First time Canadian DO applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winner32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time lurker first time poster.

Pursuing a career in healthcare has always been a goal of mine, however I did not know exactly which specific career I'd be interested in. For the first 2.5 years of undergrad, I was pursuing Dentistry and was even planning on taking the DAT in the summer. However, in the back of my mind, medicine (allopathic or osteopathic) was also something I had always thought about studying. Long story short, after thorough research, osteopathic medicine has grasped my interest the most.

I know DO schools require or prefer students shadowing physicians who are a DOs, but here in Canada there isn't many to choose from. The doctor I'm planning on shadowing is an MD but has received training in OMT so its the closest I can get to a DO.

I am finishing my 3rd year of undergrad in Canada and my stats as of now look like this (not including two summer classes I plan to take:

cGPA = 3.53
sGPA = 3.42
MCAT = TBD

I understand Canadians generally need higher stats than Americans when applying to DO schools but I hopefully plan to compensate with a high MCAT score. I'm thinking of taking the new MCAT sometime late July early August. I understand the application process is rolling admission so applying early even without MCAT scores is crucial.

I guess my main question is, should I still consider applying this year (class of 2016) to DO school even though I just recently changed my career choice. I feel if I was applying to dentistry in the States, I would have more ECs and volunteer work that I could include in my app since I had over 2 years to prepare. Besides my dentistry ECs (research, shadowing, volunteering, ect..), for now I don't have anything that is overly impressive compared to other applicants who've been eyeing DO for a long time. I still have a decent amount of community involvement. Some of which include volunteering as a teacher for sunday school (from church) for over 3 years, and being a local facilitator who organizes youth service projects within the community (1 year). I plan on shadowing a few doctors during the summer and volunteering in a lab but as of now, I don't think I can do anything overly impressive before June and add it to my application. I see some people with over 1000 hours of hospital volunteering and research and its kind of discouraging me.

If you don't think I'll have a good shot this year even with a decent mcat score (i.e. >508), would you suggest I apply to a 1 year post bach or Masters program which have linkages to the DO school? Should I apply for DO school and Masters simultaneously?

I really appreciate the help. Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

See my reply in your cross-post.