First Time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NAVYLABTECH08

DA DOCTOR IS HERE
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, The earliest i can submit my application is in early August.Is this still " early enough" or am i behind the 8 ball? How many months will pass ( best guess) when I hear something back? (ie: Secondary app, rejection, or possible interview) How long, on average, is the wait to find out that you are in?

Members don't see this ad.

try to submit earlier if possible. And there is no guessing how early/late you will hear. Some schools will immiditely ask for secondary application within the week of AMCAS verification. Some schools will take weeks just to decide on asking secondary. So, no way to tell

I definitely agree...there really shouldn't be any reason you cannot get the primary app in sooner...if anything, start putting everything you need together now...most of the app is quite simple to fill out, so begin working on a PS early so you have time to get it reviewed by others, and you should be set...August is not too late, especially if you have a superior application, but to give yourself the very best opportunity possible at all schools, it would be in your best interest to get things done sooner!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not way too behind yet in August, but you're somewhat lagging behind the curve. If you get your primary in by August, you'd be verified around the end of August. That means the earliest you'd finish all your secondaries is probably the end of September.

In such a scenario, you would likely not get any invites until November-January, and you'd be interviewing January to March, with possibility of acceptances February to April.

Submitting so late hurts your chances quite a bit, but not so badly that you cannot get in anywhere.

I submitted on the last day of July and was verified on 8/20. I was complete most places mid-Sept (my pre-med committee doesn't interview until late August at the earliest). I received 3 interviews in October and one in late November and I had 2 acceptances before the new year.

I think SDN makes out August to be super late, but I don't think it is at all. You obviously won't hear anything on Oct. 15 like a lot of people on here do, but it's not the end of the world.

I submitted on the last day of July and was verified on 8/20. I was complete most places mid-Sept (my pre-med committee doesn't interview until late August at the earliest). I received 3 interviews in October and one in late November and I had 2 acceptances before the new year.

I think SDN makes out August to be super late, but I don't think it is at all. You obviously won't hear anything on Oct. 15 like a lot of people on here do, but it's not the end of the world.

I agree totally. I submitted my primary in July but wasn't marked complete until end of September and for some, the beginning of Oct.(Really long delay in my committee letter) I managed to do 8 interview last semester and had 3 acceptances before christmas so you really aren't at too much of a disadvantage. If you have your committee letter ready as early as possible and write your secondaries quickly you should be just fine. Good Luck!

The earlier you submit, the earlier you get verified. I submitted June 16 and was verified June 18.

Ok, The earliest i can submit my application is in early August.Is this still " early enough"?

At some schools, more than 50% of all the applications that arrive (electronically) will be ahead of you. Still, every one gets reviewed. You just might be left hanging until later in the cycle for interview invites. You do what you can do.

I definitely agree...there really shouldn't be any reason you cannot get the primary app in sooner...if anything, start putting everything you need together now...most of the app is quite simple to fill out, so begin working on a PS early so you have time to get it reviewed by others, and you should be set...August is not too late, especially if you have a superior application, but to give yourself the very best opportunity possible at all schools, it would be in your best interest to get things done sooner!!

I won't have my O. cHM II grade posted until the end of this summer. That means that it will take me like a week to get the official transcript. Again, I am a first time applicant. How exactly does AMCAS work? Can I submit everything without that grade and submit it later to amcas? :confused:

I won't have my O. cHM II grade posted until the end of this summer. That means that it will take me like a week to get the official transcript. Again, I am a first time applicant. How exactly does AMCAS work? Can I submit everything without that grade and submit it later to amcas? :confused:

You don't need the o-chem grade if you have everything else. Heck, I know an applicant last year who didn't complete Biology II until well after receiving offers from several top schools.

You don't need the o-chem grade if you have everything else. Heck, I know an applicant last year who didn't complete Biology II until well after receiving offers from several top schools.

So, schools are aware that a grade is progress? Are there any hiccups with AMCAS delaying reporting grades? When is the earliest date that I can submit my application?

So, schools are aware that a grade is progress? Are there any hiccups with AMCAS delaying reporting grades? When is the earliest date that I can submit my application?

You can list on the AMCAS application the courses that you are currently taking or courses that you will take in the future (e.g. someone may be taking a required course in the Spring before med school matriculation). You must show (by providing a transcript to the med school that takes you) that you've had the courses before you matriculate, not before you submit the AMCAS.

The sooner you turn in your app, the sooner you can interview, and then the sooner you can get accepted. Trust me, life is much easier when you get to spend 7-8 months knowing you have a school to go to next year rather than scrambling around preparing to re-apply.