First post. Question about AMCAS rounding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pchitsaz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have been lurking these forums for a long time and I think it's about time I become a member. I had a question regarding GPA rounding. I am aware that GPA on AMCAS is rounded to 2 decimal places (i.e. 3.895 = 3.90) However, my GPA at time of application will be 3.8947

I have two questions:

1- Would my GPA be rounded to 3.90?

2- If it is not rounded to 3.90, do you think I should take a 1hr fitness course in the summer to bring it up to 3.895 and thus 3.90.

Lastly, I know this question will make a lot of people mad (omfg you have a 3.89 stop complaining!) but I just want to be in that upper bracket...

Thank you all for your help in advance,

Kind Regards,

RA

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I have been lurking these forums for a long time and I think it's about time I become a member. I had a question regarding GPA rounding. I am aware that GPA on AMCAS is rounded to 2 decimal places (i.e. 3.895 = 3.90) However, my GPA at time of application will be 3.8947

I have two questions:

2- If it is not rounded to 3.90, do you think I should take a 1hr fitness course in the summer to bring it up to 3.895 and thus 3.90.

Lastly, I know this question will make a lot of people mad (omfg you have a 3.89 stop complaining!) but I just want to be in that upper bracket...

Kind Regards,

RA

I don't think you should worry about this. There have to be better ways to spend your time than taking that class.

Reactions: 1 user
You could have made your first post a tad less neurotic. That said, I think you'll fit right in.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

I have two questions:

Kind Regards,

RA
1. No
2. Do what you want. It's your time and money.

You may calculate your GPA to 3.8947, but it's highly doubtful that any academic institution (or the AAMC) is carrying that many sig figs through the overall calculation. So they likely will never reach that specific number in the first place...how they'd round it is irrelevant.

Do it. That 0.01 due to rounding is going to be the deciding factor for HMS and the other top-tiers.

ADCOM: So I see that you took a 1 credit hour fitness course this summer? Why fitness?
You: To get my GPA up 0.01 decimal points
ADCOM: ..........