FlexMed 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you guys submit your apps? Just wondering if they're actually reviewing it on a rolling basis.

Members don't see this ad.

@lady_doctor_23, you're still in good company! but did you get an actual rejection email or are you just assuming because you didn't get an interview invite? Because it seems like I'm in between right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
are they sending out invites in waves or should you assume that if you don't get one, you're probably rejected?

someone let us know if they send/sent out rejections....so I can let go of the little hope I have left

But congratulations to everyone who got an interview. That is quite exciting!! Let us know the details!!

are they sending out invites in waves or should you assume that if you don't get one, you're probably rejected?

If you assume that they are doing a similar process to previous years, then there will be multiple waves of invites and how early you receive an invite will have little bearing on your prospects.

The people reviewing the applications are extremely busy and probably have stacks and stacks to look through. Try not to get worried prematurely.

Nothing yet, but I figured it was a long shot. I am from a school that is not well known. Oh well, it was a chance to work on a personal statement and find out who was excited about doing LORs for me.

What's up with pre-meds these days and defeatist attitudes?! Have some hope!

Congrats on those with interviews ! A person on the admission committee said that the interview process will be happening on a rolling basis and they anticipate the admission process to go through early May . So still have hope guys .

What were your guys' stats/when did you submit your app?
For stats, 3.9+, 2300+
As for submitting my application I did so the night before the deadline so that seems to indicate that they review applications randomly. For those who haven't heard yet don't loose hope! Also I don't believe they update the interview date on the original application page (it didn't for me last I checked). They use a different system going into the interview process.

Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
For stats, 3.9+, 2300+
As for submitting my application I did so the night before the deadline so that seems to indicate that they review applications randomly. For those who haven't heard yet don't loose hope! Also I don't believe they update the interview date on the original application page (it didn't for me last I checked). They use a different system going into the interview process.

Good luck to everyone else!

Good to know. Congrats.

AHHHHHH
well I guess it's the glass half full on not hearing anything back yet.

Also, what email was the invite/rejection coming from so I can look for my dreams/curses.

I believe they won't send out any rejections until they have sent out all the interviews.

Also does anyone who received an interview want to describe what they believe their passion is? Or what they said they would do instead of studying for the mcat and take premed requirements?

Reactions: 1 user
Also does anyone who received an interview want to describe what they believe their passion is? Or what they said they would do instead of studying for the mcat and take premed requirements?
seconded! I would love to hear your educational plans!

I do hope that no matter what happens with FlexMed, all of us will stick to our proposed educational plans despite having to take prereqs/the MCATs :clap:

I do hope that no matter what happens with FlexMed, all of us will stick to our proposed educational plans despite having to take prereqs/the MCATs :clap:

probably not happening with me :(, while I'm still gonna keep at my health policy poli sci type of activities, I'm a little paranoid about risking my GPA by taking alot of the math/stat courses I wanted to take.

For me, no matter what happens, my next year is pretty much locked up. This summer, I am going to do research and take a really cool premed course (that I am really interested in), maybe with lab, too, and work on something called simple central algebras of degree 5 with a professor from the Institute for Advanced Study. I have some mathematics and other courses I wish to take, but if I have to I can squeeze in some Genetics in the fall or Biochem I or Orgo I by the springtime, and then take some more prerequisites in the following summer. So I can't actually follow through with my educational plan without FlexMed (but I would really like to!). It actually would allow me to study abroad, finish my thesis early, and apply to potentially walk with two degrees at commencement (but this is a big maybe).
What two degrees are you talking about?

For me, no matter what happens, my next year is pretty much locked up. This summer, I am going to do research and take a really cool premed course (that I am really interested in), maybe with lab, too, and work on something called simple central algebras of degree 5 with a professor from the Institute for Advanced Study. I have some mathematics and other courses I wish to take, but if I have to I can squeeze in some Genetics in the fall or Biochem I or Orgo I by the springtime, and then take some more prerequisites in the following summer. So I can't actually follow through with my educational plan without FlexMed (but I would really like to!). It actually would allow me to study abroad, finish my thesis early, and apply to potentially walk with two degrees at commencement (but this is a big maybe).

Why are you like, perfect?

I'm also considering doing a dual degree (either a combined 4-year BS/MS or 5-year BS/MPH) which FlexMed would help facilitate greatly.

Does anyone have confirmation for an early rejection? I think it would be in the best interests of students if they sent out rejections earlier rather than later. This would allow students to better plan their schedules sooner rathe r than later.

@choyphin. I am definitely not perfect, but I only have a couple options for this summer and parts of next year. So I only have a couple moves to make if I am either admitted or denied. Basically, I could take genetics and org-chem or biochem and molecular bio. if denied; if admitted, I take more math., take more foreign language, and take a chance to study abroad in a summer term.

@moop. The simultaneous award of a graduate degree and undergraduate degree.

@The Bioethicist. I know absolutely nothing.
In what field? Math? Combined BS/MS is rarely worth it; you're much better off just electing the couple of grad courses you're interested in instead of forcing so many more requirements. If you intend on becoming a doctor, the MS will do you no good. It's just not worth all the tradeoffs.

There's no reason why study abroad in the summer can only happen with FlexMed. I'm certainly not in the program, but had a fantastic summer in Europe myself studying and working part-time at a central bank. I'm still a regular premed. I'm betting that if you weren't so headstrong on taking the MS, getting study abroad in there would be real easy.

Was looking forward to hearing something today. .. guess not!

Nothing here today, either! Maybe next monday :shrug:

I think that I am going to have to call tomorrow. For some reason, my transcript is displaying funny on the application form. I called and the really nice person on the phone told me that it could just be a display issue on my end. So, I might as well check.

Does anyone know if in previous HuMed/SciMed cycles there were weeks where nobody received invites? @Qurmish ?

Is there anything anyone wants me to ask when/if I call?

In previous years invites seemed to be sent out close to weekly. The time table for HuMed/SciMed was very different though. Applications for HuMed were due Oct 1st last year and acceptances were sent about two and a half months later. This program seems to be spaced out more with about a four and a half months from application deadline to acceptances.

I know how anxiety inducing this whole process is, but I would strongly advise against calling too frequently with questions about the admission process.

Nothing is more annoying than neurotics who call for every little thing. Jesus, just calm the hell down, everyone. If you get an email, you'll get an email. If you don't, then you wait a bit more. The real med school process is even more grueling, so start getting into the right mindset. Log off of this damn website if you need to.

Patience is more than just a virtue.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound rude or anything. But honestly, chill the hell out; grab a beer or something. If you can't brave this short app process, forget about medicine – this is what your life will be like (i.e., applying and waiting for results) for the next 10-15 years or so.

@moop
Oh, we can bear alright :) Or at least those who don't think they can will learn to bear/learn that are capable. After all, part of life is learning to deal with uncertainty!

Quoting the Joker from Batman... "Why so serious?" Well, many premeds are clinging on tightly to this notion of physicianhood that not 'achieving' and not knowing whether can be utterly uncomfortable at times.

The forum's just a place where we can share our anxieties/concerns/joy with others who may be experiencing similar feelings about the process. Nothing wrong with that. If reading these threads is increasing your own anxiety, however, I agree that it'd be wise to refrain from doing so... which is arguably hard to do for some people... and that's okay! Let it be.

@moop
Oh, we can bear alright :) Or at least those who don't think they can will learn to bear/learn that are capable. After all, part of life is learning to deal with uncertainty!

Quoting the Joker from Batman... "Why so serious?" Well, many premeds are clinging on tightly to this notion of physicianhood that not 'achieving' and not knowing whether can be utterly uncomfortable at times.

The forum's just a place where we can share our anxieties/concerns/joy with others who may be experiencing similar feelings about the process. Nothing wrong with that. If reading these threads is increasing your own anxiety, however, I agree that it'd be wise to refrain from doing so... which is arguably hard to do for some people... and that's okay! Let it be.
Well, above all, I just didn't want to see that guy call and annoy with the admissions office with the fact that "his transcript looks a little weird," ESPECIALLY if he was already told that it was just a display issue on his end. Adcoms on this cite have cited how annoying and inconsiderate this is, often with negative consequences for the applicant.

@Willard_FlexMed - don't worry about a thing. I called twice over something that would have had an affect on my app. You are not annoying anyone and you are not being inconsiderate. Do not worry about what anyone on this forum says.

@moop - your posts seem a little harsh and do not properly characterize what he said at all. I understand you are trying to do him a favor or look out for him, but you are being harsh and critical with your language: "if you weren't so headstrong"? really? The only reason I say this is because I had similar reaction initially to this poster but my feelings waned over time.

There seems to be a tendency in this thread for things to get out of hand and needlessly personal.

While I agree that there is nothing wrong with calling if there is truly an anomaly in your application, I think that you ought to be cautious about the frequency and types of questions you ask if/when you do call. You can see how it might be pretty off-putting for them receiving a lot of calls related to admissions timeline, average successful student statistics, etc. Any knowledge acquired won't help you in the long run and risks making you come off as more neurotic than you mean to. Unfortunately you only get to display a very limited glimpse into the beautiful and unique snowflake that you are---might as well put your best foot forward.

Are the invites sent out on Mondays usually or do you think they could be sent out any weekday?

I heard from a friend that interviews will be done in groups based on self-selected academic background (computational, biological, and humanities). It looks like the first invites went out to computational science majors and their group will interview on 3/11 and 3/18. I think this may explain some of the discrepancy regarding rolling interview invites and time of application completion.

Reactions: 2 users
I heard from a friend that interviews will be done in groups based on self-selected academic background (computational, biological, and humanities). It looks like the first invites went out to computational science majors and their group will interview on 3/11 and 3/18. I think this may explain some of the discrepancy regarding rolling interview invites and time of application completion.
Speculation aside (though what you say makes sense if it's true), they could just be viewing applications at random. MSSM would've still been way deep in the regular admissions process, so FlexMed reviews and interviews must be given after the normal route is done. Unlike HuMed which all went on at the same time according to current MSSM students.

Speculation aside (though what you say makes sense if it's true), they could just be viewing applications at random. MSSM would've still been way deep in the regular admissions process, so FlexMed reviews and interviews must be given after the normal route is done. Unlike HuMed which all went on at the same time according to current MSSM students.

I don't understand what your point is. HuMed applications were reviewed concurrently with AMCAS applications for twenty years. I promise that this isn't speculation, but you are free to believe whatever you like.

Segmenting students based on area of focus makes a lot of sense. It would be very challenging to compare the relative accomplishments of an engineer and a poly sci major in this program if everyone was lumped together on interview days,

Reactions: 1 users
This makes complete sense. Thank you for letting us know! Is there any way to be sure that the people who already got an interview are definitely computational science majors?