First Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kristine Marie-Adel

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Here's a little background, i would really like some advice. I went to three different undergraduate institutions: Freshman year a state school (2.7 GPA); Sophomore year at a community college (3.6) and lastly Junior and Senior year at a University where i ended up with an Overall GPA of 3.0. I graduated in 2009 with a BA in Communications. I plan on completing my pre-requisites by going through the Extension program my University offers. I have yet to take any science and math classes as it wasn't required for my major.

I have started shadowing at the dental clinic where we are stationed on Guam and have a little over 100 hours. I have yet to take the DAT, i'm waiting until i have most of the pre-reqs done so i have fresh knowledge for the test.

I was wondering the following: 1. Would a post-bacc be better than going back through undergrad courses? 2. What GPA should i aim for? 3. Should i do anything else to boost my chances besides getting better grades? 4. Does anyone know if I could join the Pre-dent society at the University if i am only an extension student and not a registered full time student?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You should probably do a career changers post bacc.. It is easier to get the classes, you can complete them in a shorter time period, and it would set you up with a committee letter if the school offers it

2. Aim for a 4.0.. Sky's the limit

3. Build good relationships with the dentist you're working with (it will help come time to get letters of rec). Also, try to engage in diverse dental experiences so that your commitment to the profession is evident. Finally, do cool/UNIQUE stuff (EC's, hobbies, etc) that will make you stand out from the pack.. Admissions committees love talking about your interesting hobbies/experiences (probably more so than about dentistry)

4. Probably could but check with the school. If you did a post-bacc, you could for sure