Flashcards for biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derrick rose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I find that flashcards are a great way to nail down all of those trends, formulas, and "facts" within chemistry, physics, and organic chem. However, I am not sure how well they would do for my studying if I implemented them for biology as well. Is that unnecessary? What do you guys think about using flashcards for biology? Use them sparingly? If so, what types of information do you put onto flashcards in regards to the bio section?

If I were to use them for biology, it would take a long time to make all the flashcards from scratch. Have any of you used any good apps or websites (besides quizlet) that are reliable, have good information, but at the same time are efficient resources for flashcards? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure flash cards could work, but really try to see the big picture and how each of the systems interrelate. You shouldn't need to use flash cards - you don't want to make the content unmanageable by mentally sifting through rolling desks of flash cards come exam time.

I'm sure flash cards could work, but really try to see the big picture and how each of the systems interrelate. You shouldn't need to use flash cards - you don't want to make the content unmanageable by mentally sifting through rolling desks of flash cards come exam time.
Thanks, that sounds about right. I usually write the notes out on paper and highlight important bits, so that would probably do just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can import decks from quizlet and other sources or type them directly into Anki. It's stores away cards that you already know well and asks you a few days later to reinforce it. You're essentially working more on what you don't know while reinforcing what you already know a little less. It tracks your improvement with graphs which can be handy too. It's just very customizable.

I've only used the computer version. I believe there's an app for $25. I'm sure it works fine, but as far as I know, most people stick to the computer software.

Could you give me a quick run-down on Anki? Am I going to have to type out all of my flashcards on there? What is the benefit of having them mobile/computerized, besides being portable?
That's basically the benefit - they're always with you.

I usually recommend being more conservative with biology flash cards than with physics and orgo where there are so many equations and mechanisms to know. Focus simply on facts that need to be memorized. A great example would be hormones since you have to know their action, origin and type. Too many cards and it becomes ineffective.

You mentioned the time it takes to make cards from scratch but don't forget the benefit you get from simply making the card. There is a link between memory and writing something down!

Reactions: 1 users