pull you up to about a 3.5).

Best of luck, and don't throw away the dream just yet. If you work for it, you can get it. ^^

PS: PA/NP/RN are not back-up careers. They have to work just as hard to get into their fields and a lot of them are good hardworking people. So don't say "I'll have to go to PA school" like you're taking a bullet. That's someone's dream job, their way of doing what they want to do. Just an FYI.

Members don't see this ad :)
PA/NP/RN are not good back up careers choices. I believe only 40% of BSN applicants in the year 2010 were accepted nation wide. We are now In 2013/2014, this percentage has likely dropped and I'm estimating it to be between 33-36% now. Some of the top nursing schools have less than a 10% acceptance rate which is similar to PA/Med school rates. Your still young, figure out what you want to do. I have a friend that wants to become a neurosurgical or orthopedic NP. I'm assuming most RN/PA programs require some sort of healthcare experience whether paid or volunteer work. But remember if your going into a professions thats going to deal with people's lives, admissions is going to be strict regardless of the health occupation or program.

Help??

Tell us about your dreams. Any nightmares? Send a pic so we can change our dreams :naughty:

So let me ask you, why did your dreams change? Was it due to grades because that is what I am gathering and I hope I am incorrect. I can tell you that PA school is compettive(I know my class had an average GPA of greater than 3.5 with all of us having HCE) and many schools will screen you out due to that gpa.

Personally at 20yo, I would focus on correcting those problems with my grades and going to a medical school instead of PA school. Your very young, and if you already had the want to go to medical school it will come back one day as a PA(believe me I was done with PA school at a very young age and I am in my 30s and I am back in medical school).

gl
My dreams changed because I personally don't think I have a shot at medical school or DO school. I'm not saying PA school is easier, but I think I have a better chance of getting in. I also feel like if I was rejected from all the med schools/DO schools I applied to, I would give up. Medical school is such a long process and I don't want to have to wait another year til I become a doctor. But with PA school, if I get rejected to all of them the first time, I'm 100% willing to reapply the next cycle. This is because PA is much shorter.

PS: PA/NP/RN are not back-up careers. They have to work just as hard to get into their fields and a lot of them are good hardworking people. So don't say "I'll have to go to PA school" like you're taking a bullet. That's someone's dream job, their way of doing what they want to do. Just an FYI.

I'm not saying it's a back-up career. I've done a LOT of research of what a PA is and how to get into the programs. I've literally teared up because it seems perfect for me. I would love to go to PA school.

My dreams changed because I personally don't think I have a shot at medical school or DO school. I'm not saying PA school is easier, but I think I have a better chance of getting in. I also feel like if I was rejected from all the med schools/DO schools I applied to, I would give up. Medical school is such a long process and I don't want to have to wait another year til I become a doctor. But with PA school, if I get rejected to all of them the first time, I'm 100% willing to reapply the next cycle. This is because PA is much shorter.
If you play your cards right you still have a good shot at MD/DO. Ways of bringing up your grades could be switching your major into something you know you can excel in, taking difficult pre-med classes during summer at local community colleges (controversial on SDN but I've seen plenty of student do this and still get multiple acceptances myself included), and taking time to find ways of better time management and study skills. You should know that you are still in a good place for medical schools you just have to be smart about it and protect your GPA at all costs. Don't plan on re-applying (which is a pain) work hard to make the best application you can the first time around, even if you take a fifth year of school.

But then again, one of the biggest factors in your success in this is that you have to really WANT to be in medical school and be willing to but in the effort. If the possibility of waiting an extra year is enough to make you want PA then you probably didn't want the MD/DO enough to begin with

I'm not trying to be harsh, but I think it is something I think you need to hear.

Judging from the above statement, you are exactly what PA ADCOM's are not looking for. They go through great lengths to screen out the pre-med drop-outs. You would have to be willing to lie your butt off in your personal statement (not advised)....or fall on your sword and tell the truth; then be prepared to tap-dance if you get an interview. They are looking for people who WANT to be PA's, not folks who settled for PA. It's a double edged sword.

You have the time and opportunity to change your GPA. If you do it, keep your options open. The average acceptance GPA for PA schools in 2012 was 3.5, you do not have a better chance based on GPA only.

If you can turn things around and swing a 3.3'ish you may still want to look into taking the MCAT. DO schools are a bit more forgiving when it comes to GPA. A 3.3'ish GPA for PA school is okay if you have other areas of your application that can dazzle them....high level healthcare experience.

I'm not saying don't try for PA...if you really feel that the job itself is the right move for you, then good. Get out of the mindset that it is somehow the easier route to take or that it is a backup. It's shorter....that's about it. You will never have the total scope of practice that a MD/DO has and deserves. You indicated that you once wanted that.....will you really be happy not having it?

If you play your cards right you still have a good shot at MD/DO. Ways of bringing up your grades could be switching your major into something you know you can excel in, taking difficult pre-med classes during summer at local community colleges (controversial on SDN but I've seen plenty of student do this and still get multiple acceptances myself included), and taking time to find ways of better time management and study skills. You should know that you are still in a good place for medical schools you just have to be smart about it and protect your GPA at all costs. Don't plan on re-applying (which is a pain) work hard to make the best application you can the first time around, even if you take a fifth year of school.

But then again, one of the biggest factors in your success in this is that you have to really WANT to be in medical school and be willing to but in the effort. If the possibility of waiting an extra year is enough to make you want PA then you probably didn't want the MD/DO enough to begin with

Problem is, I literally don't want to major in anything else. And I don't think I have enough time to start a new major now. I barely have enough time to complete a Biology major. I honestly do want to be a medical doctor, but I feel like if I don't get accepted the first time, it's not worth it. And I've been wanting to be a doctor since I was about 3 or 4.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but I think it is something I think you need to hear.

Judging from the above statement, you are exactly what PA ADCOM's are not looking for. They go through great lengths to screen out the pre-med drop-outs. You would have to be willing to lie your butt off in your personal statement (not advised)....or fall on your sword and tell the truth; then be prepared to tap-dance if you get an interview. They are looking for people who WANT to be PA's, not folks who settled for PA. It's a double edged sword.

You have the time and opportunity to change your GPA. If you do it, keep your options open. The average acceptance GPA for PA schools in 2012 was 3.5, you do not have a better chance based on GPA only.

If you can turn things around and swing a 3.3'ish you may still want to look into taking the MCAT. DO schools are a bit more forgiving when it comes to GPA. A 3.3'ish GPA for PA school is okay if you have other areas of your application that can dazzle them....high level healthcare experience.

I'm not saying don't try for PA...if you really feel that the job itself is the right move for you, then good. Get out of the mindset that it is somehow the easier route to take or that it is a backup. It's shorter....that's about it. You will never have the total scope of practice that a MD/DO has and deserves. You indicated that you once wanted that.....will you really be happy not having it?

Like I said, it's not really a back-up. My dreams have changed. No one can blame me for that. I had never even heard of a PA until just about a year ago (so AFTER I started college). I love the idea of being a PA and I honestly think it's a great job and I know I'd be good at it. Of course I want to be a doctor, I just don't think I'd make it. And really, I'd rather take the GREs than the MCATs.

Problem is, I literally don't want to major in anything else. And I don't think I have enough time to start a new major now. I barely have enough time to complete a Biology major. I honestly do want to be a medical doctor, but I feel like if I don't get accepted the first time, it's not worth it. And I've been wanting to be a doctor since I was about 3 or 4.
like I wrote before, there are ways to get there if you are willing to put in effort and stamina, especially for someone as young as you, its far from over. But MD isn't for everyone, if you really think that PA suits your needs more then good luck to you in its pursuit.

Like I said, it's not really a back-up. My dreams have changed. No one can blame me for that. I had never even heard of a PA until just about a year ago (so AFTER I started college). I love the idea of being a PA and I honestly think it's a great job and I know I'd be good at it. Of course I want to be a doctor, I just don't think I'd make it. And really, I'd rather take the GREs than the MCATs.

PA school is not an easier alternative to med school. In some ways it might be harder, as you are working on a compressed time frame. If you want to be a doctor go for that.

I can say now your GPA will screen you out of most schools. Especially if your science GPA does not get a huge boost. This last years cycle of applicants apparently was about as competitive as ever, and it's only getting harder to get in.

If you want to get in here is what I would do (in retrospect):

Go get licensed as an EMT or Paramedic. Take the extra time for these certs/degrees and take the extra time to work.
Grab a major like Psych. It will help you deal with people, you can tailor it towards a biological basis (if you're school is big enough and offers the courses), and some classes will actually help you out in the future. Plus the major is not the hardest in the world.
Make sure you kill your science classes pre-reqs. You will want to show that you can make A's in Micro, Anatomy and phys, orgo/biochem, etc.

It seems like you are off to a rough start, be sure that you make your schedule something you can manage in order to do well in your core classes, and do what you can to get that GPA up to at least a 3.25. You may not show the highest GPA, but a trend upwards can only help.

If you have any other specific questions feel free to private message me.

I am flummoxed that you are so rushed at only 20?!
I was 24 when I started PA school.
I am 39 and will graduate med school at 40. Lots of time left.
I taught PAs and have reviewed many, many apps and interviewed lots of prospective PAs. As it stands now your app wouldn't make it past the screeners in the admissions office. If you landed in my office across my desk for an interview, I would sniff out within the first 2 minutes that you really wanted to go to medical school but thought PA was easier.
Sorry sister, it ain't, and moreover you are not a competitive candidate for any but the least persnickety and least reputable programs.
Take some time to strengthen your grades. Get a job in healthcare. Find something you love and can be passionate about. Make your own money, pay your own bills and establish a grown-up life outside of school. Take time OFF from school if you need to do that. It is hardly a death knell--often the maturity one learns in a few years of NOT being a student is invaluable in real life and in relating to patients.

I taught PAs and have reviewed many, many apps and interviewed lots of prospective PAs. As it stands now your app wouldn't make it past the screeners in the admissions office. If you landed in my office across my desk for an interview, I would sniff out within the first 2 minutes that you really wanted to go to medical school but thought PA was easier.
Sorry sister, it ain't, and moreover you are not a competitive candidate for any but the least persnickety and least reputable programs.
Take some time to strengthen your grades. Get a job in healthcare. Find something you love and can be passionate about. Make your own money, pay your own bills and establish a grown-up life outside of school. Take time OFF from school if you need to do that. It is hardly a death knell--often the maturity one learns in a few years of NOT being a student is invaluable in real life and in relating to patients.

This :thumbup:

Get a grip and buckle down on your studies. You can do a LOT in 2 years. And, like most have mentioned, DO has grade replacement. Soooo, if you really want to be a doctor, put your nose in the books and use the gift of grade replacement, if needed. Good Luck

I recently decided I'm going to become an LNA this summer and work a lot. This will make good money AND I'll be getting the direct care hours I need in. As a sophomore, I completely understand I wouldn't be getting in PA school with my grades. I don't plan on applying for awhile. I'm going to TRY to get in to PA school right out of undergrad, but if I don't get in... I will continue working as an LNA, maybe take an online course, shadow more, get better LORs. I'm quite excited :)