First Year Woes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrVanNostran

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else feel like quitting? Intern year seems like a vacation in retrospect lol.

Who else is hating there first year?

Members don't see this ad.

My advice to interviewees on ranking:

1. Be honest about your goals when you rank, private vs academics. I know you know.

2. Pay close attention to the level of fellow happiness and general enthusiasm. If you liked the culture of your residency program, look for something similar.

3. Location. Is proximity to family important? Do you need a big city?

4. Overall support for fellows--money for conferences, good education, supportive staff. This is hard to tell on an interview, but see if you can dig t out of the fellows.

5. Convenience. How many hospitals do you cover? Are they close to each other? Does the hospital have resident covered services?

6. Fellowship rankings, U.S. News ranking do not matter.

Pay attention to things that really matter to you. Your experience is much more rewarding if you are at a place that you are happy.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else feel like quitting? Intern year seems like a vacation in retrospect lol.

Who else is hating there first year?
I'm pretty sure I've said it here a million times, but just in case...first year of fellowship is far worse than intern year. I worked much harder, more was expected of me, and I felt much dumber as a first year fellow than I did as an intern.

On the flip side, once this year is over, you're more or less home free for the next 2 years.

And then it starts all over again.

Members don't see this ad :)
A first year intern knows nothing and nobody expects anything out of you
A first year fellow knows nothing but people expect "some" out of you

once you're done with the heavy inpatient rotations that the 1st year in most programs is full of, it'll get much better... I mean much much better

Im actually finding my first year quite enjoyable? Yes it gets busy when on call but gota tough it out i guess?
They dont expect alot at this point may be after 6months?
Its a v steep learning curve , even more than residency, for that at least u have an idea about medicine . Steps prepare u for that, this is another ball game .
I find going through staging of patients i saw at night helpful, asco sap a good resourse but is kinda dull book , i actually found the bethesda clinical oncology to be a little better. Just gota mentally psych my self before a BMT rotation comes again, that was a killer lol.
Hope u have fun guys, theres light at the end of the tunnel, we will get there soon!
Thanks gutonc for ur advice like always!

My advice to interviewees on ranking:

1. Be honest about your goals when you rank, private vs academics. I know you know.

2. Pay close attention to the level of fellow happiness and general enthusiasm. If you liked the culture of your residency program, look for something similar.

3. Location. Is proximity to family important? Do you need a big city?

4. Overall support for fellows--money for conferences, good education, supportive staff. This is hard to tell on an interview, but see if you can dig t out of the fellows.

5. Convenience. How many hospitals do you cover? Are they close to each other? Does the hospital have resident covered services?

6. Fellowship rankings, U.S. News ranking do not matter.

Pay attention to things that really matter to you. Your experience is much more rewarding if you are at a place that you are happy.

Good luck

Given point #1 I am assuming you are in a more research heavy program when you might be more clinically oriented. I was wondering how you feel this negatively affects your experience, as I am currently thinking over the same factors as I make my list. I figured at least if I didn't want to do research long term it would be a valuable experience. Do you think this is inaccurate?