First year was bad, what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MagicDrumSticks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the first year I went to college, we had a lot of sudden financial issues. IRS was trying to sue us about something we shouldn't have been accused of. But anyhow, it placed a tremendous amount of stress on me because if we lost the lawsuit, we would pretty much be bankrupt.

1st Semester University of North Texas
Bio 1: B
Bio 1 Lab: B
Psychology 2: A
History 2620 (Part 2): C
English College Rhetoric I: B

GPA 3.0

2nd Semester (The case really started to turn for the worse, and I started to worry so much that I just started to sleep in so much and missed classes)
Bio 2: B
Bio 2 Lab: D (Yeah I know, I'm going to retake it)
College Alg: C
Technical Writing: C
Aesthetics of Theater: C
Government 2: B

GPA 2.62

After that I took Gen Chem I and II at Community college.
Gen Chem I (Single grade no seperate lab grade): A
Gen Chem II (Currently taking): A-B??

So? Am I finished?

Members don't see this ad.

You`re never finished... you might have to work harder / study longer than you thought, get a masters or PhD maybe / distinguish yourself from others by doing things that arent related to academics... etc
but it all depends on how much you`re willing to work for it and to show the admission committee that your first year does not display your true abilities... if dentistry is really what you want, then dont give up, it`s worth it !!!

You're never finished until you give up.

Study harder, rock the DAT, and you will be fine.

ps: that was only your first year? That GPA can be fixed and you can write a short explanation about it in your personal statement upon application.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol dont be pissed. my gpa is 3.0 and im applying in may so i gotta raise that in two quarter's time...

I am not sure how many credits you have but I started off with 35 credits from a community college and had an accumulative of 2.9 or so. During this time I did the bio sequence and gen chem 1&2. After a break from school I came back and am now going to a university. I have over 70 credits with a 3.94 GPA. That rounds it off to a 3.6 average for both colleges. Trust me this was not easy when I was taking physiology, genetics, cell bio, ochem, bio chem, histology and a bunch of other science classes to make up for bad grades in easy classes.

But I made it my job. I put the pressure on my self and said 1 B could mean no dental school which has been my dream since a little kid(No Joke). If I can do it... I am positive you can do it. Make school your job and figure out now what you need to do to get A's.

Good Luck and hope you do well. You haven't messed anything up! Show them you have some character and make up for what you have done in the next little while. ;)

Do what you can to get an A in your chem class...

Note: My first 35 credits were done with very little Extracurriculars. My past credits have been done with about 650+ hours of volunteering, society involvment, ect... YOU CAN DO IT!

You can get in to dental school without even doing grad school IMO, you just have to give up and aim to get 3.7+ every semester from now on. Just give up having a life and dont fall behind. Don't wait for the couple of days before a test to start studying and you'll be fine.

you are fine. get on deans list for the rest of your semesters and you wont have any trouble as long as you get a good dat score