FlexMed 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Presse

Due to the fact....
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

First and foremost, if I misplaced this thread, mods please feel free to place it in the appropriate section. This thread is for those who are interested in the new FlexMed Program, a consolidation of Mount Sinai's ScieMed and HuMed Program.

For those of you who are unaware, the program require either intro bio or chem, is open to college sophomores, and guarantees admission into Icahn School of Medicine from your sophomore year. All the info is below.

http://goo.gl/dv0Wz

Is anyone applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes I plan on applying to the Flexmed program! My preceptor said it was an excellent idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone.

First and foremost, if I misplaced this thread, mods please feel free to place it in the appropriate section. This thread is for those who are interested in the new FlexMed Program, a consolidation of Mount Sinai's ScieMed and HuMed Program.

For those of you who are unaware, the program require either intro bio or chem, is open to college sophomores, and guarantees admission into Icahn School of Medicine from your sophomore year. All the info is below.

Is anyone applying?

Not interested.

Just finished my sophomore year, oh well.

Well, that's also the second reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Thinking about applying. Not taking the 2015 MCAT would be sweet. Still, worried about cost of living in NYC. I was planing to stay in home state to save some money, but the school curriculum and student clinic are better than my state school.

Does anyone have an educated estimate of what portion of their class will be Flexmed matriculants?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I've changed my mind and decided against applying to FLEXMED. I really don't want to gamble here. I'll just apply during the regular cycle....and yes, one of the reasons is the odd name change.

Is there a way to find accepted student data? I have searched SDN and mainly what I see is data for regular admits. I do not go to a Top 20 college, but my grades rock and those that know my school understand that it is a good school. It is in the Midwest, though so I don't know if they would be familiar with the place.

What school is it? I'm from the midwest.

Hi everyone.

Is anyone applying?

In your opinion is a program like flexmed worth it? I guess my biggest hitch in applying is that I don't want to exclude the possibility that I'll be accepted at a "better" school (as in better for me for personal reasons, but it's also a top 20 school, so extremely selective). But then again, flexmed is pretty selective itself so it may not even matter.

Does anyone have any guesses what the acceptance rates/average student profile will look like? I know it will be a stretch for me, but I'm just wondering if it is worth it at all. HuMed would have been unattainable, but since they need to fill half of their class/are only accepting sophomores it may be a bit less competitive...

It seems like in trying to be innovative they are taking some chances with the composition of their class. I wonder how they are going to predict yield in order to meet their 50% benchmark.

Does anyone know the average numbers for SAT + what type of applicant profile they usually look for?

Interviewed here when it was HuMed - PM if you're interested in talking about it at all.

I think it would be worthwhile to listen to some of the podcasts or viewing sessions they made fir prospective applicants. Very Very insightful.

ACT/SAT scores required.. yeah I'll have to pass

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to all applying. I applied to HuMed last year, and was rejected with no interview. My high school GPA was 3.98, and my college cGPA was 3.92 and sGPA 4.0 at the time of my application. 33 ACT, lots of medical volunteering, shadowing, and other ECs, including a strong history of artistic passion and recognition. However, I am at a small, not well known LAC on the other side of the country. I'm not sure if that was the issue or if I simply didn't fit the profile they were looking for. And now that they've changed it, I really have no idea at all! But I thought that I'd provide some stats for someone who was in your shoes (sort of) and was unsuccessful.

Again, good luck! :)

Hey guys,

I've changed my mind and decided against applying to FLEXMED. I really don't want to gamble here. I'll just apply during the regular cycle....and yes, one of the reasons is the odd name change.

Why is the name change a factor?

So why did the name change affect your decision?

It just gave me a change of heart. Even though I'd be interested in Bench to Bedside and global health, the new name was just a huge shock to me. That name simply hold years of tradition that I was not willing to let go of. However, I will still be applying during the regular cycle...maybe.

It just gave me a change of heart. Even though I'd be interested in Bench to Bedside and global health, the new name was just a huge shock to me. That name simply hold years of tradition that I was not willing to let go of. However, I will still be applying during the regular cycle...maybe.

Doesn't sound as prestigious as Mount Sinai, eh?

While I understand that there are many personal factors, interests, and the matter of "fit" when it comes to choosing which school to apply, I really hope you won't look at the name change too critically. The name change literally does not change anything about the school. In fact, most Mt. Sinai medical students still call the school "Sinai."

If the name change is still that important for you, the word "Mt. Sinai" is still present in the school name. I believe the official name is "Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai." I highly doubt anyone will be calling it Icahn Med anytime soon. Just my thoughts :shrug:

I don't think the name change affected me much. I might still apply, although Sinai isn't my top choice.

Hahaha fine. I meant reasons :p

Hahaha I thought you were asking what school. My bad XD.

I'm looking for strong research. I've researched at Yale since high school and have gotten to know some PI's and researchers pretty well. Because of that opportunity, I've had exposure to the strengths and weaknesses of research at Yale, but overall it's only served to motivate me to pursue research there. I've also talked to some med students there and feel like it would be a good fit for me. But Yale SOM is extremely tough to get into which is why I'm trying to also maximize my chances at other strong research schools, like Sinai.

Hahaha I thought you were asking what school. My bad XD.

I'm looking for strong research. I've researched at Yale since high school and have gotten to know some PI's and researchers pretty well. Because of that opportunity, I've had exposure to the strengths and weaknesses of research at Yale, but overall it's only served to motivate me to pursue research there. I've also talked to some med students there and feel like it would be a good fit for me. But Yale SOM is extremely tough to get into which is why I'm trying to also maximize my chances at other strong research schools, like Sinai.

:thumbup: Nice, solid reasons. You will have a great Why Yale? answer. Personally living in New Haven over NYC would be a stretch for me :smuggrin:

Columbia med here ;) but that is very unlikely. I have no ties to New York.

I wish more medical schools would take the torch from Icahn and implement and early assurance program that mirrors FlexMed.

'sup y'all.

Saw this thread and thought I'd chip in. I was accepted to HuMed (this is the first year it changed to FlexMed) c/o 2020 this past fall, but decided not to attend. I'm still in contact with my would-be classmates, though. I thought I could answer some questions about the process since that's the point of SDN.

The process will be a bit different since they're expanding the class to half the entire class, but I'm sure some stuff will still carry over. :thumbup:

Judging by the posts, I'll start with the basics.

Submitted app 3 minutes before deadline (most productive 4 hours beforehand of my life haha), interviewed 2 days after Thanksgiving break, accepted over winter break, declined offer first week of 2013.

- HYP institution (definitely a plus; 4 accepted from my school including me this year).
- 3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA (at time of app)
- 2280 SAT (740R, 780M, 760W)
- 35 ACT (35E, 36M, 34R, 36S)
- 102/100 or 4.0 (?) high school GPA (we were graded numerically so idk what my actual 4.0-scale grade is)
- Built my app around health policy and wanting to go into that field (still do) as my alternate plan.
- College ECs can be found in my MDApps profile on the left below my avatar. Subtract 0.5 year for most activities and that's about what I reported on the app I believe. 2 or 3 were replaced by other filler activities I have since discontinued, and they weren't important anyway.

Is there a way to find accepted student data? I have searched SDN and mainly what I see is data for regular admits. I do not go to a Top 20 college, but my grades rock and those that know my school understand that it is a good school. It is in the Midwest, though so I don't know if they would be familiar with the place.

No, but I will tell you this of most successful applicants I've met. Many were from my college, so there's definitely some bias in the sample.

Also, FlexMed will take more people, so things probably won't be as competitive as they have been before in HuMed.

- GPA >3.7, but lower grades are not out of the question with other things to boost.
- Excellent high school record. Nearly 4.0, >1400 on SAT (excluding writing), >33 ACT

You need PASSION for something non-medical. This needs to be demonstrated already through your ECs, essay, and other accomplishments. This needs to exist. To what extent is obviously subjective, but you need to have something to show for it. A dude who's now an MS3 at Sinai founded a start-up in freshman year and ran it in his latter college and gap years. An anthro girl at my school is really into to dinosaurs (hot chick too btw) and had already been to excavations in the Middle East when she applied as a junior. Another guy I know who just graduated college had interned at the Department of State and is now going to work for Homeland Security.

Those are extreme cases, none of which I matched, but just an example of what I meant by "passion." This passion doesn't need to tie back into medicine at all.

No, but I will tell you this of most successful applicants I've met. Many were from my college, so there's definitely some bias in the sample.

Also, FlexMed will take more people, so things probably won't be as competitive as they have been before in HuMed.

- GPA >3.7, but lower grades are not out of the question with other things to boost.
- Excellent high school record. Nearly 4.0, >1400 on SAT (excluding writing), >33 ACT

You need PASSION for something non-medical. This needs to be demonstrated already through your ECs, essay, and other accomplishments. This needs to exist. To what extent is obviously subjective, but you need to have something to show for it. A dude who's now an MS3 at Sinai founded a start-up in freshman year and ran it in his latter college and gap years. An anthro girl at my school is really into to dinosaurs (hot chick too btw) and had already been to excavations in the Middle East when she applied as a junior. Another guy I know who just graduated college had interned at the Department of State and is now going to work for Homeland Security.

Those are extreme cases, none of which I matched, but just an example of what I meant by "passion." This passion doesn't need to tie back into medicine at all.

But more people are likely to apply, so the competition will still be there I think?

Judging by the posts, I'll start with the basics.

Submitted app 3 minutes before deadline (most productive 4 hours beforehand of my life haha), interviewed 2 days after Thanksgiving break, accepted over winter break, declined offer first week of 2013.

- HYP institution (definitely a plus; 4 accepted from my school including me this year).
- 3.7 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA (at time of app)
- 2280 SAT (740R, 780M, 760W)
- 35 ACT (35E, 36M, 34R, 36S)
- 102/100 or 4.0 (?) high school GPA (we were graded numerically so idk what my actual 4.0-scale grade is)
- Built my app around health policy and wanting to go into that field (still do) as my alternate plan.
- College ECs can be found in my MDApps profile on the left below my avatar. Subtract 0.5 year for most activities and that's about what I reported on the app I believe. 2 or 3 were replaced by other filler activities I have since discontinued, and they weren't important anyway.

A lot of my stats are similar to yours.

-3.6cGPA/3.9sGPA
-2290 SAT
-Didn't take the ACT
-High school GPA is kind of a mess, went from C's and D's freshman year to A's senior year, and my high school doesn't do GPA.
-I have a lot of research (>1000 hours), with several publications (2 under review, 1 to be written, and 1 that I am writing) and got awarded in Siemens Competition.
-Copy editor for schools science magazine
-I probably have some others that I can't remember right now.
-I'll probably pick up some more EC's next semester that I was eying last year.
-Did you report high school activities? I have some but I don't think it would really matter.

I think that there will be less competition this year. So far, out of all the premed people I've talked to, only 1 has heard of Mt Sinai's early assurance program, and even then they only knew HuMed, not FlexMed. Even though they've expanded the criteria, I don't think that many more people will apply. Plus, there will be extra seats available (1/4 class for HuMed, vs 1/2 class for FlexMed) that overall, at least in the initial years (I believe that this is the 2nd year for FlexMed, though I may be wrong), there will be less competition until it becomes more well known. But then again, I may be wrong.

Last edited:
But more people are likely to apply, so the competition will still be there I think?

Speculation. I don't know, no one knows. :shrug: It won't be easy, but HuMed was notoriously hard because of the small class size.