FlexMed 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My gpa is around 3.5 and I have low chances of getting into this program, but I still want to try because I had three people writing my recommendations. However, with a low chances of getting in, will applying to this program lessen my chances of getting in later?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope...watch the video in the website...Basil Hanss mentions about this

Members don't see this ad :)
Is everyone done with their application? I think I'm going to submit tonight!

I have a 3.9 undergraduate GPA (including orgo, physics, biology, gen chem), lots of research experience starting from high school, lots of volunteering, and an interest in the arts (sketching, drawing, painting)

My problem is a lower gpa in high school 3.45 and a 2200 on SAT. Will all my research, volunteering, and great performance in undergraduate counterbalance the high school?

Decent odds for this program?

I wouldn't go so far to say as you're most likely getting in but you have as good a shot as anybody

I'll probably submit tomorrow. need to get a transcript printout first

Submitted! Crazy to think that I've applied to medical school. Good luck to all.

Reactions: 1 user
yo did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting? i got nothing

Nah, but now when I log in it says "application submitted"

Members don't see this ad :)
Do we find out whether we've qualified for an interview or do we gotta wait until June to find out?

Anyone know the time frame as to when we will be notified regarding interview status?

I applied but am not sure how competitive I am:
small LAC-not well known
3.9 GPA-completed calc 3, stat and all mcat sciences + except physics II and biochem
high school gpa- 3.3 (one of the toughest prep schools in country)
SAT-2300 (M-800/ W-770/ CR-730), National AP scholar
emt-b, 300+ hrs of community service this past year in clinical and non-clinical (this is my plan/focus), shadowing in US and india, involved in research for a year, chemistry tutor, pre-health club exec board.

I think it's like between February and March... may be check the 20114 thread and see when people started talking about interviews
Academics- yes, you are strong...ECs- IDK if that is enough for this program...I am a sophomore like you as well
May be, @Purplownz can answer?

Anyone know the time frame as to when we will be notified regarding interview status?

I applied but am not sure how competitive I am:
small LAC-not well known
3.9 GPA-completed calc 3, stat and all mcat sciences + except physics II and biochem
high school gpa- 3.3 (one of the toughest prep schools in country)
SAT-2300 (M-800/ W-770/ CR-730), National AP scholar
emt-b, 300+ hrs of community service this past year in clinical and non-clinical (this is my plan/focus), shadowing in US and india, involved in research for a year, chemistry tutor, pre-health club exec board.

Definitely apply. You have the stats so try and rock the essays/interview.

I think it's like between February and March... may be check the 20114 thread and see when people started talking about interviews
Academics- yes, you are strong...ECs- IDK if that is enough for this program...I am a sophomore like you as well
May be, @Purplownz can answer?

Yep, most people were interviewed between February and May. I think the first batch included all of the engineering/math students.

any chance i'd get an interview?

stats:
3.9 college gpa
3.7 hs gpa
700 CR + 740 M + 620 WR on sat (in one sitting- for another sitting, my WR is 750 but the others are lower)
no clinical or med related activities in HS, but have 400 non clinical hours from hs
in college,
1 year research
part time job and club related to non-medical interest (100 hours)
150 hospital hours
briefly started hospice work- not much hours yet because i just started

my ec's are weak but i hope my stats are fair to get me an ii. is it expectable?

edit: i know my high school activities are very weak, but does anyone know if they value those equally to college activities?

Last edited:
When do you find out if you didn't get an interview? Do they send rejections at interview stage and at the post-interview stage or just everything on June 1st?

I'm an applicant, 0 credibility, but from what I've read you have the stats. Whether or not you get an interview will depend on whether or not you did a good job in your essays convincing them that you have a passion you would use flexmed's flexibility to follow. Basically, you have a sound medschool app, but it all depends on whether your essays turned it into a sound flexmedspecific app.

any chance i'd get an interview?

stats:
3.9 college gpa
3.7 hs gpa
700 CR + 740 M + 620 WR on sat (in one sitting- for another sitting, my WR is 750 but the others are lower)
no clinical or med related activities in HS, but have 400 non clinical hours from hs
in college,
1 year research
part time job and club related to non-medical interest (100 hours)
150 hospital hours
briefly started hospice work- not much hours yet because i just started

my ec's are weak but i hope my stats are fair to get me an ii. is it expectable?

edit: i know my high school activities are very weak, but does anyone know if they value those equally to college activities?

When do you find out if you didn't get an interview? Do they send rejections at interview stage and at the post-interview stage or just everything on June 1st?
I think by about march we will hear about the first round of rejections and interview invites. July 1st is the decision date for those who got interviews.

yes, it is binding!
Please don't respond with inaccurate answers to questions like this if you don't know the correct answer. It is extremely damaging to others when you spread misinformation.

FlexMed is not binding at any point in time. If you are accepted, you do not have say yes (though the yield was voluntarily 100% last cycle). Even if you accept, though you cannot apply to any other med schools or take the MCAT while you're still in program, there is no binding commitment to attend med school. You can back out of the program should you realize you'd rather do something other than med school. The entire point is to allow exploration of other areas, so they will not force you to attend med school 2-3 years after you've gotten in FlexMed. Hypothetically, you could even get accepted, say yes, back out of the program if you don't like Sinai anymore, do regular apps, and get into another med school of your choice, but that would be morally reprehensible.

Source: actual interview day experience.

Please don't respond with inaccurate answers to questions like this if you don't know the correct answer. It is extremely damaging to others when you spread misinformation.

FlexMed is not binding at any point in time. If you are accepted, you do not have say yes (though the yield was voluntarily 100% last cycle). Even if you accept, though you cannot apply to any other med schools or take the MCAT while you're still in program, there is no binding commitment to attend med school. You can back out of the program should you realize you'd rather do something other than med school. The entire point is to allow exploration of other areas, so they will not force you to attend med school 2-3 years after you've gotten in FlexMed. Hypothetically, you could even get accepted, say yes, back out of the program if you don't like Sinai anymore, do regular apps, and get into another med school of your choice, but that would be morally reprehensible.

Source: actual interview day experience.

@enorme

I saw the video and it says that it is binding (you can not take the MCAT) but you can take a GAP year with permission if you get accepted.
Thanks for the explanation @moop

guys i have a 3.80-3.85 at HYP and a 2360-2400 and a bunch of research and XXX ECs and XXX and XXX...

do i have a chance?!?!?!?!?!?!???1?

lol the fact is we all have a slim chance, but there's nothing more anyone can say. let's just relax and wait til March. Lord knows we have plenty else to worry about.

Weird that they don't send confirmation emails. I mean all the things on "application status" are green check marks so I guess I can't conclude anything but that I'm complete. good luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed them with some questions (I ended up not applying- so, it does not matter), and nobody ever replied to them!!!!!!!

Anyone have insight on whether taking another clinical trip abroad would look any better, or just be redundant? Still trying to figure out what to do with my summer.

Anyone have insight on whether taking another clinical trip abroad would look any better, or just be redundant? Still trying to figure out what to do with my summer.
Do what you want. Stuff like this is never the deciding factor.

yeah I wouldn't stress over the decision too much. I'm just going home to shadow, volunteer, and study for the MCAT

anyone know when interview notifications go out?

No idea. Last year they went out in waves starting the last week of February. But I wonder if they'll push it back this time since the decision release date is July instead of June this year.

I called the admissions office and they said interview invites will go out the end of February.

I'm assuming it means that they are or have looked at your application.

Does the status link work for all of you? mine shows me nothing

yeah I don't see anything on mine. Other than the green checkmarks next to the three requirements. Who knows man

Okay, nevermind. I see where it says screening. When you first log in to the application website, and before you click on the FlexMed tab, to the right of "Fall 2015" it says "At Screening".

aw damn mine says "screening complete" ****'s about to get real

Reactions: 3 users
lol is it weird that I feel like there's some sort of intense solidarity between FlexMed Applicant SDNers? Gosh, if I don't get in, I really litotes or icead do. And you know I'm gonna be pumped for when treecat applies and gets into medschool. Good feels.

Reactions: 1 users
Just to let everyone know, I contacted the admissions office, and they said that they have 850 applicants. I recall them saying that they plan to accept half their class through FlexMED this year. The representative said that they don't know exactly how many students they are going to accept yet. It's going to depend on the caliber of the applicants. Assuming that around 70 students get in, this means that we have an approximate 8% chance of getting in.

Good luck to everybody! I applied as well, and I'm just keeping my fingers crossed at this moment. But man, would it ever be awesome if I were to get in. I spent so much time on this application, and I really hope Sinai appreciates "uniqueness." But in the end, it truly is a crap shoot.

Do any of you plan to apply for the University of Rochester Early Assurance program? The only negative side to it is that you still have to complete all the pre-med requirements...

aw damn mine says "screening complete" ****'s about to get real
Hi, did you submit your application pretty early? I submitted mine 10 minutes before the deadline, and I'm not seeing any "screening" memo on my application. I wonder if they scan through this chronologically or based on field of study.

Hi, did you submit your application pretty early? I submitted mine 10 minutes before the deadline, and I'm not seeing any "screening" memo on my application. I wonder if they scan through this chronologically or based on field of study.
I understand the curiosity, but why does it matter? lol

Yeah my status still says "At Screening." But my stats aren't breathtaking. I have a 3.76 from a top research university with a 29 on the ACT from high school. You guys are probably in much better shape than me!