FlexMed 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RPI

Members don't see this ad.

I was expecting a heavy Ivy bias based on what I heard from previous applicants.
Oh, I thought you meant something else. It's still very private-heavy, though. We have, what, n=6 so far here on this thread? Not very representative.

For future applicants would you guys mind saying what school you go to?
I was expecting a heavy Ivy bias based on what I heard from previous applicants.

Like I said, I came from a state school. I feel like my interview group was a pretty even mix of Ivy and not Ivy. The kids I think I can remember were from City College, two from Rutgers, two from Johns Hopkins, Princeton, UT, and the Naval Academy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! is there a Facebook group out there?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure. I think everyone is going to matriculate at different times (depending on gap years and such).

Is someone willing to make a Facebook group?

I've been trying to get in touch with people who I know got in and started adding them on facebook. If you got accepted and are okay with me adding you, send me a message! As soon as I have a handful of people, I'll make a group!

If anyone is in the process of figuring out their new plan for two years, shoot me a message if you don't mind. It's getting hard to figure out what I want to do with this freedom - as weird as that may sound. I was waiting for the results so eagerly, and now that they're here, it's sort of scary to be able to do pretty much anything. Anyway PM me!

Congrats to all the FlexMed people soon to be flexing at Sinai.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm currently a rising sophomore going to Virginia Tech, and I really wanna apply to FlexMed. I realize that realistically Virginia Tech does not rank very high in prestige or elite-caliber, therefore I recognize that I would not have that edge that many of my fellow applicants definitely will.

I'd like to think that I will apply to this program regardless, however I also understand that I should be realistic of my chances regardless of whether I apply. If it's not too much trouble or too personal, would any of you accepted/denied applicants mind sharing your stats with me either on this thread or through PM? I really would appreciate it a lot.

If it helps to give a little insight on myself, I'm currently Biological Sciences major. I've covered 2 semesters of Biology (with Lab), 2 semesters of Inorganic Chemistry (with Lab), 2 semesters of Calculus, 2 semesters of English, and 2 semesters of Entrepreneurship courses. So far my overall cumulative GPA from my Freshman year is a 4.0/4.0. However, in high school I did fairly atrocious. I had all A's Freshman and Sophomore year, but I got 5 B's and 2 C's in Junior Year. I did much better Senior year with all A's (moved up 60 spots in class rank), but of course - the damage to my HS transcript is done. I had a 2120 SAT (660 CR, 720 M, 740 W), again not stellar I realize that.
I know that FlexMed is looking for people who have non-medicine interests. I like to think that I'm extremely involved in the entrepreneurship environment here in Blacksburg, VA. I'm in an Start-up incubator Entrepreneurial program at my school. I'm working on what I like to think is a pretty unique non-profit startup, which I've convinced a visiting CEO to write me a hefty check to invest in. I have an idea how I'm going to write my essays and everything. I also had a research intern job on a lab facility (which was extremely time consuming and difficult with unreasonable work hours)
Is it unrealistic of me to strive towards FlexMed due to my high school grades and my undergraduate institution? I still intend to apply to the program, but it'd be nice to have some insight from someone who's been through the process (regardless of result).

I'm currently a rising sophomore going to Virginia Tech, and I really wanna apply to FlexMed. I realize that realistically Virginia Tech does not rank very high in prestige or elite-caliber, therefore I recognize that I would not have that edge that many of my fellow applicants definitely will.

I'd like to think that I will apply to this program regardless, however I also understand that I should be realistic of my chances regardless of whether I apply. If it's not too much trouble or too personal, would any of you accepted/denied applicants mind sharing your stats with me either on this thread or through PM? I really would appreciate it a lot.

If it helps to give a little insight on myself, I'm currently Biological Sciences major. I've covered 2 semesters of Biology (with Lab), 2 semesters of Inorganic Chemistry (with Lab), 2 semesters of Calculus, 2 semesters of English, and 2 semesters of Entrepreneurship courses. So far my overall cumulative GPA from my Freshman year is a 4.0/4.0. However, in high school I did fairly atrocious. I had all A's Freshman and Sophomore year, but I got 5 B's and 2 C's in Junior Year. I did much better Senior year with all A's (moved up 60 spots in class rank), but of course - the damage to my HS transcript is done. I had a 2120 SAT (660 CR, 720 M, 740 W), again not stellar I realize that.
I know that FlexMed is looking for people who have non-medicine interests. I like to think that I'm extremely involved in the entrepreneurship environment here in Blacksburg, VA. I'm in an Start-up incubator Entrepreneurial program at my school. I'm working on what I like to think is a pretty unique non-profit startup, which I've convinced a visiting CEO to write me a hefty check to invest in. I have an idea how I'm going to write my essays and everything. I also had a research intern job on a lab facility (which was extremely time consuming and difficult with unreasonable work hours)
Is it unrealistic of me to strive towards FlexMed due to my high school grades and my undergraduate institution? I still intend to apply to the program, but it'd be nice to have some insight from someone who's been through the process (regardless of result).
You are not way off the mark for the program. Go for it.

Last edited:
For those who got interviews and/or accepted, could you list your stats and activities?
And also, would someone please upload the essay questions because they seem to be reused... would be very helpful!

--------
Based on these stats, what would my chances of being interviewed for FlexMed be:

GPA: 4.0 (cGPA&sGPA)
Sciences...
Finished: Biology w/ Lab; Chemistry w/ Lab
Currently enrolled for fall: Organic Chemistry, Physics
Math...
AP Credit: Calc 1 & 2, Stats

Psychology major/Chemistry minor
Honors Program
SAT: 2120 highest, 2220 superscore (760 MA, 760 WR, 700 RE)
Activities:
- Referee Basketball & Football
- Intramural captain football & basketball
- coach a team in the high school league division for basketball
- Clinical volunteering (100 hospital- continuing, 120 EMS)
- Shadowing ~20 hours
- Research started summer ongoing through semester

I'm hoping my involvement in basketball and football would give me the outside passion I need to be considered strongly for FlexMed. I am heavily involved in those sporting activities and will definitely continue these interests.
Would anyone who knows anything about acceptances or interviews for the FlexMed judge my potential qualifications?

Based on these stats, what would my chances of being interviewed for FlexMex be:

GPA: 4.0 (cGPA&sGPA)
Psychology major/Chemistry minor
SAT: 2120 highest, 2220 superscore (760 MA, 760 WR, 700 RE)
Activities:
- Referee Basketball & Football
- Intramural captain football & basketball
- coach high school league for basketball
- Clinical volunteering (100 hospital- continuing, 120 EMS)
- Shadowing ~20 hours
- Research started summer ongoing through semester
No chance. You're overqualified to be working at a taco joint. :cigar:

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha sorry about autocorrect..

Otherwise, would you judge my credentials?
No, I won't. What's with this SDN obsession of asking those just as uninformed/still very much embroiled in this process to judge each other? Does another premed's opinion matter and hold so much weight in your life? I got interviewed last year, and realized I didn't want to do the program (didn't get in, anyway). Even those on this page right here who got in just did so, and are not in any unique position to offer their expert advice on whether you have a chance. It's all speculation, so quit obsessing over this ****.

What do you have to lose if you apply and don't even get an interview? A hurt ego and maybe some lost social time from when you wrote your essays. If you have legitimate reasons to apply to the program, do so. Don't go work at a taco joint.

I was accepted to FlexMed as a biomedical sciences major. App submitted 1 week before the deadline.

- HYPSM
- 3.85 cGPA, ~3.8 sGPA (took bio, orgo, physics, and biochem)
- 2380 SAT (780R, 800M, 800W)
- 95/100 high school GPA
- Started doing infectious disease research as a freshman (no pubs at time of application but getting published in Cell/JVI soon!), volunteered at local ID clinics, involved in global health initiatives in Sub-Saharan Africa
- SES disadvantaged ORM

I built my app around my passion for ID, both in the laboratory and in my immediate/global community.

Just some insight for future applicants:
- you will not get into this program if you JUST have good grades.
- this program is about YOUR PASSION. You have to be extremely involved in something INTERESTING, DIFFERENT and UNIQUE!
- I was invited for an interview, with a 3.9 gpa, 2200+ SAT, plenty of extracurriculars, Ivy League , and had so many connections to Sinai. Humanities major. Rejected.
What did my application lack? Potentially involvement in something EXTRAORDINARY - something that could have made me stand out.
- we all have shadowing, research, the great grades, etc, but you really need to consider if you have a demonstrated passion that Sinai would be interested in (Did you start a nonprofit? Did you take a gap year between high school and college to study medicine in rural china?)
The essay questions were along the lines of: 1) tell us about an important experience in your life and what it has done for you?
2) what will flexmed provide for you?
3) what will you do with the extra time given to you - how will this change your future educational plan?

-note: this is NOT the program for you if you are just searching for a way to get out of the MCAT. This is for people who would appreciate the opportunity to free up their undergrad course schedule to pursue the things they are passionate about!!

I hope this post didn't come off harsh, but please, make sure you have a developed, demonstrated passion in your application before applying!!

Reactions: 2 users
@nycstudent123443 Thanks for posting that information, I appreciate it. Nice stats.

@AnelT Damn. Thank you for taking the time to share that. You were undoubtedly a more competitive applicant than I will be, that information is impressive. But your message has definitely made it clearer for me. Push towards expressing my genuine interest in USING FlexMed to pursue my inherent non-medicine interests. And thanks for posting the essay questions!

@MrCon it can certainly be a medicine related interest! Just something that you wouldn't be able to do with your 4 years of undergrad having to take science prereqs and study for the MCAT.

Also, Sinai really likes diversity in all aspects. If you have a special passion, come from a unique background, etc., consider applying. They're quite holistic in their application reviews....

Great insights from other applicants. Reading about the incredible experiences and accomplishments of the other students who were accepted makes me realize just how strong of a class (or part of the class) they've put together.
After going through the app process and reading the past HuMed threads, I've come to the conclusion that:

a) Avoiding the MCAT should definitely not be your primary goal when applying. I strongly believe that the students who were accepted are so strong academically that they would achieve strong MCAT scores if they were to take the test. It's not the test itself, it's the time commitment that's necessary to do well on it (and thus time that you could be using productively for your other, interesting extracurricular pursuits) that is important.

b) You should be strong academically. I firmly believe that you MUST have the numbers to be accepted to this program, regardless of how amazing your extracurricular activities are (i.e. high stats are necessary but insufficient). This is because the school has only a limited academic history by which to assess you and gauge your future performance in medical school. The adcoms in the third FlexMed informational video essentially say that students with "Bs or Cs" should strongly consider waiting to apply the regular way. With no MCAT and only 1.5 years of college + high school, any slip ups in grades are much more harmful.

**c) I have noticed that UNLIKE with HUMED, elite academic undergraduate pedigree seems to have played a much smaller role for FlexMed admissions. Browsing through this thread reveals a wide array of schools (Ivies, mid-low tier state schools and privates). Don't get me wrong, there are still tons of students from Ivies (I go to Columbia) but many students were accepted without the elite Northeast stamp that seemed to be important for HuMed.

d) Continuing with this idea, UNLIKE with HuMed, having already taken traditional pre med requirements did not seem to be deleterious to one's application for FlexMed. In other words, many students seem to have already taken organic chemistry or physics and/or other advanced science courses, even as humanities majors. This did not appear to be the case with HuMed, where taking traditional pre-med requirements often hurt one's chances for admission.

e) That being said, you CANNOT be a "cookie cutter" pre med student. You MUST stand out with some combination of extracurricular activities, awards/accomplishments, and letters of recommendation. Examples of what accepted FlexMed students are doing this summer include: Howard Hughes Summer Research (hyper prestigious research fellowship), leading a project in a 3rd world country for Engineers Without Boarders, and tons of research projects at Hopkins, CHOP, Sinai, Yale and other top REUs. A number fluently speak foreign languages and are going abroad to several different countries.

f) Therefore, you must think carefully about your interests. Get to know faculty who are involved in your academic area of interest (or project leaders, if you are interested in some social issue). Develop your relationship with them and collaborate on projects during your freshman year. By the time you apply, you will already have a well-supported plan and excellent letters of recommendation. Acceptance to FlexMed will allow you to continue pursuing this interest and hopefully make a significant contribution to your area, as well as gain experiences that will be able to enhance your career in medicine.

Good luck everyone! Congrats to everyone who was accepted. It's clearly an incredible group of people that I am honored to be able to be a part of.

EDIT: Stats are 3.9+ cumulative and science. 2250+ SAT. Double major in chem/English. 1 pub at the time of app w/ 1 more expected this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Would anyone mind please letting me know the character/word limits on the three personal statements each?

Would anyone mind please letting me know the character/word limits on the three personal statements each?
I believe the upper limit was 750~1000 words per essay.

Good luck to all future applicants! Mount Sinai is an excellent medical school in an excellent city and I really do think FlexMed reflects the school's dedication to innovation, diversity, and academic freedom. Apply smartly (with all that has been said on this thread one can well gauge whether one would be a competitive applicant), write well, and think deeply about what the gift of freedom would mean to your personal education and future career as a physician.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick response! Was it 750-1000 words per essay, or all the essays together? That's generous!

Did any previous applicants find that applying on the first day helped them, as it does during the normal application cycle? Would it be better for me to submit on October 15th as opposed to in January? On the website it says that application review begins in october, so I'm guessing it's better to submit early?

Did any previous applicants find that applying on the first day helped them, as it does during the normal application cycle? Would it be better for me to submit on October 15th as opposed to in January? On the website it says that application review begins in october, so I'm guessing it's better to submit early?
It makes no difference whatsoever. I submitted mid-Janurary a few days before the deadline and received an interview invite on the same day as everyone else.

How will it sound if I say that I will be changing my major if I get accepted to FlexMed (to something which does not require that much science courses from a major which offers only 24 credits of non-science courses)?
I mean, if I do not get accepted- will that act negatively when I reapply as a traditional student (and do not change my major)?

How will it sound if I say that I will be changing my major if I get accepted to FlexMed (to something which does not require that much science courses from a major which offers only 24 credits of non-science courses)?
I mean, if I do not get accepted- will that act negatively when I reapply as a traditional student (and do not change my major)?
If the non-science based major is something you're passionate about that'll help you be a better doctor, then I think it's what this program is for. If you end up not getting in and not changing majors, I don't think it'll impact your regular decision applications at all. If you end up changing majors and don't get in, just make sure you squeeze in those traditional premed science courses. Even through FlexMed, there are a significant number of courses that need to be taken, so look at that too.

Hey everyone. I am an incoming freshman at UC berkeley and highly, highly interested in applying to this program when the time comes. I'm a Public Health major and have been looking into this program for a couple weeks until stumbling upon this thread. Does anyone here have any advice for me going into college and orienting myself towards this program? Any help is appreciated :)

Hey everyone. I am an incoming freshman at UC berkeley and highly, highly interested in applying to this program when the time comes. I'm a Public Health major and have been looking into this program for a couple weeks until stumbling upon this thread. Does anyone here have any advice for me going into college and orienting myself towards this program? Any help is appreciated :)

I'd say do as you would if you weren't applying to this program and take the usual prereqs anyway

1. Enjoy college. College is not a "bridge" to med school. It is an experience in and of itself.
2. Don't think about this program; that's the best way not to get in

Have some PH research under your belt, connect beyond a surface level to a few professors, but most importantly...ENJOY FRESHMAN YEAR!!

Why won't other research experiences count?
Other research experiences will count. Their major is public health so it makes sense to do public health research. You probably can do any research you'd like as long as it's in something that you're passionate about.

Reactions: 1 users
Why won't other research experiences count?
Sinai is just big on public health. I vouch for the fact that work in PH will be viewed upon very favorably, assumedly both for FlexMed and the traditional route.

In your own words, please discuss the following (Minimum 250 words each):
a.Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional accomplishment.
b.Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional disappointment.
c. Describe how FlexMed will change your educational plan and enhance your future career in medicine. Please concentrate on how you will use the flexibility afforded by FlexMed, and not on the FlexMed requirements.

a.Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional accomplishment.
b.Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional disappointment.
c. Describe how FlexMed will change your educational plan and enhance your future career in medicine. Please concentrate on how you will use the flexibility afforded by FlexMed, and not on the FlexMed requirements.
a) and c) are the same thing from two years ago...

I asked this in the flexmed 2015 thread but got no responses, so the questions this year are:

So for the essays this year, I realize flexmed likes its applicants to be heavily invested in something. Do you guys think it's a good idea to write about the same topic in both your greatest accomplishment and disappointment? I was thinking of making each of my essays flow into each other sort of in this fashion:

a. my biggest accomplishment is this
b. My biggest dissappointment is the same thing in part a because I don't have the time to pursue it further
c. flexmed will allow me the time to pursue the thing I wrote about in part a and take classes in it, possibly pursue a minor, develop it further, etc.

Is this a bad idea, or do you guys think it is better to write about a different thing each for a-c? Anybody have experience with writing the same topic for all of the essays, do you think it helped or hindered you?

I asked this in the flexmed 2015 thread but got no responses, so the questions this year are:

So for the essays this year, I realize flexmed likes its applicants to be heavily invested in something. Do you guys think it's a good idea to write about the same topic in both your greatest accomplishment and disappointment? I was thinking of making each of my essays flow into each other sort of in this fashion:

a. my biggest accomplishment is this
b. My biggest dissappointment is the same thing in part a because I don't have the time to pursue it further
c. flexmed will allow me the time to pursue the thing I wrote about in part a and take classes in it, possibly pursue a minor, develop it further, etc.

Is this a bad idea, or do you guys think it is better to write about a different thing each for a-c? Anybody have experience with writing the same topic for all of the essays, do you think it helped or hindered you?

Personally I think that's a little bit weird. I'm assuming they're looking for different topics on a&b.

Did you guys have to write a personal statement last year (on top of the three essays) ? Or did you only need to write three essays?

I just discovered this program as a high school senior. I've wanted to become a doctor because I have very serious passions about the humanistic side of health care and health disparities. As an African, health disparities have always been something more than statistics for me, so I'm really passionate about creating meaningful change in my community.

But my intellectual passions have always been History and English. I have been very successful in science classes, but the classes that really excite me have always been in Social Studies and English. I'd rather engage in historical research(I'd love to) than research in a lab setting. I've been stressed thinking about how I'm going to combine my intellectual interest with my call-to-service until I discovered this program. I don't want to get my hopes up, but its almost perfect for the type of student I am; skilled in sciences and wants to become a doctor but LOVES the humanities.

Right now I'm sitting at a 3.9 HS GPA, a 33 on the ACT. I'm taking AP Bio and AP Chem as we speak and I finished the first semester with an A. I have confidence in my academic abilities, but what type of extracurriculars should I engage in between now and Sophomore Year of college to make me competitive for this program? I have already done hours of tutoring and athletics but I doubt thats hardly enough for something like this.
Oh and I don't know where I;m going to school yet but I've applied to most schools in the Top 20.

see how you do in your freshman year in college, then think about this...I had a much more stronger profile as a HS student than you but college really drowned me academically...so, wait until the end of freshman year to decide on FlexMed.
Otherwise, you are strong for the HS part of the app.