Fiu???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HellaStellar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm torn! On one hand, I think of all the great possibilities of getting to be the first class. On the other, so many things can go wrong due to lack of experience, and they have no reputation (thus, possibly affecting how you do in match??). Would it be worth attending this school (and I can live at home), or attend a much better out of state school??? (Let's forget the financial implications for just this instance)

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you CAN forget the finances.

It's free, for the love of God. Even if FIU is an utter failure (which it most certainly won't be), think about how many residencies you can apply to over the course of multiple years simply because you paid $0 for everything else.

Besides, what's the other school?

Furthermore, imagine how thrilled your SO/spouse will be when you don't have to live in a shantytown eating generic ramen because you have no loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
Believe me, if FIU were free, I would be there in a heartbeat :laugh:. But I think you're getting confused with UCF!

I am biased because i went to FIU for UG and I LOVED it very hard. I w/d post-interview and pre-decision due to an acceptance at Penn State. FIU woulda been mad bank for me though ($50K OOS tuition and then the rest of the fees). I am curious as to which OOS school accepted you though...do you mind sharing?

Hi there,

I'm in a pretty similar position, except with The Commonwealth Medical college, which is another brand spankin new school. Yesterday I decided to go there, and I will tell you why, maybe it will help you with your own choice-

I think there is alot to be said for being the first class. I believe that FIU's class is very small the first year? Which= alot of personal attention. Having the Dean know you well, and have a special place in his/her heart for you because you were a member of the charter class will be HUGE when you need recs for residency.

It wont fail. There may be bumps in the road, but the LCME works hard to keep new med schools moving ONCE they have their provisional accreditation (which is the hard part to get.)

Money! It is a big deal ot have less debt when you graduate- you will be more able to choice your specialty based on your interest, and not on what will pay you most.

Lastly, think about it from FIU's point of view- they WANT to have a great reputation, so they will do whatever it takes to get their first class into amazing residencies. You'll be lucky to have such a strong force behind you.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

The other school is Mount Sinai, very hard to say no too :scared:

Lol this is an easy choice. Go Mt.Sinai. Seriously. FIU isn't UCF and giving out free tuition...Mt.Sinai, c'mon! This is easy

The other school is Mount Sinai, very hard to say no too :scared:
I agree. Shemarty has a list of tips on her MDapps.

One that I agree with goes along the lines of if one school is a much higher tier than the other, go to the higher tier school. If they are on the same level, then finances, location, fit comes into play.

(FWIW, I'm not even a rank fiend).

If anyone attending FIU school of medicine right now, can you tell why you like it there and what are some specific things about hte school or their curriculun?

Really having a hard time choosing a medical school ! FAU, FSU, OR FIU..... Help Anyone????

Really having a hard time choosing a medical school ! FAU, FSU, OR FIU..... Help Anyone????
You have exactly 7.3 months left to decide. Visit the schools, meet with the students, and make a decision based on where you feel you fit best.