FlexMed 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm, I was going to apply to Flexmed. But now after seeing the statistics of last year, I will more than likely not apply. I was that genius high school student who didn't study nor take it seriously. I had a 4.0 high school GPA and thought I was a mini Einstein. Of course karma had to bite me in the ass and give me a mere 1650 SAT score:dead:. At least I realized the error of my ways. I doubt my current 3.85 GPA and extracurriculars would help in the slightest bit.

Or you went to a really easy high school, haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Haha yeah that could be assumed. It wasn't necessarily easy, but they could've offered more strenuous courses.

Haha yeah that could be assumed. It wasn't necessarily easy, but they could've offered more strenuous courses.
Yeah, 4.0 GPA and 1650 SAT from high school implies that the classes at schools were way too easy. Or you could flip it around and say that the SAT tests the wrong things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, 4.0 GPA and 1650 SAT from high school implies that the classes at schools were way too easy. Or you could flip it around and say that the SAT tests the wrong things.

Well not to be rude to the byum, but it's well known that the SAT is very highly correlated to IQ. So many people have studied the link and found very high correlations between the two scores. You'd almost have to say then that general cognitive ability is the wrong thing to test.

Well not to be rude to the byum, but it's well known that the SAT is very highly correlated to IQ. So many people have studied the link and found very high correlations between the two scores. You'd almost have to say then that general cognitive ability is the wrong thing to test.
Just trying to give naysayers an option. :p

Yes, I am well aware of the correlation. However, I believe that it holds true to those who have actually put forth the time and effort to do well on the SAT.

Yes, I am well aware of the correlation. However, I believe that it holds true to those who have actually put forth the time and effort to do well on the SAT.
Nah, not really. The SAT is beatable via studying, but the best way to get a high score is to just have the skills and knowledge they're testing you on, which isn't very much to begin with..

bynum95, I think you should still apply- just put it to luck...the ADCOM are really holistic.

If a 1650 puts you into the genius/don't need to study for a 4.0 category at your high school, it sounds pretty easy, comparatively. Even if the SAT doesn't directly test you on what you learn in high school, it's still a reasoning test with math and English. A 1650 would be below the 10th percentile at my high school and I didn't even go to one of those ivy-feeder private schools (or a private school at all).

bynum95, I think you should still apply- just put it to luck...the ADCOM are really holistic.

There are people with high stats AND excellent extracurricular activities who still don't get in. Unless OP has amazing, save-the-world non-medical extracurricular activities, I would say it's a waste of money to apply.

lmao no. 1650/2400? No. Any holistic admissions process only becomes holistic once the benchmark numbers game is over and done with. 1900+ is a different story, but a score that's barely above the old 2-section (and new 2-section) SAT score is ludicrous. OP is smart in this regard.

The application opened in August 1 and in the website, they changed the dates from last year today -_- Is anybody applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
i mean yeah i'm not saying 1650 is a good score, just that he doesn't really have anything to gain from ****ting on her score

i mean yeah i'm not saying 1650 is a good score, just that he doesn't really have anything to gain from ****ting on her score
If I wanted to **** on her score, I would've done so when she first posted about it. There's plenty of things to make fun of easily with a score like that, if I wanted to.

However, what I did was respond to someone's reply that she should apply regardless because the application is "holistic," which is just a ridiculous idea. Explaining why must touch on the subject of the score, and hence my response.

Anyone know how much numbers matter? I don't have the best grades, but my interests outside of medicine are very strong and I have clear plan of what I want to do with the flexibility afforded by FlexMed.

Reactions: 1 user
I do not know the answer to your question, but if you are truly passionate towards medicine, you should go for it! My high school scores are not the best either, but I am still going to apply.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a Neuroscience major. Do any of you know if we can list stuff from high school in the activities section as well?

They want us to describe something that led to a sense of personal, academic or professional accomplishment for the first essay and something that led to disappointment for the second. The last one asks what we would do with the flexibility afforded by FlexMed.

I thought you applied last year...you are applying this year also?

i don't know why you thought I applied last year. I was a freshman last year and am a sophomore this year.

They want us to describe something that led to a sense of personal, academic or professional accomplishment for the first essay and something that led to disappointment for the second. The last one asks what we would do with the flexibility afforded by FlexMed.
Interesting second essay. I'm not surprised they combined the "what would you do" essay with the "how would it make you a better physician" essay.

Last edited:
2 questions:

1) When you attach the highschool transcript, is it alright if the highschool transcript is unofficial?
2) How are you guys attaching SAT scores.. I went on collegeboard but I can't find an option to download a pdf of the score reports.. I would just save the entire page as a pdf but it looks unprofessional with all the other collegboard advertising on it, I was also considering just taking a screen shot of my scores and attaching it as a .png file, but what have you guys done?

2 questions:

1) When you attach the highschool transcript, is it alright if the highschool transcript is unofficial?
2) How are you guys attaching SAT scores.. I went on collegeboard but I can't find an option to download a pdf of the score reports.. I would just save the entire page as a pdf but it looks unprofessional with all the other collegboard advertising on it, I was also considering just taking a screen shot of my scores and attaching it as a .png file, but what have you guys done?
1. Get an official copy from your HS sent to you. Signed with school seal if doable.
2. It's called the old school paper score report. Call CollegeBoard and they'll send you one for a fee. Scan it into your computer. But there's really no problem with PDF. Screenshot would actually be more unprofessional, since png is an easily editable file.

2 questions:

I took a screenshot. When it was still HuMed, the website instructions explicitly advised applicants to take a screenshot of the scores if your HS transcript did not include them.

For the activities section do we list only current activities or high school activities as well?

as far as I did, I listed most of my college ones and when there were room left- i listed the HS ones

In your own words, please discuss the following (Minimum 250 words each):
a.Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional accomplishment.
b.Please describe something in your life that has given you a great sense of personal, academic, or professional disappointment.
c. Describe how FlexMed will change your educational plan and enhance your future career in medicine. Please concentrate on how you will use the flexibility afforded by FlexMed, and not on the FlexMed requirements.

So for the essays this year, I realize flexmed likes its applicants to be heavily invested in something. Do you guys think it's a good idea to write about the same topic in both your greatest accomplishment and disappointment? I was thinking of making each of my essays flow into each other sort of in this fashion:

a. my biggest accomplishment is this
b. My biggest dissappointment is the same thing in part a because I don't have the time to pursue it further
c. flexmed will allow me the time to pursue the thing I wrote about in part a and take classes in it, possibly pursue a minor, develop it further, etc.

Is this a bad idea, or do you guys think it is better to write about a different thing each for a-c

^unsure I was definitely thinking about doing the same thing (writing about different research experiences for each question)

^^ you can indeed list high school activities

Do you guys think being a National Merit Scholar would be a big pro in the application?

Has anyone heard anything back from Mt. Sinai that has submitted?

damn, crazy that some of yall have submitted. I'm not even gonna write a word of an essay until this semester ends.

I am planning to do so after the semester ends and I get my grades...I informed my recommenders and did all the essays and stuff- just did not submit it and upload my transcript

Who do you guys recommend I get a recommendation from? I was thinking about asking my PI/post doc but I saw the recommendation specifically asked for people who could comment on your academic merits (or some variation of the phrase, which I can't remember off the top of my head).

I asked my research prof, Physics prof (just to be safe), High school teacher, and my volunteer supervisor