First Time Poster (need some opinions on where to apply!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Em_Bo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a junior biology and Spanish major, with a chemistry minor at a small liberal arts school in NYC. I plan on taking my MCAT next month and apply in June. I was wondering what my chances will be getting into the following schools: USC (MD and MD/MPH), SDSU, UMiami (MD and MD/MPH), UMaryland, Tufts (MD and MD/MPH), NJMS (MD and MD/MPH), RWJMS (MD and MD/MPH), Duke, Penn State, and Sidney Kimmel MC. Also, if anyone has suggestions on how I can improve my app, what schools I should be looking at, OR if I should take a gap year, please let me know!

NJ Resident

GPA: 3.904 sGPA: 3.90 (4.0 not including A-'s)
MCAT: Aiming for ~509

ECs
President of HFH since my sophomore year (arranged spring break abroad trip to El Salvador)
VP of Alpha Phi Omega (service fraternity)
pre-health club, Beta Beta Beta, and ODK

Volunteer/Clinical
Alright so I know this has been a pretty controversial topic in the past, but I've been certified as an EMT since my senior year of high school (Fall 2011) and have volunteered ever since for a weekly shift for my local first aid squad and feel my exposure has not only been diverse, but has inspired me to pursue a career in medicine. (~11hrs/week)
Also, this summer I'm studying abroad in Costa Rica and hope to volunteer in a hospital while I'm there!

Shadowing
Starting next week in an ER, hope to get about 50hrs-75hrs before I apply.

Jobs
During the year: Desk Attendant (freshman yr-present), Biology/Biostats Peer Tutor (1st semester junior year-present)
Summer: Camp Counselor (2011, 2012, 2013); Chemistry Lab Assistant (2014) Res Life office assistant (2014)

Research
Not sure if this counts, but I'm working on a histological atlas of zebrafish cerebellum for my thesis.

Also a recipient of a bunch of different academic and service related awards!

Thanks for all your help and hope I'm not asking too much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to be shooting for better than 506 for Maryland, USC and Duke.

What score should I reach for and do you think I need to add more volunteer clinical exp?

Members don't see this ad :)
What score should I reach for and do you think I need to add more volunteer clinical exp?
For Duke: 522 and compelling research.
For USC: 518 and compelling commitment to service.
I can't recommend Maryland though your metrics would be fine at 506. Even the best IS candidates can't get in there. The IS matriculation for Maryland is worse than CA (13.5%)!

Those mission experiences in South America probably won't get you much traction.
There must be something useful you can do closer to home.

For Duke: 522 and compelling research.
For USC: 518 and compelling commitment to service.
I can't recommend Maryland though your metrics would be fine at 506. Even the best IS candidates can't get in there. The IS matriculation for Maryland is worse than CA (13.5%)!

Those mission experiences in South America probably won't get you much traction.
There must be something useful you can do closer to home.

Thanks for all your help thus far! As for more clinical experience, I'm planning on applying to the following for my senior year. I know its after I submit my apps, but I was thinking about mentioning in my secondaries (if I get any) that I plan on completing this program and talking about my experience in it during my interviews. I know it's a lot to bank on, but if I can avoid it, I'm trying not to take a gap year.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 12.15.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-13 at 12.15.20 AM.png
    109 KB · Views: 60
Is the only research you have the one thing you mentioned. If so I'd rethink applying to all of those MD/Phd programs. Seems like a rather skimpy amount of research for consideration at a Phd program!

You're right. That's what I get for skimming instead of reading. Sorry!

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: 1 user