English Composition 1

2nd semester
English composition 2
General chemistry 1 + lab

Summer
General chemistry 2+ lab
Psychology for personal effectiveness

Members don't see this ad.

1) More appropriate in hSDN (for high-schoolers)

2) High School coursework is irrelevant to medical school (although please note that many college students use AP credits from high school to get credit in college....but many medical schools do not accept AP credits, so keep this in mind).

It looks that you'll get some credits early on (for gen eds), which is always nice. However, you'll still have to take all of the pre-reqs for medical school while in undergrad.

3) As long as you get into college (any 4-year university, really), and you perform well in college (not only grades, but ECs, letters of rec, etc.), then you should be prepared for the medical school application process.

Thus, focus on having good grades for now, and on your ACT/SATs, which are ALSO completely irrelevant to medical schools. Aside from good grades/doing hobbies that you enjoy, try learning about the field of medicine (shadowing), and in your last 1-2 years of high school, learn about what it takes to apply to medical school (what courses do I have to take? What exams do I have to take?), so that you know how best to prepare yourself to hit the ground running in college.

You've got a very long way to go; keep following this site, and stay on the hSDN forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/hsdn.420/

gr8 b8 m8, i r8 it 8/8

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
gr8 b8 m8, i r8 it 8/8

I don't think it's a troll.

I've worked with a number of young students with similar courses that do dual enrollment (and research), and are way ahead of the game. He probably just doesn't understand SDN or the process of medical school applications.

No one told me this in high school, but your grades in dual enrollment classes will affect your total GPA when you apply to medical schools because you get community college credit. They can either help your GPA a lot or hurt you a lot. APs will not affect your GPA when applying to medical school. If you feel that you can't get straight As or at least mostly As in dual enrollment classes, drop them and take APs because they will really hurt your GPA and your chances for med school in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
Your HS grades don't count for medical school. The only bearing it has on college is your GPA and having taken the required classes for college. Learn effective study habits, study in college, and you'll be fine. The only things that count for medical school that started before college are continuous volunteer activities or jobs. So if you volunteer at a hospital from 15-22, it will count for your medical school application. If you volunteer from 15-17 it would not count for your medical school application. The general rule is nothing before college counts on your medical school application...

I agree with what's been posted here. One additional thing to consider is how your high school grades AP vs. dual enrollment classes.

When I was in high school (a really long time ago), AP classes were graded on a 5.0 scale, but dual-enrollment classes were only graded on a 4.0 scale. This made a big difference when it came to class ranking. If having a shot at being valedictorian is important to you, I would suggest thinking about AP courses instead. As others have said, you'll be taking just about everything once you get to college anyway, and dual-enrollment courses can actually hurt your college GPA if you perform poorly, while AP courses cannot.

I like that you are taking English Composition. I feel strongly that most pre-meds have no idea how to put cogent thought to paper.

Do well in school to get into college. Worry about med school when you start college. I would recommend getting a gf and enjoying yourself as well. And don't do anything stupid.

I'd take dual enrollment over AP any day of the week. Dual enrollment you are at least sure to have real college credits that won't be a problem for grad school apps. AP, while it's nice if you care about being the top 1% of your high school class, can be hit or miss when it comes time to apply to any kind of post-graduate program.

I would strongly strongly advise against taking dual enrollment for the same reasons as @Afford has mentioned. It's not worth the saved money, I've seen too many kids either A) lose the entire high school experience including friends B) become depressed and have a dangerously low GPA C) Take the classes like a high school class and get poor scores on tests. This is a lifetime decision to join a dual enrollment course and often before the age of 16 you aren't fully able to comprehend as much of your future as you would three or four years from now. This is true no matter how well you think you can do. Your ventromedial prefrontal cortex hasn't developed to form a solid foundation of long term decision making. I don't know if you're trolling but I'm going to assume you aren't, and take your HS chem physics and bio. Think of it like this: you'll be getting all of the knowledge of entry level sciences; without the grades of college. It's a pre round for college sciences. And this way you'll get guaranteed A's for easy first year college courses. I also recommend joining college at the usual age of 18 because of the EC opportunities and research opportunities that are only open for 18+ year olds.

#1 Learn how to read by reading.
#2 Learn how to write by writing/reading.
#3 Learn how to socialize by making friends.

Doing those three as well as doing normal academics in high school will prepare you for applying to medical school and a future career in medicine better than any type of advanced class program that you can come up with. You are not going to wow anyone by taking more or harder classes. You WILL impress people if you have a good verbal score on your standardized tests. You WILL impress people if you write well. You WILL be a better doctor if you can relate better to people by being a well adjusted, sociable person.

- Every resident in our work room right now

No one told me this in high school, but your grades in dual enrollment classes will affect your total GPA when you apply to medical schools because you get community college credit. They can either help your GPA a lot or hurt you a lot. APs will not affect your GPA when applying to medical school. If you feel that you can't get straight As or at least mostly As in dual enrollment classes, drop them and take APs because they will really hurt your GPA and your chances for med school in the future.

Well, this depends on the following circumstance; do you plan to attend the university you are doing the dual enrollment courses at for your 4 year degree?
In my case, I am attending a local university, that I will transfer out of to go to a 4 year college. I will only receive credit for the courses at the 4 year,however, they will not help or hurt my gpa.

Well, this depends on the following circumstance; do you plan to attend the university you are doing the dual enrollment courses at for your 4 year degree?
In my case, I am attending a local university, that I will transfer out of to go to a 4 year college. I will only receive credit for the courses at the 4 year,however, they will not help or hurt my gpa.

When you report your grades on amcas, your grades at your local university will affect your GPA because amcas recalculates your GPA to include all college courses taken. The only way that they don't affect your grades is if your local university does not give you a transcript or all of your grades are pass.